The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-06-2017, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 01:37 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(26-06-2017 08:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-06-2017 08:20 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  6 justices voted to allow most of Trump's order.

3 justices agreed with the other 6 on the partial ban, but said they would have allowed the whole thing as well. The other 3 wrote "agree with the court that the preliminary injunctions entered in these cases should be stayed."

6+3=9

So the whole ban was approved then, and it's over. Right.
If they had done anything unanimously, they wouldn't be revisiting it in the fall.
Facepalm

That's not what I meant.

It's pretty easy to figure out the math here.

3 justices RIGHT NOW were ready to uphold the entire travel ban. It takes 5. The other judges want to hear both sides make their case. So 6 justices were not ready to say 100% that the entire ban was legal.

However all 9 justices agreed that MOST of Trump's travel ban could take effect immediately. They agreed together, per curiam, on those portions of the ban to keep in place for now. 3 of the 9 said they would uphold the entire ban but all 9 said most of it could go into effect.

That is how I am understanding it. Perhaps BnW or another lawyer could chime in and explain it better. But this is how I understand it from what I've read.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2017, 06:46 AM
So which bits of the ban stand? The newsweek article Bucky linked says this:
Quote:Problem is, the court’s announcement was not a decision at all. All that happened was the head of the country’s legislative branch agreed to hear arguments.

I'm confused. Was there a decision in a court case?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-06-2017, 07:01 AM
(27-06-2017 06:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  So which bits of the ban stand? The newsweek article Bucky linked says this:
Quote:Problem is, the court’s announcement was not a decision at all. All that happened was the head of the country’s legislative branch agreed to hear arguments.

Not really. There was a temporary fix until they take it up upon their return.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-06-2017, 11:58 AM
(27-06-2017 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 06:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  So which bits of the ban stand? The newsweek article Bucky linked says this:

Not really. There was a temporary fix until they take it up upon their return.

By which time the Executive Order will have expired ... so who knows what they will actually have to do.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2017, 02:59 PM
What I don't understand, is how the Supreme Court can tailor the Executive Order to their liking.

I don't think that tailoring contracts or EOs is their job.
Surely they either accept the EO as it is written or they reject the EO as it is written.
When they give their reasons for rejecting it, it should then be up to the Republicans to decide whether to take that feedback and to create a new EO.

Seems very interesting that the new guy Gorsuch was willing to re-instate the ban in its entirety.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
27-06-2017, 04:27 PM
(27-06-2017 02:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What I don't understand, is how the Supreme Court can tailor the Executive Order to their liking.

I don't think that tailoring contracts or EOs is their job.
Surely they either accept the EO as it is written or they reject the EO as it is written.
When they give their reasons for rejecting it, it should then be up to the Republicans to decide whether to take that feedback and to create a new EO.

Seems very interesting that the new guy Gorsuch was willing to re-instate the ban in its entirety.

They are likely expecting complaints to be filed as it is implemented now. So, when they come back it will have expired and they have more complaints to look at. If it is re-filed.

They are not stupid...by far. Trump scores a win and the present ban is good as dead.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Wow.
Republican president. Republican house. Republican senate.
Repeal and replace. Will be an easy slam dunk.

Oh wait.
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2017, 07:50 PM
(27-06-2017 07:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wow.
Republican president. Republican house. Republican senate.
Repeal and replace. Will be an easy slam dunk.

Oh wait.
Angel

Righties have been bleating for the past eight years about how government doesn't work. Now they can point to their own ineptitude and say, "Well, we were correct about something..."
[+] 8 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
27-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Time Magazine has asked Dumpy to take these off the walls of his clubs.
Fake News. Literally. Facepalm

http://www.avclub.com/article/fake-news-...ime-257428

[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2017, 08:46 PM
(27-06-2017 08:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Time Magazine has asked Dumpy to take these off the walls of his clubs.
Fake News. Literally. Facepalm

http://www.avclub.com/article/fake-news-...ime-257428

Quote:Anyway, as depressing as this story is, it provides the glimmer of hope that this whole thing could be over right now if someone just awards Trump a “History’s Greatest President” certificate so he can go home.

Tongue

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post