The Trumpocalypse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: The Trumpocalypse
(20-11-2016 06:42 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 04:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm reminded of 8 years ago, when the right wing extremists were barking "Obama is going to institute Sharia law!!!"....

Still waiting....

If he campaigned on implementing Sharia law that might be a relevant point.

Or if his party was known for implementing Sharia law in states they'd controlled up until then...

.... or were just calling for it...

... or had any notable supporters calling for it....

... or if the competing party's platform didn't have more in common with Sharia law than his own party's did...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks Trump supporters, you've fucked us all:

North Pole above freezing in sign of 'sudden' and 'very serious' climate change

Climate change may be escalating so fast it could be 'game over', scientists warn

Quote:But, if leading scientists writing in one of the most respected academic journals are right, planet Earth could be on course for global warming of more than seven degrees Celsius within a lifetime.

And that, according to one of the world’s most renowned climatologists, could be “game over” – particularly given the imminent presence of climate change denier Donald Trump in the White House.
20-11-2016, 08:35 AM
(20-11-2016 08:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Thanks Trump supporters, you've fucked us all:

Climate change may be escalating so fast it could be 'game over', scientists warn

Quote:But, if leading scientists writing in one of the most respected academic journals are right, planet Earth could be on course for global warming of more than seven degrees Celsius within a lifetime.

And that, according to one of the world’s most renowned climatologists, could be “game over” – particularly given the imminent presence of climate change denier Donald Trump in the White House.
Shocking That is scary, I'm glad myself and my kin will all be dead before this happens.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
20-11-2016, 08:42 AM
I really don't think anything will be done targeting non-believers. As OLB said we're still waiting for Sharia Law from Obama. The 1st amendment isn't going to get an asterisk next to it to exclude us little atheists.

Oh, and btw OLB, when do you apply for your Fossil Designation Badge?
[Image: fossil.jpg]

I get mine in 3 years, 6 weeks. Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-11-2016, 08:44 AM
(20-11-2016 02:39 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay, so.

Without ruling out the possibility that someone here voted for the guy, a lot of people here were dismissive (at best) of the possibility of President Trump.

Now that it's happening, what will he and the rest of the Party of God do that will impact American atheists? And I don't mean something like "ruin X which will impact atheists because it impacts everyone". I mean, impact atheists, specifically.

I'm worrying about a dual-pronged scenario. Trump nominates, and the Republican Senate approves, religiously conservative Supreme Court justices. With the help of these justices, the religious right manage to get the handful of precedents on which our rights as atheists hinge. We would no longer benefit from the same protected-class status as attaches to religious people -- there would no longer be freedom from religion. Meanwhile, as the other prong, some version of a Religious Freedom Restoration Act gets passed federally except in cases of protected classes... which we would no longer qualify as. Suddenly federal law and courts would be clearly and unambiguously on the side of evangelical teachers who force public school students into prayer, of landlords and employers who openly discriminate on religious grounds, and of businesses who refuse to do any business with atheists. And if you're in a more liberal state with laws prohibiting that? Too bad, federal law would trump it.

So that's the anti-atheist scenario I'm worrying about. It's not exactly train cars, camps, and ovens, but I regard it as realistic -- at least a 10% chance, maybe higher than 50%.

What about you? What kind of badness do you see on the horizon?

For me, the overriding concern is that with the help of Congress and his cabinet, he will make America great again. I have my work cut out making sure that my son comes out unscathed through four formative years of American greatness.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
20-11-2016, 08:45 AM
(20-11-2016 08:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Thanks Trump supporters, you've fucked us all:

Miami is already regularly flooding.
http://www.google.com/search?q=streets+o...LC-EayM%3A
http://www.npr.org/2016/05/10/476071206/...-willpower

We'll see how many of these people who voted for Mr. "Climate Change Is A Hoax" do so again after 4 more years of this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2016, 11:24 AM

It's just another example of voter suppression. Very clever.

[Image: before_zpsdk3q7fts.png][Image: after_zpszwaanszc.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-11-2016, 12:17 PM
The question is, what is Trump's definition of great ?
Great for him ?
Great for his companies ?

What does his version of greatness mean ?
Is a great America, a more racist America ?
More discrimination, more pollution, less regulation, more emission of green house gases ?

Will he pull out of climate change treaties ?

And then we have the rest of world looking at the US as a large source of world killing pollution in the form of green house gas emissions.

Next we have UN sanctions imposed on the US.
Trade embargos. Isolation on a world stage. Travel restrictions and then countries are going to go to war, in order to save the human species from extinction.

Now, all of this won't happen in 4 years, but this is how I see it going down.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-11-2016, 03:07 PM
The first step is going to be the sanctioning of discrimination, as long as the discrimination is based on "sincerely held religious views," but with the only views being approved, once case law develops here, being Christian or, occasionally, Jewish. (Frankly if I were Jewish, I'd wouldn't feel too complacent about this set of affairs)

The next step is to start enforcing the local and state laws, still on the books in many places, that give second-class status to atheists by forbidding them to hold public offices or sit on juries, etc. Then these laws can be expanded to more states and eventually the federal level.

Once discrimination against the nonreligious/nonconformist is both legal and applauded, the next step in the process will be sanitizing the public arena so that Christians can go shopping without the risk of encountering two men holding hands, drive without their eyes being assaulted by an atheist-POV billboard, and attend school without their minds being messed with by science and logic. This will require some serious messing with the law and the Constitution, but with free thinkers silenced, they'll have time and power to mess with it.

I don't know how things will shake out. I'm uneasy because I've encountered too many Christians who are fundamentally opposed to any live and let live philosophy. The best-case scenario is that non-Christians are okay as long as they are invisible and have no political power or voice. I don't want to contemplate the worst case, but I'm nervous that it will exceed my worst dystopian nightmares.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
20-11-2016, 03:15 PM
(20-11-2016 12:17 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The question is, what is Trump's definition of great ?
Great for him ?
Great for his companies ?

What does his version of greatness mean ?
Is a great America, a more racist America ?
More discrimination, more pollution, less regulation, more emission of green house gases ?

Will he pull out of climate change treaties ?

And then we have the rest of world looking at the US as a large source of world killing pollution in the form of green house gas emissions.

Next we have UN sanctions imposed on the US.
Trade embargos. Isolation on a world stage. Travel restrictions and then countries are going to go to war, in order to save the human species from extinction.

Now, all of this won't happen in 4 years, but this is how I see it going down.

If his henchmen go ahead and dismantle Medicare and the ACA some of the people who voted for him aren't going to think America is all that great anymore. trump's election is one of those situations that should be filed under "be careful what you wish for'".......at least for his supporters.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post