The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2017, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 05:58 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(14-07-2017 04:58 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I found this to be an interesting headline and how businesses are dealing with the issue:
Businesses in Bar Harbor, Maine are turning to locals to make up for a shortage of foreign guest workers that normally fill summer jobs in the bustling seaside resort town.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/13/shorta...l-workers/

I guess there is a real dark side to this story but CNBC probably won't be on it.Undecided

Yeah, as it turns out, in banning all the 'Mooslims', they managed to nuke honest seasonal workers.

These people would emigrate there to work for the season, then move back out. They took jobs the locals didn't want, because their work was explicitly seasonal and typically low paying. Once the work dried up, they moved on. Locals who stay there year round need a steadier income than 'just summer'.

That's the nature of seasonal tourism.

Now the government allowed them to get away with this, to bolster their workforce with needed foreign labor on a seasonal basis. Their business models have been built around this, it's part of what makes them work.

Now should they have been allowed to? I don't know, that's a much larger and broader question.

Could they have found other ways to incentivize local workers to take those jobs? Sure. Nothing is really going to fix the seasonal part, but better pay, better public transportation, and universal healthcare (which would facilitate a more mobile and interstate citizen workforce) could all help entice Americans to take those jobs, even if they had to move temporarily.

But you know what? Better minimum wages and universal healthcare are core progressive liberal policies, ones I'd like enacted without banning work visas or fear mongering against Muslims.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2017, 05:57 AM
(13-07-2017 08:20 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  But I'll call bullshit on your statement:" I care much more about the actions than the symbolism." Right, All in the context I'll bet.

Fuck you. You know nothing about what I care about and you're the dipshit who brought brought up the fucking flag on "Air Force One" like that actually meant anything even if it wasn't a lie.

We have a smarmy asshole in the presidency who has made appointments aimed at destroying the EPA, education, clean energy, and civil rights. That's something to be concerned about. A fucking flag symbol on a plane is not and yet you brought that up like it was some major point.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
14-07-2017, 06:12 AM
(14-07-2017 05:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 03:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I have only one comment to add to that...

VOTE EvoKills

Big Grin

+1

btw: I agree with EK. The drone program is illegal and against international law by all standards imho. However, and that was the point i was trying to make, Obama at least had the least bit of interest in who those people are and where they are whom he just ordered to be killed.

What can be done about coal miners and their mines?

[Image: media.media.1ca34fe1-1dce-4733-a3b6-a6c8...lized.jpeg]
[Image: Landschaftspark-Zeche-Duisburg-Nord.jpg]

Zollverein, one of the biggest and most productive coal mines....in the 1930s. It attracts 1.5mio visitors annually (in 2010 it was over 2mio). So, fuck you, ark encounter.
Between 1990-2012, 300mio€ (taxes, by the government) were invested in transforming it. It harbors now various companies related to the arts, culture, design and tourism. They are employing 1000 people.
Visitors of the facility alone are delivering 68mio€ annually with tickets, 11mio additional taxes are returned annually for the investment. A further 1400 people are employed in gastronomy near the location, returning even more of the investments with taxes paid. Its benefits have radiated into the nearby parts of Essen.
Yes, that is people having fun doing some ice skating

[Image: thomas_willemsen-zv-2009-07-26-gf-079.jpg]
[Image: 12_5_Zollverein.jpg]

Wow, that is a super cool take on revitalization. Growing up in and around Pittsburgh, I have an appreciation for creative revitalization and innovation. It's kinda the city's thing.

An Innovation Case Study: Pittsburgh - Can a midsize Rust Belt city compete with Silicon Valley?

[Image: midwest_pittsburgh_careers-tout_GettyIma...cpy=Center]

[Image: Pittsburgh-Pano-Crop.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-07-2017, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 06:30 AM by Deesse23.)
Thats why this whole "rust belt and coal miners" thing just makes people over here yawning big time. We had this problem in the late 80s and 90s with the "Ruhrgebiet". We learned back then that there is no way to save mining. Make no mistake, we had exactly the same learning curve/process. First coal was severly subsidiarised. At some point it became so heavy that the general population became aware of it. Then there was a fight beweeen the miners and the rest of the population. Miners wanted to keep their jobs, the rest saw no point in paying for the miners jobs. Politicians first backed up miners (a big part of the electorate, especially, when you are the Social Democrats and in control of government Smile , but later on they had to admit (after lots of studies were made) that there is only one way: Out and forward, into a future, not into the *oh so bright* past.
Since we DO give a shit about our countrymen, we finally accepted that government needed to invest with taxes to get Ruhrgebiet back up and running, and thats hwere we are now. Noone was happy that this had ot be paid, but what has to be done, has to be done.

At its peak they had 500.000 people employed. How many is Trump talking about again? 50.000? Laugh out load

We have event parks now, museums, all kinda shit. I bet you can come up with at least as many good ideas (you have even more money and resources to do so!). Why this "bring back coal mining" bullshit, when its clear that its cheaper to import 10t of coal from China than to mine 1t somewhere in PA or WV?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 8 users Like Deesse23's post
14-07-2017, 07:46 AM
(14-07-2017 05:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What can be done about coal miners and their mines?

[Image: media.media.1ca34fe1-1dce-4733-a3b6-a6c8...lized.jpeg]
[Image: Landschaftspark-Zeche-Duisburg-Nord.jpg]

Zollverein, one of the biggest and most productive coal mines....in the 1930s. It attracts 1.5mio visitors annually (in 2010 it was over 2mio). So, fuck you, ark encounter.
Between 1990-2012, 300mio€ (taxes, by the government) were invested in transforming it. It harbors now various companies related to the arts, culture, design and tourism. They are employing 1000 people.
Visitors of the facility alone are delivering 68mio€ annually with tickets, 11mio additional taxes are returned annually for the investment. A further 1400 people are employed in gastronomy near the location, returning even more of the investments with taxes paid. Its benefits have radiated into the nearby parts of Essen.
Yes, that is people having fun doing some ice skating

[Image: thomas_willemsen-zv-2009-07-26-gf-079.jpg]
[Image: 12_5_Zollverein.jpg]

Only the Germans ... <shakes head in admiration>
14-07-2017, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 08:07 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(14-07-2017 04:58 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I watch and read enough news to know it's not worth much more time than it currently gets.

If someone posts an opinion not in line with TTA pack, whoo-boy chum in the water time.
I'm asked: Why do I like Trump?
WTF?
I have decided to accept that this guy is our president and I'm trying to make lemonade out of the choice the DNC & Hillary made possible.

I never said I even like this lemonade, but any slack given to this administration equates to 110% support - in the posters' assessment at TTA.

I gave you a cogent and generally courteous reply [ETA -- not as courteous as I should have been], without personal attacks. It's a discussion. I'm not going to attack you personally simply for your political views unless you have a go at me. I'm content with civil disagreement in a discussion.

If you don't want this discussion, let me know. I don't care to waste my time trying to engage you if this is the sort of reply I can expect.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-07-2017, 08:03 AM
I don't know if this really belongs here, unless a President can be impeached for cluelessness, but I couldn't find a "dumb stuff Trump says not on Twitter" so:

Quote:The president further detailed Wednesday that the wall would necessitate materials or a design that would allow for persons to have the ability to see through to the other side. Trump explained the requirement by providing an example in which smugglers attempt to move drugs over a theoretical partition.

"As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them -- they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over," said Trump. "As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall."

Um, because ..? Because you don't want those drug smugglers to be hurt when they might not have good health insurance? Yes

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wall-trum...d=48625198

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 9 users Like Rockblossom's post
14-07-2017, 08:40 AM
(14-07-2017 08:03 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
Quote:The president further detailed Wednesday that the wall would necessitate materials or a design that would allow for persons to have the ability to see through to the other side. Trump explained the requirement by providing an example in which smugglers attempt to move drugs over a theoretical partition.

"As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them -- they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over," said Trump. "As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall."

When I heard about this on the news this morning, I couldn't believe it was real. I thought it must be fake news, even though I don't like Trump.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
14-07-2017, 08:53 AM
(14-07-2017 08:03 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  "As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall."

I think you should go with this. Totes swell and hip Rolleyes

[Image: mirror-fence-garden-design-backyard-ideas-3.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
14-07-2017, 08:55 AM
(14-07-2017 08:40 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  When I heard about this on the news this morning, I couldn't believe it was real. I thought it must be fake news, even though I don't like Trump.

Welcome to the world of being seriously embarrassed by your head of state.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post