The UK will grind to a halt....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: The UK will grind to a halt....
(17-01-2013 10:45 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 10:42 AM)bemore Wrote:  They allways focus on the main roads so you could be ok. Why dont you go to your fancy dress party as a sledge, good pick up line when offering ladies a lift home Wink
Aye, probably.

The costume has to be someone from a cartoon...

Ummm, that's a costume ball, not a fancy dress ball.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 11:06 AM
(17-01-2013 11:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 10:45 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Aye, probably.

What if he went dressed like this Consider

[Image: dress.jpg?w=500&h=683]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
17-01-2013, 11:09 AM
(17-01-2013 10:45 AM)kim Wrote:  Crap, Bemsy - sucks to be the UK. But hey, if everything grinds to a halt, doesn't that mean you won't have to go to work? Consider Silver lining in there somewhere.

We get to work at 6. If its bad then we all have to stand around (50+ blokes) having snowball fights until senior management turn in around 8:30. Then management take a drive out and assess if its possible for the lorries to go out, then they tell us to go out and do what we can.

Then about an hour later when we turn back in they complain that not enough has been done. Then its the same old argument about health and safety and is it worth a person risking injury just to empty someones bin?

Then they have to pay us extra to collect what we missed Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-01-2013, 11:12 AM
(17-01-2013 11:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 10:45 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Aye, probably.

Well, I believe the definition of "fancy dress" is "an unusual or amusing costume worn as part of a theme at a party." So, that fits. Wink

And "ball"? Really? I knew you were old, but that is ridiculous. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
17-01-2013, 11:14 AM
(17-01-2013 11:12 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 11:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, that's a costume ball, not a fancy dress ball.
Well, I believe the definition of "fancy dress" is "an unusual or amusing costume worn as part of a theme at a party." So, that fits. Wink

And "ball"? Really? I knew you were old, but that is ridiculous. Tongue
I am wrong. In British usage a fancy dress party is what Americans call a costume party.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Twice I was in London when it snowed, twice it was almost impossible to get to Heathrow in the morning, twice the planes were all late and some even cancelled.

It was just a dusting both times. Not going to London in the winter anymore, lol.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-01-2013, 11:24 AM
(17-01-2013 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am wrong. In British usage a fancy dress party is what Americans call a costume party.
I wasn't aware you guys don't use that term... knowing is half the battle... G.I JOOOOOEEE!

17-01-2013, 11:25 AM
(17-01-2013 11:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Twice I was in London when it snowed, twice it was almost impossible to get to Heathrow in the morning, twice the planes were all late and some even cancelled.

It was just a dusting both times. Not going to London in the winter anymore, lol.
Yeah, it is all that is on the news when London gets a little snow. They treat it like the apocalypse.

17-01-2013, 11:28 AM
(17-01-2013 10:37 AM)sandman Wrote:  After 1" of snow I meant to say.
I'm not surprised. One inch of snow on driving down a mountain or steep hill can be downright scary just on regular tires without added traction. Seattle, like Portland just doesn't get much snow so when it does happen. One inch of snow -- is pretty much enough to keep me at home. You can call me a wimp but seriously I've seen enough cars slide down the hills sideways to know my limits.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm all for people staying home in any amount of snowfall. Buuuuuuut what do the idiots do around here? "Hey, it's snowing... LET'S GO AND DRIVE AROUND IN IT!!!" Unsure Ok. I probably do it, too.

I guess I don't mind so much if people are just going out sight seeing ... but I do wish people would stick to the main roads and stay in town. They get out on the highway and think every inch of pavement is just as clear as the last.

I've seen the biggest SUVs in the ditch simply because they've his a patch of ice no bigger than one of their tires. It doesn't take much to lose control... and it doesn't even take ice. I've seen it happen on a small patch of wet or simply uneven roadway. So much has to do with driver panic and overcompensation. I'd rather err on the side of caution and just stay home.
Consider

Makes me wish I had a fire place; snow is the perfect excuse to get cozy. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post