The Trumpocalypse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 02:39 AM
The Trumpocalypse
Okay, so.

Without ruling out the possibility that someone here voted for the guy, a lot of people here were dismissive (at best) of the possibility of President Trump.

Now that it's happening, what will he and the rest of the Party of God do that will impact American atheists? And I don't mean something like "ruin X which will impact atheists because it impacts everyone". I mean, impact atheists, specifically.

I'm worrying about a dual-pronged scenario. Trump nominates, and the Republican Senate approves, religiously conservative Supreme Court justices. With the help of these justices, the religious right manage to get the handful of precedents on which our rights as atheists hinge. We would no longer benefit from the same protected-class status as attaches to religious people -- there would no longer be freedom from religion. Meanwhile, as the other prong, some version of a Religious Freedom Restoration Act gets passed federally except in cases of protected classes... which we would no longer qualify as. Suddenly federal law and courts would be clearly and unambiguously on the side of evangelical teachers who force public school students into prayer, of landlords and employers who openly discriminate on religious grounds, and of businesses who refuse to do any business with atheists. And if you're in a more liberal state with laws prohibiting that? Too bad, federal law would trump it.

So that's the anti-atheist scenario I'm worrying about. It's not exactly train cars, camps, and ovens, but I regard it as realistic -- at least a 10% chance, maybe higher than 50%.

What about you? What kind of badness do you see on the horizon?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-11-2016, 02:43 AM
RE: The Trumpocalypse
Trump and Putin's bromance falls out, one calls the other a poopyhead; next thing you know Fallout 4 is a LARP.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-11-2016, 04:15 AM
I'm reminded of 8 years ago, when the right wing extremists were barking "Obama is going to institute Sharia law!!!"....

Still waiting....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Remove worker's rights and protect employers to allow them to fire you for not being a Christian. Or to discriminate against hiring you because they did an online search and suspected that you weren't. This means that being out about not being a Christian has real financial consequences. Or even that you have to pretend to be keen Christian. Fewer people will be out meaning that it will seem more abnormal to question Christianity and people are less likely to come across arguments that make them question their own faith. This leads to fewer people deserting Christianity.

The laws will be sold as protecting the religious freedom of employers. They are already tabling the First Amendment Defense Act to protect the religious freedom of businesses.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
20-11-2016, 05:22 AM
(20-11-2016 02:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Trump and Putin's bromance falls out, one calls the other a poopyhead; next thing you know Fallout 4 is a LARP.

What's a LARP ?
20-11-2016, 05:24 AM
(20-11-2016 05:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 02:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Trump and Putin's bromance falls out, one calls the other a poopyhead; next thing you know Fallout 4 is a LARP.

What's a LARP ?

live action role playing game

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-11-2016, 05:26 AM
(20-11-2016 05:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 05:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  What's a LARP ?

live action role playing game

Thanks OLB I think my kids enjoy them I'm hopelessly out of date, I feel really old Weeping
20-11-2016, 05:30 AM
(20-11-2016 05:26 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 05:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  live action role playing game

Thanks OLB I think my kids enjoy them I'm hopelessly out of date, I feel really old Weeping

She ain't hit 50 yet -- and she "feels really old"....

Holy shit....

I'm now officially older than dirt.....

Big Grin

20-11-2016, 05:39 AM
(20-11-2016 05:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 05:26 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks OLB I think my kids enjoy them I'm hopelessly out of date, I feel really old Weeping

She ain't hit 50 yet -- and she "feels really old"....

Holy shit....

I'm now officially older than dirt.....

Big Grin

Never you're like Peter panBig Grin
20-11-2016, 06:42 AM
(20-11-2016 04:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm reminded of 8 years ago, when the right wing extremists were barking "Obama is going to institute Sharia law!!!"....

Still waiting....

If he campaigned on implementing Sharia law that might be a relevant point.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post