The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 02:07 PM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
(14-02-2016 12:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  He had nothing to do with it.....

Federal Building..... comprende???

Well, as a Senator who chaired the Senate Appropriations Committee, I'm sure he could wield influence on that decision.

Yeah sure....

REPUBLICANS like Ted Stevens are just KNOWN for being vehement supporters of government paying for art......

I'm sure he was a driving force behind making that part of the Federal Code.........................

Dodgy

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2016, 02:11 PM
(14-02-2016 01:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was in an art/design class and we had some assignment, I can't even remember the details of what the assignment was, anyway I took some paper and cut and pasted it together to make a man's formal tuxedo black bow tie. It was sort of three dimensional paper origami tie. Then I stuck it on a piece of drawing paper on which I had drawn a guy in a plaid lumberjack shirt. I pasted the paper bow tie onto lumberjack shirted drawing. Got an A+. Facepalm

Sometimes I look back on my assignments from college (that I thought were great at the time) and feel reeeeally embarrassed by my former self. For instance, a paper that I wrote about the importance of women staying home with their children instead of sending them to daycare. Oooh, it was bad Facepalm

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-02-2016, 02:14 PM
(14-02-2016 11:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 09:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Actually, I like it. Smile

It looks like giant confetti moving around.

Sorry. Blush
Do you like the $60,000 price tag that We The People got fleeced for it????

As I recall - that's what they paid for the commission.......

From the photo you shared it is pretty large. I guess in your world people should work for free.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-02-2016, 02:22 PM
(14-02-2016 02:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you like the $60,000 price tag that We The People got fleeced for it????

As I recall - that's what they paid for the commission.......

From the photo you shared it is pretty large. I guess in your world people should work for free.

WORK???

The guy had maybe 300 bucks worth of canvas, 20 bucks worth of paint and MAYBE 2 hours of drunken paint slopping...

I sure don't call that work.

I've seen urban graffiti that some poor kid put in HOURS of detailed work that was light years ahead of the garbage that this "artist" foisted on the government --- and yeah -- they not only did it for free -- they paid for the paint out of their own pocket.... I'd have rather seen some of the graffiti artwork..... You can at least tell the artist cared, and had pride in his work.

THe guy who "painted" that piece of shit was a CON artist....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-02-2016, 02:40 PM
(14-02-2016 02:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  THe guy who "painted" that piece of shit was a CON artist....

Have to disagree.

I am by no means a fan of modern art. In fact, I have often gone on record in other communities as being one of those who is absolutely infuriated by it, because ninety-nine percent of it is empty pretentiousness masquerading as artistic achievement.

The specific example you gave doesn't appear to be one of the ninety-nine percent.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it looks particularly great, and it's certainly not my style. But it's not by any means equivalent to the type of bullshit that a lot of modern art is. It's not an unshaped lump of bronze titled "The Fluidity of Motion" (and yes, that is an actual piece that I have seen). It's not a pink square of construction paper thumb-tacked to a canvas and labeled "Ecstasy".

It's just meant to be nice to look at. Maybe you personally don't think that it succeeds on that front, but it doesn't make any claims towards anything but being aesthetically pleasing. It makes use of unusual styles and means to achieve that, but that's still all it's trying to do.

Again, it's not my style. It's obviously not yours. But everyone has different tastes in what they find aesthetically pleasing, and not agreeing with one artist's thoughts on the subject doesn't make him a con artist.

Basically, there are a lot of extremely valid reasons to hate modern art and artists. This is not one of them.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
14-02-2016, 03:03 PM
(14-02-2016 02:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 02:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  THe guy who "painted" that piece of shit was a CON artist....

Have to disagree.

I am by no means a fan of modern art. In fact, I have often gone on record in other communities as being one of those who is absolutely infuriated by it, because ninety-nine percent of it is empty pretentiousness masquerading as artistic achievement.

The specific example you gave doesn't appear to be one of the ninety-nine percent.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it looks particularly great, and it's certainly not my style. But it's not by any means equivalent to the type of bullshit that a lot of modern art is. It's not an unshaped lump of bronze titled "The Fluidity of Motion" (and yes, that is an actual piece that I have seen). It's not a pink square of construction paper thumb-tacked to a canvas and labeled "Ecstasy".

It's just meant to be nice to look at. Maybe you personally don't think that it succeeds on that front, but it doesn't make any claims towards anything but being aesthetically pleasing. It makes use of unusual styles and means to achieve that, but that's still all it's trying to do.

Again, it's not my style. It's obviously not yours. But everyone has different tastes in what they find aesthetically pleasing, and not agreeing with one artist's thoughts on the subject doesn't make him a con artist.

Basically, there are a lot of extremely valid reasons to hate modern art and artists. This is not one of them.

The piece onlinebiker posted does have all the Fundamental and Elements of design.

http://www.johnlovett.com/test.htm

It has some thought to the work. The colors are placed strategically so it has color and movement and balance. It's not my favorite but I like it better than anything Jackson Pollock ever did.

[Image: lm1024.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-02-2016, 03:45 PM
And here all this time I thought I was just a Philistine, and didn't understand modern art. Turns out it's them. As far as Jackson Pollock in concerned, I recall seeing an article where a chimp threw the paint, and people accepted that as Pollock's work. Maybe it was a story I read. Not that it matters.
14-02-2016, 03:47 PM
(14-02-2016 11:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I liked the orange swirly one from the video.

Meanwhile ... is modern art an indicator of social maturity?

Given the choice, would you prefer to be a part of a society that values art (hits and misses) and considers that time is well spent critiquing critiques of critiques or of a society that values art not?

Dodgy
Well, that's the thing. Many people don't consider modern art to be art at all. Consider

I disagree. Many people do consider modern art to be not art at all.

... which is my point.

Tongue

14-02-2016, 03:51 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-02-2016, 03:53 PM
The problem is Modern Art is not that crap. This is modern art.

Modern Art is multimedia and often interactive. The crap they sell as modern art is to separate the rich and gullible from their cash.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post