The Truth about Organic Farming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: The Truth about Organic Farming
(07-10-2014 11:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Organically mass produced foods do not have superior flavor.

The superior flavor rests with foods that have been bred for flavor rather than thick skins or the ability to withstand bruising or the ability to ripen after being seperated from the mother plant.

You will not find the tasty varieties in stores because they neither transport nor store well.

You might find them on farmer's markets - or not.

Did you know that many veggies are sweet, like fruit, and that fruit are many times sweeter than you have tasted?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
(07-10-2014 11:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

This what i meant when i saaid "psychological".

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-10-2014, 12:07 PM
(07-10-2014 10:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 10:35 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Sounds like something that can easily be applied to either side of the argument. No?

I'm not trying to convince anyone that organic is right or wrong for them. I have made a personal decision for myself after considering my own circumstances.

I was trying to find the right way of expressing it and I may have failed. What I was getting at was the idea that humans rationally justify decisions after they are made and that it is the fear of being wrong that drives people to convince others.

A rational decision has to take into account your personal circumstances. If you're desperately trying to feed a large family on a very limited budget then you could make a very rational case for prioritising nutritional content or quantity over organic for example. My point is that it's not up to me or anyone else to say that doing so is right or wrong.
I wasn't commenting on your reasoning as a whole. Just that statement you made, as I could just as easily go into a pro-organic food thread and say, "Often threads like these are started by people trying to convince themselves that their choice to spend extra money on organic foods can be rationally justified and don't want to think that they may be wrong."

As far as you eating organic, go for it. It's your life, do whatever works best for you. And I'll do the same.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-10-2014, 12:31 PM
(07-10-2014 12:07 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  ... I could just as easily go into a pro-organic food thread and say, "Often threads like these are started by people trying to convince themselves that their choice to spend extra money on organic foods can be rationally justified and don't want to think that they may be wrong."

And you'd probably be right.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Just noticed my post re: psychological: did not post for some reason.
Any way..... Buying organic *could* be psychological and we cannot know the full benefits of that..

So.....
The human mind etc etc

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-10-2014, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 06:56 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
In my experience proper organic food doesn't come in a green packet with "Organic!" on the front, it comes from small local farms and markets, and of course your own garden.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
13-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I for one fully support the use of GMO's.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 3 users Like Winterwolf00's post
13-10-2014, 01:40 PM
(13-10-2014 01:38 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  I for one fully support the use of GMO's.

Everyone does, those who do not are ignorant of what a GMO is.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-10-2014, 02:36 PM
(13-10-2014 01:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 01:38 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  I for one fully support the use of GMO's.

Everyone does, those who do not are ignorant of what a GMO is.

And don't trust anyone who calls them "Frankenstein foods". It shows a shocking lack of knowledge of both science & literature. They should more accurately be called "Jurassic Park foods."

Hate the belief, love the believer.
13-10-2014, 02:57 PM
(13-10-2014 02:36 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 01:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Everyone does, those who do not are ignorant of what a GMO is.

And don't trust anyone who calls them "Frankenstein foods". It shows a shocking lack of knowledge of both science & literature. They should more accurately be called "Jurassic Park foods."

Golden Rice could have ended Famine worldwide but the fluff brain anti-science hippies have made it so that nobody is willing to eat it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post