The Ultimate CHILL music thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2011, 09:23 PM
RE: The Ultimate CHILL music thread.
Yes I did mean conductors ha ha.

Im into all sorts of music......a lot of different genres and styles. I dont really want to narrow down potentials so if you hit me with your faves we can go from there.

Nice one Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM

(09-11-2011 09:23 PM)bemore Wrote:  Yes I did mean conductors ha ha.

Im into all sorts of music......a lot of different genres and styles. I dont really want to narrow down potentials so if you hit me with your faves we can go from there.

Nice one Smile

I will start with one suggestion, bemore, because it is so close to my heart and, because it has so many different musical ideas in one single piece that any composer would give almost anything to collect so many in a lifetime: Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61 (he has written only one, easy to find).

I have been working on that piece for 20 years now and I got close enough to really appreciate it, without pretending that I do it justice.

One more introduction to the great composers could be by watching the movie "Amadeus" about Mozart. You get a very well acted, directed, often amusing story with a rich musical content -- a good cross section of Mozart's music.

I am sure cufflink will make a lot more suggestions and it is up to you how much you want to invest in this research. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll second Zat's suggestion about the Beethoven Violin Concerto. It's glorious.

Here's something very different--Benjamin Britten's "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra," also known more formally as "Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Henry Purcell." This is 20th century music, but very accessible. It's not just for young people--it's for everybody. It's a "guide" in the sense that different sections of the orchestra are introduced in turn and focused on so you can get a sense of what a modern orchestra consists of, but the music is absolutely terrific and stands on its own.

The conductor is Michael Tilson Thomas.

More suggestions later.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
10-11-2011, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 03:43 AM by cufflink.)
OK, here's some more music to keep your ears busy.

First, Mozart's Symphony #40 in G Minor, first movement. This is Mozart's second-to-last symphony, completed in 1788, just three years before his death at the ripe old age of 35. It's probably his most famous symphony. (Chances are you're familiar with the opening theme.)

The conductor is the great Leonard Bernstein. He takes this movement a bit slower than most conductors do, which brings out the sadness and poignancy.

Next is Chopin (pronounced something like SHOW-pan), often considered the greatest composer for the piano. This is the Barcarolle (a "boat song"). The pianist is Kristian Zimerman, who has a wonderful feel for this music, perhaps partly because, like Chopin, he's Polish.

Forget about the overly formal setting. Close your eyes and imagine you're in a gondola with someone you love, just the two of you, gently moving across the water. Smile

Next is Brahms, the great romantic composer of the second half of the nineteenth century. This is the first movement of his Piano Trio No. 1 in B Major. (This piece is especially meaningful to me, since I was once the pianist in a performance of it.)

A classical piano trio always uses the same three instruments: piano, violin, and cello. In this piece, notice how the piano begins by itself. The cello joins in quickly, and a little bit later the violin enters. The opening melody is one of the most beautiful in all of music.

I'm not familiar with these performers, but they do a fine job.

Finally, more piano music, but of a very different kind. This is the Toccata by the 20th century Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev. I found tens of performances on YouTube, but this one by the legendary Vladimir Horowitz stands out. It's hair-raising.

This is great music to listen to when you're mad at the world and you're boiling over and you just want to go punch somebody's lights out.

Enjoy!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
10-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow.......what a morning. Firstly I watched Amadeus, what a crazy story of love and jealousy (mixed in with silly concepts of god)....that was funny at times, sad at others. I dont understand why he got buried in a grave with other people though??? Was it simply a paupers grave or was that the custom in Vienna at the time??? Something I will have to look into further.

Im not denying that Salieri wasnt a talented composer and that he had a great love for music.....however I think his quest for immortality was doomed to failure in that he tried to compose pieces to be remembered by....whilst "wolfie" simply poured out his genius.

Zat I listened to your suggestion of Beethovens Violin Concerto in D major. I listened to the 1st movement and I shut my eyes and listened to it and what was 25 minutes flew past and felt like 5 minutes......what a rollercoaster Big Grin

Cufflink thank you for the suggestion of the video "the young persons guide to the orchestra"....it was good in helping me identify the different sections and then bringing it all together at the end was brilliant......really felt like I learned something from that video.

All of your other suggestions I listened to.......but to be honest I think I have "overdosed" on it today ha ha.....I really do need to listen to them all more individually to appreciate them all in there own rights. Your last suggestion of Prokoviefs Toccata in D minor stood out though to me........it all seemed so crazy, angry and mixed up yet managed to flow with some coherence at the same time.

Ive allways prefered live music.......living in my generation with bass being the emphasis ive allways felt the music through the vibration of that.....where sometimes I can empathise with the lyrics and obviously the feeling of the music comparing them to such masterpieces that I have listened to today my modern counterparts now seem slightly empty and devoid Confused

Given the massive choice out there I dont know where to begin, Ive allways liked Tchaikovskys "swan lake" and I have a CD of his works so ive decided to start there.....im going to spend some time appreciating his works.

Its touched me today......in ways that I didnt know........where Salieri may have thought that it was bringing him closer to god.....to me it has reminded me what it is to be human, if that makes any sense???

Thanks guys Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

(10-11-2011 08:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  I dont understand why he got buried in a grave with other people though??? Was it simply a paupers grave or was that the custom in Vienna at the time??? Something I will have to look into further.
He died of an unknown disease -- that is why he was buried like that, with lime shoveled in after him to prevent epidemics.

Quote:Its touched me today......in ways that I didnt know........where Salieri may have thought that it was bringing him closer to god.....to me it has reminded me what it is to be human, if that makes any sense???

Thanks guys Big Grin

Welcome, bemore, lot more suggestions when you have recovered from these.

You see, that is what I like about you: you want to 'be more', you are curious, inquisitive, have the courage to face new challenges, open to new experiences and ideas. I wish there were a lot more like you in the world!

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
(10-11-2011 08:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  All of your other suggestions I listened to.......but to be honest I think I have "overdosed" on it today ha ha.....I really do need to listen to them all more individually to appreciate them all in there own rights.

There's no rush. Take your time. Classical music will always be there. You have your whole life ahead of you to discover it.

Also keep in mind that with significant works of art, whether it's great music or great literature or a great movie or whatever, you won't get it all on first exposure, and you shouldn't expect to. So don't be discouraged about that. Sometimes it takes several hearings or readings or viewings before it "clicks" with you and starts to make sense. If you hang in there, though, the rewards can be great.

Happy exploring!

[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
10-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Are you surprised? Big Grin

That one might have surprised ya. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 06:32 PM by houseofcantor.)

I mean, what does chill mean? I see my post, with the Gwynnies? I'm anything but chilled. Big Grin
Taking a little break from running my neck to check out some favorite jams. Wink
Speaking of un-chill, this will tell you if you got a pulse:

I listen to more Rammstein as of late, but this here is THE band:

Less neck, more rock; this day...

Classic? Here's some positive mental attitude: One day, wifi will be intergalactic, and your fity-seven Bel Air will take you to Ganymede in eight minutes. Here's a double shot for the ride:

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2011, 04:44 AM
I like your tastes HOC Tongue

Rousing..........

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post