An interesting article about why the present mess is worse than Watergate:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...te/526443/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-05-2017, 02:50 PM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(13-05-2017 01:42 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 12:02 PM)mordant Wrote:  I certainly hope you are correct. But how likely did anyone think things would be even THIS bad?

What I have seen of Trump is pretty much what I expected. He was always a worst-case example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and for Republicans he was always a useful idiot. When he embarrasses enough people who know better, they will stop cooperating with him even in appearance. I don't think his personality will be able to stand being an almost complete failure of a president. That's why I think he might quit at some point. He almost certainly will not blame himself for his failures.
I agree he cannot stand to be a total failure, which is why he'll never see himself as such. He'd have to be backed into a corner, perp-marched away by marines with machine guns or something.

Actually when he visited NYC recently someone in the protest crowd there knew just how to get to him. The cry was: "New York hates you!!!!".

The question is how much narcissistic supply he can be denied, how much stress he can endure, before he decompensates.

He's a 70 year old man who decades ago buried whatever sense of responsibility / honor / shame he once possessed, though, so I'm not sure he can be broken by the presidency.

What perhaps can be broken by this president's actions is his own party, but that is an open question too. Those rich elitist fuckers see no threat to their wealth, and considerable upside to it, so I think they will just continue to roll with it. Only when Trump turns on them will they scream like little girls. But by then it may well be too late, for them and us.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
13-05-2017, 04:06 PM
I am down to ... better than hillary billary chitones.

In a way i am like militant atheist that side with anybody that is anti religious no matter how stupid they look, and trump looks stupid. oh well, nobody's perfect.
13-05-2017, 04:08 PM
(13-05-2017 02:50 PM)mordant Wrote:  Actually when he visited NYC recently someone in the protest crowd there knew just how to get to him. The cry was: "New York hates you!!!!".

Hate is narcissistic supply as well.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-05-2017, 04:27 PM
(13-05-2017 04:06 PM)AB517 Wrote:  I am down to ... better than hillary billary chitones.

In a way i am like militant atheist that side with anybody that is anti religious no matter how stupid they look, and trump looks stupid. oh well, nobody's perfect.
I don't know ... in an ordinary election between an ordinary libtard and an ordinary conservtard I would just have sat out the election in protest. I nearly always do. In this case, I saw Trump all along as several bridges too far, as an immediate threat to the republic rather than "business as usual" slow death. On top of that, I had me a taste of Bernie who ended up nearly getting nominated despite the liberal elites. He would have been my first reasonably enthusiastic national-level vote in my lifetime.

So it has been quite a roller coaster ride, these past couple of years.

I have a hard time understanding how one could see Clinton as the greater existential threat, but on the other hand, I certainly understand the visceral loathing that people have for the Clintons as people. AND the lack of enthusiasm for their politics, which I share. I literally held my nose while voting. It didn't really help objectively but made me feel a little better.

If I had voted for the Orange One, I might have had to hang myself afterwards. My stepson was leaning that way, just blow everything up, but that's a pretty dangerous and desperate gambit, to risk our democratic institutions, winner take all. He's glad now that he drew back from that brink.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
13-05-2017, 06:45 PM
(13-05-2017 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's like this...

[Image: tumblr_mgbqxlZhxj1rmiafjo1_500.gif]

> Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Thumbsup
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-05-2017, 05:12 AM
(13-05-2017 02:50 PM)mordant Wrote:  Only when Trump turns on them will they scream like little girls. But by then it may well be too late, for them and us.

History is littered with examples of people thinking X was a useful idiot and keeping them around way past their sell-by date, only to be surprised when the said useful idiot had them frog-marched away.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Lawyer Up!

Quote:Outside observers say the signs are growing that Trump’s staff may want to start lining up legal advice, even if it’s only for preliminary discussions.

“If they have information that indicates contact with Russians or attempts to interfere they better damn well,” said former FBI agent Lewis Schiliro, who spent 25 years at the FBI before retiring in 2000 as head of the New York field office. “That’s a pretty serious thing.”

Along with the criminal subpoenas, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz last week requested the Justice Department inspector general examine Trump’s firing of FBI director Comey; the Treasury Department is reportedly going to be sharing records with Senate investigators on Trump’s financial dealings with Russia and beyond; and calls keep coming from Capitol Hill Democrats to the White House to retain all documents related to ongoing criminal probes.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/14...sel-238360
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
14-05-2017, 07:56 AM
I'm actually starting to think that the election of Trump wasn't such a bad thing after all.

If Hillary were elected, she'd be blocked at every turn by the Repubs in congress. (This is a standard right-wing tactic: bleat about how government doesn't work, then go about proving it by blocking everything that's tried. Then blame someone else. Because personal responsibility.)

Now we've seen, up close and first-hand, how ineffective, idiotic, childish and downright stupid Trump and his minions are. This is ultimately going to prove disastrous for the Repubs in the mid-terms - if Trump even makes it that far (so far, betting houses have the odds of him impeached or resigning at 60%).

Latest news is that he's "increasingly isolated and agitated". Some have even suggested that an in-house psychiatrist be available given Trump's increasingly bizarre behaviour.
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post