The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-06-2017, 11:28 AM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(12-06-2017 11:11 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 11:03 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Can't get past the paywall but the Washington Post is reporting that D.C. and Maryland are suing Trump for, among other things, breaching the emolument's clause:

Politico article, no paywall: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/12...-dc-239420

BBC has an in-depth article about it as well, no paywall: Trump sued over foreign payments by attorneys general

The article includes (through a link) a list of Trump's potential conflicts-of-interest. It's a long, long list.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
(12-06-2017 11:03 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Can't get past the paywall but the Washington Post is reporting that D.C. and Maryland are suing Trump for, among other things, breaching the emolument's clause:

"...The lawsuit by the jurisdictions’ two Democratic attorneys general, the first of its kind brought by a government entity, alleges the president has breached his constitutional oath and could open a new front for Trump as he navigates dueling investigations by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and congressional committees..."

Which means he will probably be compelled to release his taxes Banana_zorro
Actually I believe they can obtain them from the IRS as evidence. As can Mueller, and Trump won't even necessarily know that he has done so.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
(12-06-2017 12:55 PM)mordant Wrote:  

"...The lawsuit by the jurisdictions’ two Democratic attorneys general, the first of its kind brought by a government entity, alleges the president has breached his constitutional oath and could open a new front for Trump as he navigates dueling investigations by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and congressional committees..."

Which means he will probably be compelled to release his taxes Banana_zorro
Actually I believe they can obtain them from the IRS as evidence. As can Mueller, and Trump won't even necessarily know that he has done so.

Yes, Justice doesn't need Trump's approval to go through his taxes, though it's unlikely that they'll access them without his knowing about it.
12-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Now it looks like Trump is considering firing Robert Mueller who is investigating the Russian connections with the White House.

'He's weighing that option': Trump associate suggests Trump may fire special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation

From the article:
Quote:Trump's conservative allies have begun to turn on the special counsel, despite initally praising his appointment.

Peculiarly reminiscent of Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" when it became clear that he - Nixon - could very well be impeached and/or indicted in the Watergate conspiracy.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
12-06-2017, 08:11 PM
(12-06-2017 07:29 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Now it looks like Trump is considering firing Robert Mueller who is investigating the Russian connections with the White House.

'He's weighing that option': Trump associate suggests Trump may fire special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation

From the article:
Quote:Trump's conservative allies have begun to turn on the special counsel, despite initally praising his appointment.

Peculiarly reminiscent of Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" when it became clear that he - Nixon - could very well be impeached and/or indicted in the Watergate conspiracy.

Rep. Shiff of California now saying if Trump does this, Congress will appoint Mueller as their Independent Counsel.

"If President fired Bob Mueller, Congress would immediately re-establish independent counsel and appoint Bob Mueller. Don't waste our time."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Reality TV - I feel like I am in the twilight zone!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
12-06-2017, 08:23 PM
(12-06-2017 08:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  Reality TV - I feel like I am in the twilight zone!

I'm amazed he's not Twitter tantrumed yet that Comey's testimony had better ratings than any of his Apprentice episodes after season one ended.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
12-06-2017, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 05:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Schumer mocks Trumps "blessed" round table.
The insane narcissist demands and gets (from most) a declaration of loyalty and praise.
Here they are praising Our Dear Leader. Facepalm

There *must* be a growing fear in Repubican circles for what *Trump's Taint* will mean in 2018/2020. Facepalm
This administration is so unbelievable. Nothing is getting done. All the political oxygen is sucked up by Trump.
Sometimes when you think you're watching a car crash, you really ARE watching a car crash.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2017, 09:03 PM
(12-06-2017 08:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Schumer mocks Trumps "blessed" round table.
The insane narcissist demands and gets (from most) a declaration of loyalty and praise.

There *must* be a growing fear in Repubican circles for what *Trump's Taint* will mean in 2018/2020. Facepalm
This administration is so unbelievable. Nothing is getting done. All the political oxygen is sucked up by Trump.
Sometimes when you think you're watching a car crash, you really ARE watching a car crash.

This reminds me of many years ago when somebody kissed up to the customer, they would get a "Butt Smooch" award. Making sure that the customer gets what they paid for is one thing, but putting one's nose in the customer's ass is not necessary.
13-06-2017, 12:59 AM
(12-06-2017 09:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 09:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  For the record, Comey's testimony are perfectly in line with my assessment of the situation. As for impeachment? Based on what we know so far I think a court would have to rule that Trump's statements to Comey were meant to obstruct justice concerning Flynn, and I don't think his testimony is proof enough of that. I'm far from a lawyer though.

I doubt any court will be involved. Apparently there is some untested Constitutional question as to whether a sitting President can be indicted for criminal offenses.

From the evidence publicly available, I don't think it's applicable in this case, however, to me, say the President is above the law is scary as hell. Makes me shiver and reminds me of this:

Would you say that there are certain situations - and the Huston Plan was one of them - where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the nation, and do something illegal?

Richard Nixon: Well, when the president does it, that means it is not illegal.

By definition?

Richard Nixon: Exactly, exactly. If the president, for example, approves something because of the national security, or in this case because of a threat to internal peace and order of significant magnitude, then the president's decision in that instance is one that enables those who carry it out, to carry it out without violating a law. Otherwise they're in an impossible position.

The point is: the dividing line is the president's judgment?

Richard Nixon: Yes, and, so that one does not get the impression that a president can run amok in this country and get away with it, we have to have in mind that a president has to come up before the electorate. We also have to have in mind that a president has to get appropriations from the Congress. We have to have in mind, for example, that as far as the CIA's covert operations are concerned, as far as the FBI's covert operations are concerned, through the years, they have been disclosed on a very, very limited basis to trusted members of Congress.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post