The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 09:59 AM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
(14-02-2016 07:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I remember when I was a wee lad, at my first duty station -- at the US Coast Guard Marine Safety Office in Anchorage Alaska -- at the then new Federal Building at 701 C street (for those who know the city).....

Part of the price of the building -- by federal statute --- had to be devoted to artwork for display in the building....

GSA (General Services Administration) contracted a "famous" local artist and commissioned a large painting. It was (approximate) 8 feet x 20 feet -- (0n 3 panels).....

I was there at the "unveiling" --- as were most of the rest of the guys from our office....

This woman who was doing the presenting rambled on and on about this particular artist and his "masterpiece".....

They finally pulled off the sheet covering it --- to stunned silence........

Me -- being me -- couldn't resist.... "Holy Shit" I said... "They sent us the dropcloth"......

Indeed -- the "painting" was easily identifiable in it's use of "technique" --- you could clearly see where this cretin had used a roller, a 8 inch pain brush, and what appeared to be cup fulls of multicolored paint thrown about, on a white canvas....... It really did look like a dropcloth......

The lady presenting began scolding me -- chiding my "lack of appreciation" of modern artwork....

The executive officer of our station -- a big, crazy ol' boy from Texas - put his arm around me and proclaimed.... "The boy can't keep his mouth shut, but he can't lie for shit either......."

The painting was always referred to, by those who worked in the building as "The Dropcloth"....

edit to add...

Holy shit -- bless the internet -- I found it ----

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4T0Y1n7aUsiDHcwWk2M-...QWvdw6-ocS]

Actually, I like it. Smile

It looks like giant confetti moving around.

Sorry. Blush

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-02-2016, 10:04 AM
[Image: tumblr_nr25piSQTX1uxbwf5o1_400.gif]
[Image: 61d5675dd6ad35792ae015d3a14db93c-performance1.GIF]
[Image: tumblr_m84bz4YyfA1qzt4vjo1_500.gif]
Feeling cultured yet?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Silent Hill III?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Seems to me that a bunch of critics and teachers got together to promote no-talent hacks and scam the gullible nouveau riche. So, there's that. Dodgy

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-02-2016, 10:14 AM
(14-02-2016 09:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 07:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I remember when I was a wee lad, at my first duty station -- at the US Coast Guard Marine Safety Office in Anchorage Alaska -- at the then new Federal Building at 701 C street (for those who know the city).....

Part of the price of the building -- by federal statute --- had to be devoted to artwork for display in the building....

GSA (General Services Administration) contracted a "famous" local artist and commissioned a large painting. It was (approximate) 8 feet x 20 feet -- (0n 3 panels).....

I was there at the "unveiling" --- as were most of the rest of the guys from our office....

This woman who was doing the presenting rambled on and on about this particular artist and his "masterpiece".....

They finally pulled off the sheet covering it --- to stunned silence........

Me -- being me -- couldn't resist.... "Holy Shit" I said... "They sent us the dropcloth"......

Indeed -- the "painting" was easily identifiable in it's use of "technique" --- you could clearly see where this cretin had used a roller, a 8 inch pain brush, and what appeared to be cup fulls of multicolored paint thrown about, on a white canvas....... It really did look like a dropcloth......

The lady presenting began scolding me -- chiding my "lack of appreciation" of modern artwork....

The executive officer of our station -- a big, crazy ol' boy from Texas - put his arm around me and proclaimed.... "The boy can't keep his mouth shut, but he can't lie for shit either......."

The painting was always referred to, by those who worked in the building as "The Dropcloth"....

edit to add...

Holy shit -- bless the internet -- I found it ----

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4T0Y1n7aUsiDHcwWk2M-...QWvdw6-ocS]

Actually, I like it. Smile

It looks like giant confetti moving around.

Sorry. Blush

I like it, too. Unsure
14-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I like modern art, granted some of it is a little out there. One purpose of art is to create a dialogue and it certainly does that.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah, some modern art is nonsense. I was an art major for a while and had to sit through lots of modern art crap.

White on White is one of them. It's from 1918

[Image: -1x-1.jpg]

Then in the 1950's an artist went one step further and did a art piece called White Painting. It's white house paint rolled on a canvas. For your viewing pleasure..

[Image: -1x-1.jpg]

But I rather like this piece though. Now at first sight it's a cup, saucer and spoon lined in fur but then think about actually eating from this. The feel of food inside ones mouth is the total opposite of fur. It slows down the saliva glands just looking at the piece.

[Image: moma+furry+cup.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-02-2016, 10:28 AM
(14-02-2016 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: moma+furry+cup.jpg]
That one is legitimately good art, IMO. It's pretty clever

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-02-2016, 10:28 AM
I remember when Pepper Pots got upset because Tony was going to give away some of their "modern art". I thought it was a patch covering a hole in the wall.
14-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Step out the front door like a ghost
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white.

[Image: wow.jpg]

#sigh