The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
(14-02-2016 11:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I liked the orange swirly one from the video.

Meanwhile ... is modern art an indicator of social maturity?

Given the choice, would you prefer to be a part of a society that values art (hits and misses) and considers that time is well spent critiquing critiques of critiques or of a society that values art not?

Dodgy
Well, that's the thing. Many people don't consider modern art to be art at all. Consider

And if you administered sodium pentothol, you'd likely get the same opinion from a fair share of the "artists"......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2016, 11:58 AM
(14-02-2016 11:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  cough cough ... Ted Stevens ... cough cough

He had nothing to do with it.....

Federal Building..... comprende???

cough cough .... U.S. Senator ... cough cough. That's like saying Robert Byrd had nothing to do with the tops in the nation roadways in West Virginia.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-02-2016, 11:59 AM
[Image: tumblr_nfnw1nHiMp1qdw1kro1_400.gif]

Tongue

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
14-02-2016, 12:01 PM
(14-02-2016 11:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  He had nothing to do with it.....

cough cough .... U.S. Senator ... cough cough. That's like saying Robert Byrd had nothing to do with the tops in the nation roadways in West Virginia.

Uh... No....

The REASON this "painting" was commissioned is FEDERAL STATUTE requires that a percentage of any Federal Building that is being built will earmark funds for artwork from artists from the state the building is being constructed.

The State, or any State official OR any US Senator has absolutely nothing to do with that procurement. It's done by GSA......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-02-2016, 12:05 PM
(14-02-2016 12:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  cough cough .... U.S. Senator ... cough cough. That's like saying Robert Byrd had nothing to do with the tops in the nation roadways in West Virginia.

Uh... No....

The REASON this "painting" was commissioned is FEDERAL STATUTE requires that a percentage of any Federal Building that is being built will earmark funds for artwork from artists from the state the building is being constructed.

The State, or any State official OR any US Senator has absolutely nothing to do with that procurement. It's done by GSA......

Who makes FEDERAL STATUTEs? The GSA sure as shit don't.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-02-2016, 12:24 PM
(14-02-2016 11:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  cough cough ... Ted Stevens ... cough cough

He had nothing to do with it.....

Well, as a Senator who chaired the Senate Appropriations Committee, I'm sure he could wield influence on that decision.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-02-2016, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2016 11:03 PM by CleverUsername.)
Ooooooh yes, I can't tell you how many times I started typing up a similar rant on here and then subsequently deleted it.

I'm an art major. On campus there are two galleries; one for "professionals" and one for students. For my 3D Design class I had to occasionally go into them and write a page on one of the works in them (describe it, how it was made, what it was trying to say, and write a haiku), and I hated it.

The professional gallery was a bit better (still nothing actually worthwhile from my perspective), but the student one was just absolutely awful.

A parking stop put on the wall.

A pile of coat hangers.

A cinder block made out of hair.

A drawing (not even a good one) of one person pissing on another person.

Know what they all say? "I was created by a pretentious ass wipe." But I couldn't put that down on the page, so I had to pretend I gave a shit.

And now that I no longer have that class you can sure as hell bet I haven't set foot anywhere near either of the galleries.

Also, while the school itself is slightly better with this, as an animation major, the whole thing doubly pisses me off, because the general art world rarely ever acknowledges our medium, which is full of beautiful stuff that actually took effort, but are tripping over themselves to declare literal garbage high art. Dodgy

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
14-02-2016, 01:07 PM
(14-02-2016 11:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I liked the orange swirly one from the video.

Meanwhile ... is modern art an indicator of social maturity?

Given the choice, would you prefer to be a part of a society that values art (hits and misses) and considers that time is well spent critiquing critiques of critiques or of a society that values art not?

Dodgy
Well, that's the thing. Many people don't consider modern art to be art at all. Consider
I guess they also don't consider song lyrics to be poetry

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-02-2016, 01:49 PM
(14-02-2016 12:38 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Ooooooh yes, I can't tell you how many times I started typing up a similar rant on here and then subsequently deleted it.

I'm an art major. On campus there are two galleries; one for "professionals" and one for students, for my 3D Design class I had to occasionally go into them and write a page on one of the works in them (describe it, how it was made, what it was trying to say, and write a haiku), and I hated it.

The professional gallery was a bit better (still nothing actually worthwhile from my perspective), but the student one was just absolutely awful.

A parking stop put on the wall.

A pile of coat hangers.

A cinder block made out of hair.

A drawing (not even a good one) of one person pissing on another person.

Know what they all say? "I am a pretentious ass wipe." But I couldn't put that down on the page, so I had to pretend I gave a shit.

And now that I no longer have that class you can sure as hell bet I haven't set foot anywhere near either of the galleries.

Also, while the school itself was slightly better with this, as an animation major, the whole thing doubly pisses me off, because the general art world rarely ever recognizes our medium, which is full of beautiful crud that actually took effort, but are tripping over themselves to put literal garbage into museums. Dodgy

I was in an art/design class and we had some assignment, I can't even remember the details of what the assignment was, anyway I took some paper and cut and pasted it together to make a man's formal tuxedo black bow tie. It was sort of three dimensional paper origami tie. Then I stuck it on a piece of drawing paper on which I had drawn a guy in a plaid lumberjack shirt. I pasted the paper bow tie onto lumberjack shirted drawing. Got an A+. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I think that modern "artists" are literally taking the piss. They produce utter shit (sometimes literally), and then sit back and let the art establishment disappear up their own arses, debating its "meaning".

It makes me think of the "No soap, radio" joke. I'm sure that's what's really going on.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post