• 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-08-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2017, 10:32 AM
(17-08-2017 09:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  A friend of mine just got back from a two month trip to Europe and everywhere he went people were asking how trump got elected and what the hell were Americans thinking.

The real question is, how could so many Americans believe in such an obvious con-man? A lack of critical thinking skills and general greed and laziness come to mind as probable reasons, plus the usual susceptibilty to emotional appeals. The Republicans had all sorts of other choices in the primaries. Some of them were even reasonable.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-08-2017, 10:44 AM
(17-08-2017 10:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 09:40 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  A friend of mine just got back from a two month trip to Europe and everywhere he went people were asking how trump got elected and what the hell were Americans thinking.

The real question is, how could so many Americans believe in such an obvious con-man? A lack of critical thinking skills and general greed and laziness come to mind as probable reasons, plus the usual susceptibilty to emotional appeals. The Republicans had all sorts of other choices in the primaries. Some of them were even reasonable.

I think a lot of it was that people were sick of business as usual. They didn't want a politician -- they wanted an outsider. Maybe they'll learn from this that that isn't as good an idea as it seems. When you hire someone to do an important job (which is essentially what we're doing when we elect a president), you usually want them to have some relevant experience. You don't want a beginner who has no clue.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-08-2017, 10:47 AM
(17-08-2017 10:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

I think the momentum for Trump wasn't for him as much as the real push was against Hillary.

You have to be odd to be #1.
17-08-2017, 10:56 AM
(17-08-2017 10:47 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 10:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The real question is, how could so many Americans believe in such an obvious con-man? A lack of critical thinking skills and general greed and laziness come to mind as probable reasons, plus the usual susceptibilty to emotional appeals. The Republicans had all sorts of other choices in the primaries. Some of them were even reasonable.

I think the momentum for Trump wasn't for him as much as the real push was against Hillary.

It was about Sanders in many ways. Many, many didn't vote or wrote in third parties in because of Sanders.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2017, 11:00 AM
I sometimes suspect/fear that it was a forward-thinking move by the Republican powers to get Pence into the presidency. They knew he couldn't get the votes and had to know Trump would implode and not make it through a first term. Hell I half expected Trump to say "never mind" between the election and taking office.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
17-08-2017, 11:07 AM
(17-08-2017 10:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The real question is, how could so many Americans believe in such an obvious con-man? A lack of critical thinking skills and general greed and laziness come to mind as probable reasons, plus the usual susceptibilty to emotional appeals. The Republicans had all sorts of other choices in the primaries. Some of them were even reasonable.

That doesn't explain why Republicans didn't choose someone else in their primaries.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-08-2017, 11:10 AM

That makes sense for the general election, but it doesn't explain how Trump won the Republican nomination. That was as big a surprise as the general election was. Maybe the Republicans were splintered too many different ways for any "real" Republican to get a majority, leaving Trump (the outsider) to pick up the pieces.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-08-2017, 11:13 AM
(17-08-2017 11:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 10:47 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I think the momentum for Trump wasn't for him as much as the real push was against Hillary.

That makes sense for the general election, but it doesn't explain how Trump won the Republican nomination. That was as big a surprise as the general election was. Maybe the Republicans were splintered too many different ways for any "real" Republican to get a majority, leaving Trump (the outsider) to pick up the pieces.

Nominating Trump was political malpractice.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-08-2017, 11:22 AM
(17-08-2017 11:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 10:47 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I think the momentum for Trump wasn't for him as much as the real push was against Hillary.

Probably at least part of this; but I think another part is.....a lot agreed with him and actually liked him. I can buy the argument for the general, but winning the nomination.....I think most Republicans got exactly who they wanted because they liked what he was saying, and there's a segment that doesn't want to admit it out loud.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post