The US War on Christmas...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2011, 12:54 PM
The US War on Christmas...
Every year in the US the news media outlets, Fox News especially, like to remind us that there is a major war on Christmas being waged ruthlessly by the un-Christian, un-American, non-believers who want to remove "the reason for the season". But I have never once personally witnessed someone getting all up-in-arms about someone saying, "Merry Christmas". However, when corporations decide that their employees should use a more non-Christian-friendly approach to holiday greeting, such as, "Happy Holidays", Christians apparently get all up in arms (something I've also never personally witnessed).

Personally I don't get upset one way or the other- Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever. I celebrate Christmas in a secular, family-oriented way now (which is only a little different than how I celebrated as a Christian). However, I come from a Christian background. I do think being conscientious of non-Christian background (Atheist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc.) is a far better approach. But some folks don't celebrate any holidays during the Christmas and Hanukkah seasons.

I'm sure some people from both sides get angry about not hearing their particular greeting of choice. But I wonder, what do you guys think? Do you get angry when someone says, "Merry Christmas"? Is the "war on Christmas" way overblown? Is there even a "war on Christmas" in the US? How do you folks outside the US see it, or have you even heard of this? Since some people don't celebrate any holidays, is any greeting whatsoever appropriate?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2011, 08:05 AM
RE: The US War on Christmas...
Hasn't Fox News been linked to brain damage? Tongue

I haven't seen any war. Just another day... only with everything closed, except for Circle K.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Every year these days in Canada I hear the typical bitchfest about Christmas in school. Funny thing is Christmas in school was less pronounced when I was in it so I don't know what these primitive screwheads are talking about. I also like how the first thing I hear about is societies intolerance of their religion when really its the other way around. The whole reason anyone has an issue with Christmas in school is because it is unfair for one religion to take center stage especially at this time of year when it seems like every religion has something to celebrate. But we all know how Christians like to think they are special and exempt from the tolerance and equal time treatment. I guess when you become Christian a priest goes around to all the new recruits houses and smashes all the mirrors...

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
23-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Another media-hyped non-issue. Always some militant extremist trying to create an enemy:
"Look! Look! Those bad people are threatening you again! The same bad people that want to pry your gun out of your cold, dead hand, and want to fill up your nice private hospitals with scurvy ghetto brats, now they want to secularize your most wonderful beautiful holy and profitable celebration!"

On the other hand, i really wouldn't mind if xmas were toned down a bit - maybe not quite so much in my face for quite so long.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
23-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Last year my daughters christmas concert was awesome. They did a play about Santa Claus, and did all kinds of songs about different reasons to celebrate "the holidays". One song was about all differents religions/beliefs. Their main focus was to involve EVERYONE, and to say that no matter your beliefs, it is a time to be happy and celebrate family.

Best elementary school play I've ever been to.

As for the media and marketing....meh. I just ignore it for the most part, but I do notice that around here not many stores concentrate on the religous aspect (more on the selling shit aspect) and I never really hear anyone complain. On the occasion that hear someone bring up the "reason for the season" thing, I just ask them if it's ok with them if everyone is happy, and it usually shuts them up. (As in, "well I'm not christian, but do you mind if I'm festive too?")

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the responses; I've always wondered if I was the only one who's never witnessed this apparently vicious war first hand- and if it was all just hype.

Completely agree on the toning it down, Peterkin. The only reason I bring up this subject (I know it's a tired subject, and it's too early for Christmas) is because it's starting to come up again already.

I'm not a big Christmas person, but it is my second favorite holiday- right after Thanksgiving. I don't do the lights or other decorations, but I do get nostalgic when I think about being back home up north as a kid and having white Christmas days. Living in Florida, Christmas is just not the same for me from that point of view, but it is still nice to gather together with the family.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
23-11-2011, 09:13 AM
OMG are they doing this AGAIN this year.
Next will be the FLU EPIDEMIC of 2012!!!

This is why I don't watch the standard news broadcasting.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
24-11-2011, 08:59 AM
(23-11-2011 09:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  On the occasion that hear someone bring up the "reason for the season" thing, I just ask them if it's ok with them if everyone is happy, and it usually shuts them up. (As in, "well I'm not christian, but do you mind if I'm festive too?")

My Gwynnies does that stuff. Well, ya can't expect me to be this in love with a sane person. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Wait a second!!! You mean there is not a REAL war on Xmas?? DAMN! So ONCE AGAIN i will be the only guy out there in Chail Mail armor waving my sword at the christians??

I hate it when you guys leave me out of these meetings! I did not get the memo!

Sigh~

Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
28-11-2011, 11:42 AM
(28-11-2011 11:30 AM)Denicio Wrote:  Wait a second!!! You mean there is not a REAL war on Xmas?? DAMN! So ONCE AGAIN i will be the only guy out there in Chail Mail armor waving my sword at the christians??

I hate it when you guys leave me out of these meetings! I did not get the memo!

Sigh~

Denicio

Stephen: Fine speech. Now what do we do?
William Wallace: Just be yourselves.
Hamish: Where are you going?
William Wallace: I'm going to pick a fight.
Hamish: Well, we didn't get dressed up for nothing.

[Image: 995BVH_Brendan_Gleeson_004.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post