*applaud*

This guy speaks truth. So much truth.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
14-02-2016, 06:06 AM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
Although I agree with most of what he says, I gotta say this.

Art is not just about skills. We could then turn it around and ask ourselves: Does talent make you an artist? Say, Justin Bieber?

If you can see why Justin Bieber is not an artist despite his talent, you can see why art sometimes does not require skills in its actual crafting, but rather ideas and innovations.

Not that I consider poop tins art. Just saying.

*Edited to add:
I have a hard time considering extremely realistic copies of a portrait or a landscape as art. It's just a copy, like you printed it. Does it take talent? Sure, lots of it. But is it art? Not sure.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
14-02-2016, 07:29 AM
"Modern" art has been taking the piss since 1917, at least. I mean literally taking the piss.

[Image: duchamp-urinal.jpg]

Compare:

[Image: the_hay_wain.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-02-2016, 07:39 AM
I learned a new word: Tat- anything that ​looks ​cheap, is of ​low ​quality, or in ​bad ​condition

My apartment right now is a fucking masterpiece. Maybe I could take some pictures of my dirty laundry and sell them to an art gallery.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-02-2016, 07:44 AM
That's post-mortem or post modern. Really both

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-02-2016, 07:50 AM
I remember when I was a wee lad, at my first duty station -- at the US Coast Guard Marine Safety Office in Anchorage Alaska -- at the then new Federal Building at 701 C street (for those who know the city).....

Part of the price of the building -- by federal statute --- had to be devoted to artwork for display in the building....

GSA (General Services Administration) contracted a "famous" local artist and commissioned a large painting. It was (approximate) 8 feet x 20 feet -- (0n 3 panels).....

I was there at the "unveiling" --- as were most of the rest of the guys from our office....

This woman who was doing the presenting rambled on and on about this particular artist and his "masterpiece".....

They finally pulled off the sheet covering it --- to stunned silence........

Me -- being me -- couldn't resist.... "Holy Shit" I said... "They sent us the dropcloth"......

Indeed -- the "painting" was easily identifiable in it's use of "technique" --- you could clearly see where this cretin had used a roller, a 8 inch pain brush, and what appeared to be cup fulls of multicolored paint thrown about, on a white canvas....... It really did look like a dropcloth......

The lady presenting began scolding me -- chiding my "lack of appreciation" of modern artwork....

The executive officer of our station -- a big, crazy ol' boy from Texas - put his arm around me and proclaimed.... "The boy can't keep his mouth shut, but he can't lie for shit either......."

The painting was always referred to, by those who worked in the building as "The Dropcloth"....

edit to add...

Holy shit -- bless the internet -- I found it ----

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4T0Y1n7aUsiDHcwWk2M-...QWvdw6-ocS]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-02-2016, 07:57 AM
^It's... beautiful
[Image: o.gif~c200]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I have a minor in art history. This video eloquently sums up my thoughts on modern art. I once pissed off a professor who specializes in the subject. I had sat through the end of a previous class and was talking to my friends who were in the following course. The professor walked in while I was saying similar things to the video. She wasn't very pleased.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
14-02-2016, 09:44 AM
I like some abstract art, don't care for some, and regard "performance art" as being people who wish they were skilled enough to be musicians, but aren't.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post