The USAF (and the rest of the US Armed Forces) barred from distributing bibles to on-

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 05:38 PM
RE: The USAF (and the rest of the US Armed Forces) barred from distributing bibles to on-
I think we should pick our battles, and this isn't a battle that I would have picked... but they're still right. If copies of the Q'uran, Book of Mormon, and other various holy books don't get the same distribution then the Air Force is playing favorites. I understand the argument made by this guy --- 85% of those in the Air Force profess Christianity --- but while that makes a logical case for favoritism, it's still a poor legal case. The law is on the side of the atheists on this one.

It's also noteworthy that FOX News displays bias here. It's fine for Steve Douchey to agree with his guest, but if he doesn't also get a member of the atheist group on his show, then only one side of the story is told. Most news networks would make an attempt to get one representative from each group.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
26-04-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: The USAF (and the rest of the US Armed Forces) barred from distributing bibles to on-
(26-04-2012 05:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I think we should pick our battles, and this isn't a battle that I would have picked... but they're still right. If copies of the Q'uran, Book of Mormon, and other various holy books don't get the same distribution then the Air Force is playing favorites. I understand the argument made by this guy --- 85% of those in the Air Force profess Christianity --- but while that makes a logical case for favoritism, it's still a poor legal case. The law is on the side of the atheists on this one.

It's also noteworthy that FOX News displays bias here. It's fine for Steve Douchey to agree with his guest, but if he doesn't also get a member of the atheist group on his show, then only one side of the story is told. Most news networks would make an attempt to get one representative from each group.

All good points. But it's worth it for me as it drives Gretchen Carlson up the wall every time something like this happens. ( I can't stand that bitch.)

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
26-04-2012, 08:49 PM
(26-04-2012 05:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I think we should pick our battles, and this isn't a battle that I would have picked... but they're still right. If copies of the Q'uran, Book of Mormon, and other various holy books don't get the same distribution then the Air Force is playing favorites. I understand the argument made by this guy --- 85% of those in the Air Force profess Christianity --- but while that makes a logical case for favoritism, it's still a poor legal case. The law is on the side of the atheists on this one.

I agree with you completely....but FOX always shows bias. The few times they do have atheist representatives on their show, they barely let them speak. Christopher Hitchens was on there a couple of times, and they did everything they could to try to censor him and keep him from making any points. If the opposition of their argument gets too strong, they simply dismiss the guest.....and no news outlet of any kind should ever be deemed credible if it shows a bias of ANY kind.

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
26-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, proud to be an airforce veteran.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
27-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah... bibles everywhere on bases and no decent toilet paper to be found at all. I had my fill when my supervisor insisted that I attend a 'Prayer Breakfast' for the sake of face-time. I didn't attend - looked for a new job.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 1 user Likes arcticspear's post
27-04-2012, 02:04 AM
(26-04-2012 08:49 PM)publius2k4 Wrote:  

I agree with you completely....but FOX always shows bias. The few times they do have atheist representatives on their show, they barely let them speak. Christopher Hitchens was on there a couple of times, and they did everything they could to try to censor him and keep him from making any points. If the opposition of their argument gets too strong, they simply dismiss the guest.....and no news outlet of any kind should ever be deemed credible if it shows a bias of ANY kind.
A new outlet shouldn't even be allowed to be so bias at all. They aren't a true news organization, and its obviously false advertising...
27-04-2012, 03:29 AM
"Push over" because he caved to Atheists? Would he be a push over if he caved to Christians?

Because Hotels, Motels etc.. are private businesses and they can do whatever they want. Putting a bible in rooms is good for business because there are theists who would use these rooms. Army bases on the other hand are public government institutions. Government. The government is suppose to be inclusive and neutral towards all it's citizens. Thus, either get rid of the bible, or include all equivalents (like already been said).

It is simply not the governments place to be using tax payer money to fund bibles. It's that simple.

Now, if the church wishes to fundraise and supply bibles then I am sure that wouldn't be a problem. At least not from this atheist anyway.

As for "Atheists have done bad!". orly? "Don't ask, don't tell" ring a bell? (lol it rhymes), that IMO is very much a result of Christianity in the armed forces. So how about we stop worrying about the rights of Christians to have free bibles (when they should own their own anyway if they're so keen on Christianity) and worry about more important rights like Gay people being able to be themselves.

fucking assholes..

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
27-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Its true. Its mainly the Military religious bigots that make this true. They push Christianity at every corner ...A shame.
27-04-2012, 11:33 AM
(27-04-2012 11:15 AM)Eru Wrote:  Its true. Its mainly the Military religious bigots that make this true. They push Christianity at every corner ...A shame.
The problem is that it's allowed to be part of military policy, even encouraged.

earmuffs, it makes no difference who pays for the Bibles, they have no place being allowed to be distributed when other holy books are likely not. Imagine the Fox News story if Korans were distributed on military bases. The outrage would be deafening.
27-04-2012, 11:36 AM
(27-04-2012 11:15 AM)Eru Wrote:  Its true. Its mainly the Military religious bigots that make this true. They push Christianity at every corner ...A shame.

I served in the US Army 82nd Airborne Division for over three years and didn't come across any type of religious discrimination. However, it might have just been that the "tops" in my unit were not super religious. Even when we went overseas, I don't remember any kind of praying. Everybody respected each other's religious views. Although I will say that everyone poked fun at "Dave the Jew," especially on various Jewish holidays. For instance, everyone in the platoon would start twirling around and singing the dreidel song ("Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay...") during Hanukkah. We did this out of fun, though. He was a pretty devoted guy too. When we were in the field on Passover, he would light cigarettes in place of candles, drink grape kool-aid in place of wine, and eat the MRE bread in place of unleavened bread. No one bothered him during his time of devotion, not even the sergeants.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user