The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
I rather like modern art. Favourites include Lawren Harris, M.C. Escher and Piet Mondrian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
15-02-2016, 09:46 PM
(15-02-2016 03:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Some of my favorite art is concept art, and I'd place it far above modern art.

[Image: the-gorgeous-concept-art-of-fallout-4.jpg]

[Image: Halo_4_Concept_Art_AJ_Trahan_15b.jpg]

[Image: LisetConcept.png]

[Image: wew8zxdxrhtap4ffzdc0.jpg]

Did you just find those on the internet or do you own/read "Art of..." books (which Google is giving me as a source of one of the images)? Cause if you don't read those books, you should read those books, they're full of this stuff.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
15-02-2016, 10:08 PM
(15-02-2016 09:45 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I rather like modern art. Favourites include Lawren Harris, M.C. Escher and Piet Mondrian.

I LOVE Escher and Mondrian. I didn't spend much time with art, having earned a degree in physics and thence placing my face on the grindstone for decades. What little time I have allowed myself, I appreciated these two- Escher as the mathematician/artist, Mondrian, just because. I'll have to check out Harris. Thanks for the mention. There is much to modern art that has value, but as with anything else, some things just don't appeal to everyone.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-02-2016, 11:44 PM
(15-02-2016 09:46 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 03:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Some of my favorite art is concept art, and I'd place it far above modern art.

[Image: the-gorgeous-concept-art-of-fallout-4.jpg]

[Image: Halo_4_Concept_Art_AJ_Trahan_15b.jpg]

[Image: LisetConcept.png]

[Image: wew8zxdxrhtap4ffzdc0.jpg]

Did you just find those on the internet or do you own/read "Art of..." books (which Google is giving me as a source of one of the images)? Cause if you don't read those books, you should read those books, they're full of this stuff.

The one that I did own was a massive tome of archived Lucasfilm work for both the Star Wars and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

[Image: 511F3RF9NCL.jpg]

Pretty sure I convinced moms to pick this up for her kid a year or so ago. Big Grin

But from top down, that is environmental concept from from Bethesda for their game Fallout 4. Bellow that is HALO 4, followed by Warframe, and the final one is of course an AT-AT and Snowspeeder fight that can be found in the aforementioned tome.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-02-2016, 11:55 PM
(15-02-2016 11:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 09:46 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Did you just find those on the internet or do you own/read "Art of..." books (which Google is giving me as a source of one of the images)? Cause if you don't read those books, you should read those books, they're full of this stuff.

The one that I did own was a massive tome of archived Lucasfilm work for both the Star Wars and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Pretty sure I convinced moms to pick this up for her kid a year or so ago. Big Grin

But from top down, that is environmental concept from from Bethesda for their game Fallout 4. Bellow that is HALO 4, followed by Warframe, and the final one is of course an AT-AT and Snowspeeder fight that can be found in the aforementioned tome.

You did, he's looked at it many, many times. When we recently went through his books, it was one of the few he kept.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-02-2016, 12:53 AM
I'm a big fan of Escher. In a different sphere of art, Wasily Kandinsky is a favorite of mine. I like some Pollacks, others not so much. For me, it boils down to, Does this tickle my eye? Does this make me think?

My opinion, as someone who has dabbled in visual art, who writes prose and poetry, and composes music, is that successful art is art that imbues the listener/viewer/reader with the same emotions that the artist felt at the moments of inspiration and creation.

And for my money, modern art -- be it abstract expressionism, post-modernism, or whatever -- is like any other school of art -- there are some great works, and some rubbish, and a lot of stuff in between.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-02-2016, 04:37 AM
I prefer Modern English. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2016, 08:18 AM
(15-02-2016 11:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-02-2016 11:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The one that I did own was a massive tome of archived Lucasfilm work for both the Star Wars and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

You did, he's looked at it many, many times. When we recently went through his books, it was one of the few he kept.

[Image: 33762028.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Piss Christ.
[Image: piss.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2016, 03:14 PM
(16-02-2016 01:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Piss Christ.
[Image: piss.jpg]

Someone should have told him to drink more water. What kind of color is that??

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-