The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 08:03 AM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
(14-02-2016 07:22 PM)Sam Wrote:  You have to ask yourself how you'd feel if Bob Ross came on TV, and started throwing dog shit at a canvas, puking on it, before masturbating all over it saying "just beat the devil out of it".

I'd feel that the Joy of Painting had somewhat declined in quality over the years.

Makes you sort of feel like the kid in the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" doesn't it???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-02-2016, 11:27 AM
(14-02-2016 02:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  REPUBLICANS like Ted Stevens are just KNOWN for being vehement supporters of government paying for art......

You're right ... stalwart Republican Ted Stevens would never have considered such a wasteful expenditure of government resources.

Forgive my muted chuckles.
15-02-2016, 11:58 AM
(15-02-2016 11:27 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 02:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  REPUBLICANS like Ted Stevens are just KNOWN for being vehement supporters of government paying for art......

You're right ... stalwart Republican Ted Stevens would never have considered such a wasteful expenditure of government resources.

On a related subject, the amount the US government funds the arts is a drop in the bucket compared to most western countries.

http://www.alternet.org/culture/cultural...rts-capita

My husband and I are involved in small theatre groups around the Portland OR area and we beg, borrow and steal and then beg some more for help and donations from the community. We eke by on a shoestring budget. But we finally got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts for $500 to build a shed to store costumes and props. Woop-de-doo. It wasn't easy to make that grant happen either, it was like pulling teeth. Five hundred dollars, for christ sake.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-02-2016, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2016 05:22 PM by Loom.)
Abstract art is one thing.

A plain canvas with a stripe in it is another.

I agree, much of what is considered modern art takes virtually no talent or even quality material--yet it is still passed off as art (and sold for obscene amounts).

To me, art requires effort, dedication, innovation, and talent. Calling a canvas with a few spatterings of paint art is nearly insulting.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
15-02-2016, 03:28 PM
(15-02-2016 11:27 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

I know, I know -- Ted Stevens is a reprehensible excuse for a human being -- that's to be expected.... He is, a politician.... It goes with the territory.....

I just think accuracy is important in mudslinging...... He's guilty of many things, but he wasn't responsible for that piece of crap hanging on the wall at 701 C St. in Anchorage.......... That was squarely on the GSA people in Anchorage.... They picked the "artist"................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-02-2016, 03:30 PM
There's two qualifications to make art.

1. Artistic talent.

or

2. The ability to keep a straight face whilst spewing forth garbage and calling it "art".

Gullible people will do the rest.

15-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Some of my favorite art is concept art, and I'd place it far above modern art.

[Image: the-gorgeous-concept-art-of-fallout-4.jpg]

[Image: Halo_4_Concept_Art_AJ_Trahan_15b.jpg]

[Image: LisetConcept.png]

[Image: wew8zxdxrhtap4ffzdc0.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-02-2016, 04:28 PM
EK -- all unconventional -- but all clearly art by talented artists.....

None need be explained.

15-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Oh and thank you for introducing me to this guy by the way Vosur, he's brilliant.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I love videos that give a lame exceedingly broad, cursory overview, with few artists named.

I suggest the person actually Google Matesse before bashing him and his late 1800 self as being nothing but a flash in the pan for pseudo-intellectuals.

Most "modern" art is long forgotten shortly after.

Van Gogh never sold much of his paintings. One art critic called him forgettable. Another panned his starry night as being rubbish. I believe that critic actually said the canvass was worth more.

Art is subjective, like music. I've never cared for Miles Davis, until I heard some of his softer music. Yet the album Kind of Blue, was a gateway for me, where I could appreciate the sound of music. Jazz can be incredibly jarring, lacking any sort of melody. Yet it can convey a mood, happy, sad, solemn indifference and everything in between.

I can become lost for hours in a Jackson Pollock painting playing a mental where's Waldo. I never appreciated Picasso until I saw one. Rembrandt, didn't do much for me, except for the eyes. They were always obscured.

There aren't many times when I slow down enough to contemplate something -- good or bad, like it a little or a lot, I'm glad art is there to push the envelope of what is...art.

Is the only art that is acceptable a still life? Portrait? Landscape? Can a photograph be art?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post