The Truth About Modern Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2016, 04:31 PM
RE: The Truth About Modern Art
I was always amused by Yoko Ono's blank canvas. I don't remember what she called it, but you were supposed to imagine the picture. On one hand, that just seems like a scam, but on the other hand, it took some imagination (and some chutzpah!) to come up with such a thing.

On some modern art -- like Jackson Pollock's paintings, for example -- I can't make up my mind whether it's brilliance or a con job. But I can't find it in me to get upset about it. Maybe the government wastes some money sponsoring modern art, but they waste so much more money on so much more harmful things that I just can't get upset over this one. It's a drop in the bucket. If I want to worry, there more important things to worry about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I've said many times before that one could shit on a stick and call it art. My famliy and years back went to a modern art musem in Amsterdam. And I shit you not they had shit on stick masks. I have photo somewhere.

Much of the time if you know that back story to the art pecies in modern art it makes a little more sense. There is a modern art form call Dahdah and it basically a fuck you to modern art. (Modern art making fun of Modern art)

[Image: 1537282_l.jpeg]

(a usless Iron)

[Image: This%20nis%20not%20a%20duck.jpg]

(It's not a duck it's a picture of a duck)

[Image: Duchamp.-Bicycle-Wheel-395x395.jpg]

(A unicycle built for no one.)

Funny story I heard about the the unicycle stool. It was on display at an art museum (If i remember in Philadelphia) and it was just sitting alone in the center of the room. People would walk up to it and spin the wheel. They did it so much it broke. The museum went crazy closing off the room and calling the artist in a panic. The artist mealy shrugged it off showed up the next day with another wheel and replaced it. The artist new it was a bunch of crap, but that's what made it so wonderful.

Art is self interpreted. You'll have a glimpse into the mind of another. A child's drawing athou worthless to anyone else means the world to a parent. (well a couple anyway)

An abstract painting can seem simple. But it's that simlisity that can convay a message that makes it beutiful.

[Image: eTu2hcrCmn_gIl0kU8BefylM06IKBXMVrzkEd-hi...T4cDx-_5HY]
I may not know art. But I know what I like.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-02-2016, 07:44 PM
(16-02-2016 05:02 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've said many times before that one could shit on a stick and call it art. My famliy and years back went to a modern art musem in Amsterdam. And I shit you not they had shit on stick masks. I have photo somewhere.

Much of the time if you know that back story to the art pecies in modern art it makes a little more sense. There is a modern art form call Dahdah and it basically a fuck you to modern art. (Modern art making fun of Modern art)

(a usless Iron)

Funny story I heard about the the unicycle stool. It was on display at an art museum (If i remember in Philadelphia) and it was just sitting alone in the center of the room. People would walk up to it and spin the wheel. They did it so much it broke. The museum went crazy closing off the room and calling the artist in a panic. The artist mealy shrugged it off showed up the next day with another wheel and replaced it. The artist new it was a bunch of crap, but that's what made it so wonderful.

Art is self interpreted. You'll have a glimpse into the mind of another. A child's drawing athou worthless to anyone else means the world to a parent. (well a couple anyway)

An abstract painting can seem simple. But it's that simlisity that can convay a message that makes it beutiful.

And if the artist can make that stick a wondrous thing, can take it out of the normal perception to get it into that category, isn't that the point?

Most of the people who are doing conceptual art have been through real art school, that is, they have had to learn and demonstrate proficiency in various media. So there's presumably something more that they feel they're communicating. (We have just been through a bunch of art school pitches, as my kid is applying to art schools, and one thing that no school is saying is hey, you can just draw a line on canvas and we'll give you a graphic design degree)_
16-02-2016, 08:14 PM
(16-02-2016 04:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I was always amused by Yoko Ono's blank canvas. I don't remember what she called it, but you were supposed to imagine the picture. On one hand, that just seems like a scam, but on the other hand, it took some imagination (and some chutzpah!) to come up with such a thing.

On some modern art -- like Jackson Pollock's paintings, for example -- I can't make up my mind whether it's brilliance or a con job. But I can't find it in me to get upset about it. Maybe the government wastes some money sponsoring modern art, but they waste so much more money on so much more harmful things that I just can't get upset over this one. It's a drop in the bucket. If I want to worry, there more important things to worry about.

In the US, it's not like it's heavily sponsored. National endowment of the arts really doesn't give much.

Private donations and art patrons give much, much more. How people want to spend their money is their business.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-02-2016, 07:11 AM
(16-02-2016 05:02 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: This%20nis%20not%20a%20duck.jpg]

It's been done before...

[Image: 300px-MagrittePipe.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-02-2016, 10:12 AM
(16-02-2016 07:44 PM)julep Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 05:02 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've said many times before that one could shit on a stick and call it art. My famliy and years back went to a modern art musem in Amsterdam. And I shit you not they had shit on stick masks. I have photo somewhere.

(a usless Iron)

And if the artist can make that stick a wondrous thing, can take it out of the normal perception to get it into that category, isn't that the point?

Most of the people who are doing conceptual art have been through real art school, that is, they have had to learn and demonstrate proficiency in various media. So there's presumably something more that they feel they're communicating. (We have just been through a bunch of art school pitches, as my kid is applying to art schools, and one thing that no school is saying is hey, you can just draw a line on canvas and we'll give you a graphic design degree)_

Just a forewarning about Art Colleges. There are some really great ones out there. But do a lot of home work. I wanted to go to Savannah College of Art and Design but i had a poor SAT score. But in the end I went to Art Institute of Philadelphia (Which are now going threw a major law suit) I wouldn't change it thou I meet some of my closest friends while in College and it shaped who I am today.

In 2000 I joined with a class of 3,100. Four years later I graduated with a class of 12. Most people ether changed majors, changed schools or dropped out. Now I went for an Animation Major because i'm a madd man but I liked the diversity of the classes. Many people switched to a Graphic Design major due to the large veriaty of job opertunitys that come from it.

Important things to remember I would give your child is to release when he get out, he will not be working on his own stuff. Most of the artists I knew (including me) all came in thinking they were going to be change the industry and show their work to the world.

But in reality you'll be doing others people work. Things other people invistion and want. And you are just a machine. Yes you can put a little your flair to it. But you have to give the people what they want. So when he gets into college tell him to make lots of friends. Because in the art industry they are going to get you a lot further then what you know. (It not what you know, it's who) If you deside to go independent expect painfully long hours. My sister-in-law runs her own Graphic Design studio. Works 60 hour weeks. My wife's best friend is an Independent Illustrator is always working. Because if she stops she doesn't have money to eat. Her living is her art, so if people don't like what she makes she wont sell it and wont make a prophet.

Much of what is learned, you could learn on your own. It's not hard to find a tutorial online to teach you Photoshop or Illustrator. But I wouldn't have meet the people that have gotten me some of my earlier job opportunity if I hadn't gone to college.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
17-02-2016, 10:48 AM

(a usless Iron)

And then there's Disumbrationism.

I'm with you, if I like it I like it.

That said, I will never, ever, ever buy anything from Diane Romanello.
17-02-2016, 11:50 AM
(17-02-2016 10:12 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 07:44 PM)julep Wrote:  And if the artist can make that stick a wondrous thing, can take it out of the normal perception to get it into that category, isn't that the point?

Just a forewarning about Art Colleges. There are some really great ones out there. But do a lot of home work. I wanted to go to Savannah College of Art and Design but i had a poor SAT score. But in the end I went to Art Institute of Philadelphia (Which are now going threw a major law suit) I wouldn't change it thou I meet some of my closest friends while in College and it shaped who I am today.

In 2000 I joined with a class of 3,100. Four years later I graduated with a class of 12. Most people ether changed majors, changed schools or dropped out. Now I went for an Animation Major because i'm a madd man but I liked the diversity of the classes. Many people switched to a Graphic Design major due to the large veriaty of job opertunitys that come from it.

Important things to remember I would give your child is to release when he get out, he will not be working on his own stuff. Most of the artists I knew (including me) all came in thinking they were going to be change the industry and show their work to the world.

But in reality you'll be doing others people work. Things other people invistion and want. And you are just a machine. Yes you can put a little your flair to it. But you have to give the people what they want. So when he gets into college tell him to make lots of friends. Because in the art industry they are going to get you a lot further then what you know. (It not what you know, it's who) If you deside to go independent expect painfully long hours. My sister-in-law runs her own Graphic Design studio. Works 60 hour weeks. My wife's best friend is an Independent Illustrator is always working. Because if she stops she doesn't have money to eat. Her living is her art, so if people don't like what she makes she wont sell it and wont make a prophet.

Much of what is learned, you could learn on your own. It's not hard to find a tutorial online to teach you Photoshop or Illustrator. But I wouldn't have meet the people that have gotten me some of my earlier job opportunity if I hadn't gone to college.

Thanks for the advice. I have a number of friends who are artists, and I know it's a tough field. I agree that there's a lot of career/work opportunities that depend on who you know, and that college is a great place to make those connections. And I agree as well that there are lots of non-college ways to develop art skills.

My son will be doing a BFA program at a state university, probably UMass, as well as double-majoring in music performance, and it's true that many of the realities of an art career haven't necessarily sunk in for him. (Also, with a double art/music major, he'll have twice as many ways not to make a living.) But art is what he's good at and what he wants to do, so we're going to finance the education part. Fortunately he's not shy about promoting himself or his work, and he's already figured out that networking is useful. He got to know the librarian in charge of the teen section at our local library and used that connection to get three books which he wrote and illustrated added to the collection. (They get checked out fairly frequently, too.)
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
17-02-2016, 01:43 PM
(14-02-2016 02:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Bowing

I agree with everything this dude says BUT .... if I have to hear him say twat as tw-aaat, again, I will scream. Caught, taught, twat. Get it right! Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
17-02-2016, 03:46 PM
[Image: kite4.jpg]

When I was living in Philadelphia I would see this statue from time to time. It always pissed me off (mostly because i felt it was a bunch of steal slapped together) Then I had a teacher tell me that was the loation the Ben franklin flew his kite. Then it made sense.

[Image: Bolt-of-Lightning-sculpture_800.jpg]