The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-02-2017, 05:51 PM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(14-02-2017 05:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't see that happening given the frequencies of our elections. The costs and logistics are too much for the States to handle.

Impeachment will take a long time - one could do the election together with the mid terms.

That could work. They're gearing up for an election anyway albeit not on the scale of a general. Never happen, though. Would take a judge and the argument would be that's why we have a chain of succession.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2017, 05:55 PM
(14-02-2017 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 05:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Impeachment will take a long time - one could do the election together with the mid terms.

That could work. They're gearing up for an election anyway albeit not on the scale of a general. Never happen, though. Would take a judge and the argument would be that's why we have a chain of succession.

Wouldn't a nullified election, unlikely as it is, encompass invalidation of whatever chain of succession exists though? Because the chain depends on the outcome of that election.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
14-02-2017, 05:58 PM
(14-02-2017 05:55 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That could work. They're gearing up for an election anyway albeit not on the scale of a general. Never happen, though. Would take a judge and the argument would be that's why we have a chain of succession.

Wouldn't a nullified election, unlikely as it is, encompass invalidation of whatever chain of succession exists though? Because the chain depends on the outcome of that election.

I don't think there are many judges with the stones to make that call. And if it has to go to the Supreme Court a decision might not come for years after it becomes moot. I'm resigning myself to Pence. Pros: not likely to start WWIII, not a national embarrassment, Cons: I gotta pretend to be Christian again. meh, maybe I can make bank off it.

#sigh
14-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Fuck impeachment!

[Image: guillotine01.gif]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
14-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Somewhat relevant to this discussion is the following report in an Aussie political site. Unfortunately, it's a subscription-only site, so apologies for posting the full text.

The interview technique of Kellyanne Conway:

If you’re baffled by the way the Trump campaign and now administration seems to be able to weather scandal after scandal, Vox has a few answers. The American culture and politics website has put together a video looking at Donald Trump’s campaign manager/counsellor/chief defender Kellyanne Conway and her interview techniques.

Host Carlos Maza (who describes the process of interviewing her as "like trying to staple Jell-O to a wall") interviews former US national debate champion Seth Gannon to breakdown Conway’s superhuman ability to answer questions she has not been asked, and not answer questions she has. They identify four key techniques.

First, Conway’s ability to detect an opening in the question that will allow her to take her answer somewhere else. She will mirror a keyword or phrase in the question at the start of her answer, to give the vague impression she’s addressing the question, before veering off onto whatever topic she’d rather discuss. This is so blatant that at one point, Conway actually pauses and winks as it’s happening.

Second, as happened with much of the Trump campaign, Conway exploits the understood accord between media and politician; in this case, the natural politeness of an interviewer. She knows if she obfuscates enough times, an interviewer is more likely to move on to the next topic than appear rude.

Third, the classic political trick of passing the buck. She has no responsibility for policy and can, in the face of tricky questions on that policy, simply say she doesn’t know.

And finally, she can fall back on the fundamental Trump tactic of simply making something up. Her key role since the start of the administration has been massaging Trump statements into more palatable versions of what they are—see her re-invention of his baseless voter fraud claims as concerns around registration.

The video is light-hearted, but maddening and faintly ominous, because Conway’s gymnastics and refusal to give any clarity on White House positions has not cost her or the administration their platform. As Maza says "just remember, she’s doing her job—it’s the news shows that keep booking her that are letting you down".

Something to bear in mind as Conway is inevitably trotted out on various news shows explaining the Michael Flynn situation, or whatever the most recent scandal is by the time this goes to print.

Charles Lewis

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
15-02-2017, 01:53 AM
I've gotta ask... those of you calling for impeachment ... are you insane?

Lose Trump and the shitfest gets normalised.

With Trump, the people are awake and mobilising. Why would you want to stop that?

Hang in there until the 2018 midterms.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2017, 02:13 AM
(14-02-2017 10:12 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ...
She knows if she obfuscates enough times, an interviewer is more likely to move on to the next topic than appear rude.

US media is Paxman-deficient.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2017, 07:00 AM
(15-02-2017 01:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've gotta ask... those of you calling for impeachment ... are you insane?

Lose Trump and the shitfest gets normalised.

With Trump, the people are awake and mobilising. Why would you want to stop that?

Hang in there until the 2018 midterms.

At this point I think I'd like to see him impeached but not removed. That would really piss him off and he'd remain as a total embarrassment to all the fools that supported him and, with luck, an impediment to changes congress wants to make just because he'd refuse to cooperate out of spite.

I do NOT want Pence to get in. Dumpster is the crazy uncle who gets into trouble and causes a lot of embarrassment but Pence is actively dangerous in his desire to implement a theocracy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-02-2017, 07:10 AM
(15-02-2017 02:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  US media is Paxman-deficient.

Paxman and Stephen Fry... my two man-crushes.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
15-02-2017, 07:18 AM
(15-02-2017 07:00 AM)unfogged Wrote:  an impediment to changes congress wants to make just because he'd refuse to cooperate out of spite.

This is not an unlikely scenario. It may already have started....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man