The U.S. was born a Christian Nation....Oh really

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2010, 10:36 PM

The U.S. was born a Christian Nation....Oh really
This guy has sh!t for brains and has absolutely no grasp of American history.

The easiest way to disagree with a sh!t bag like this...oh by the way "pastor" the U.S. was born a slavery state as well....

CNN Opinion piece

However I struggle to grasp why CNN would allow a crap piece like this to represent their "news" organization.
Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2010, 09:09 AM

RE: The U.S. was born a Christian Nation....Oh really
God and Country. God and Country. God and Country. Say it enough times and stupid Americans will buy it. The entire premise of Glenn Beck's dumb rally yesterday was so that he could "restore honor to America" and bring it back to what the Founding Father's intended- a theocracy.

These people need to pick up a history book. And just because Glenn Beck is counter establishment doesn't mean what he is saying is true. People think they are fighting the man by siding with him. Nope. They are just making Goldline and Glenn Beck richer, and are tools to allow the Republicans to gain power so they can continue re-routing money to their corporate friends (not that Democrats don't engage in this activity).

Separation of Church and State was paramount to the Founding Fathers, especially Jefferson. Maybe that is why the Christian fundamentalists on the Texas state education board chose to edit Jefferson out of history in textbooks.

I read an interesting piece in Scientific American the other day about how the Founding Fathers were basically scientists. Their laboratory was a new country they had formed, where they could implement the experiment of liberal democracy (democracy of any kind was a leftist concept in Europe, during the French Revolution). They were truly ahead of their time. They were progressives. What's that Glenn Beck? Progressives are a cancer to America? Hypocrite.

Besides, as you said, the founding fathers weren't perfect God-like figures. They forgot a lot of things off the constitution. So, returning to what our Founding Fathers intended would reinstiture slavery and ban women from voting.
29-08-2010, 01:03 PM

The sad thing is people in this country....too many people don't realize how damaging religion has been to the development of a civilized people and society.

It doesn't matter if it's Christianity or Judaism or Islam....it's a constant battle to the bottom.

The imprisonment of Galieo is simply the most famous example of religion stopping scientific progress in our society. It's only been about 150-years that the world has become industrialized because of the scientific achievement and advancement that has happened in that time frame.

Imagine how much more scientifically advanced we would be as a world were it not for religion trying to hold us back. Scientific advancement, experimentation was thought of as witch craft and therefore people should be burned at the stake.
29-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Like all good British Noblemen, the founding fathers of the USA were either Agnostic, Atheist or non-conformist.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2010, 05:15 PM
(29-08-2010 04:19 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Like all good British Noblemen, the founding fathers of the USA were either Agnostic, Atheist or non-conformist.

That's simply not true. A great many of them were practicing Christians and some of them were very fundamental in their beliefs and had very strong feelings about including religion as a basis in government. However, that view did not win out.

One book that does a good job of talking about the history of religion in the US is "American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation" by Jon Meacham (who is the former editor of "Newsweek").

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-08-2010, 06:28 PM
It was my understanding that many of the founding fathers were Deists. Is that way off?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
29-08-2010, 10:19 PM

(29-08-2010 06:28 PM)Ghost Wrote:  It was my understanding that many of the founding fathers were Deists. Is that way off?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Certainly two of them were, or showed signs of it anyway: Franklin and Jefferson. Both were nominally Episcopalians (American Anglicans). In an era when nearly no one would admit to a disbelief in a god, Jefferson denied the deity of Jesus Christ while regarding him as an excellent example of manhood, and Franklin pretty much altogether denied religion, more as he grew older. All the founding fathers (signers of the Declaration, the Constitution or the Articles of Confederation, plus some others) had a declared religion, but most were also deeply suspicious of ties between church and state, regarding it as grave temptation on both sides.

BTW, it is interesting to note that while there are only two Catholics in the set of Founding Fathers, today the percentage of Catholics in congress runs at 54%. I'm not pushing Catholicism, mind you, I just happened by the fact a couple of days ago. Just goes to show how things can change.
30-08-2010, 09:27 AM

I recently had a discussion about this with one of my die-hard friends, of which I have about a million. I finally resorted to asking him if these doctrinal tenets were agreeable to him:

1) Jesus Christ was not deity;
2) Miracles do not exist;
3) God does not intervene in human affairs;
4) Scripture is fallible

Of course they weren't, although these were the principle beliefs of many of the founding fathers. If these aren't christian beliefs, America was not born a "Christian Nation."
30-08-2010, 12:13 PM

http://www.tektonics.org/qt/tripoli.html

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli signed in 1797 explicitly states that the United States is not a Christian nation.