The Ultimate Fate of the Human Species

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 10:42 PM by Chas.)
RE: The Ultimate Fate of the Human Species
(02-10-2012 10:15 PM)imlemuel Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your comparison reeks of passive-aggressive.

No, I assume people use words that they understand. If the OP does not mean ultimate, then how am I to know what he means?

I've noticed your tendency to dismantle other people's sentences, criticize their choice of words, argue over definitions and terminology, and nitpick over how things are said, while pretending not to understand what was meant.

While in many cases you may indeed be correct, you are in no way advancing the conversation. In fact you are retarding it, by driving away people who's level of literary precision isn't up to your high standards. People like you are exactly the reason that people like my wife and hundreds of others like her won't post to forums.

Let me re-phrase what I was trying to say earlier, in a way that should be very easy to parse, and can't be mistaken for passive-aggression.

You're being a dick. Please stop.

And you're being obtuse; please stop.

I don't assume that people mean something other than what they say. So fuck off.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think the children of man will be human, at least not in the way we think of as being human. No one can say when “the singularity” is likely to happen, and I imagine there are those who will argue that it will never happen, but I suspect they are in the minority.

Assuming the machines don't rise and kill us, (which is valid concern) the day is almost certainly going to come when will machine intelligence surpass our own. Even more, I think the day will come when a recognizable human intellect, complete with personality and emotion, can be replicated in a machine. When that happens, will that machine be “human”? Phaedrus mentioned terraforming Mars in passing, but why terraform an entire planet, when realistically it will probably be easier to “marsform” our own bodies.

The same is true of deep space travel. As excited as I am about the idea of humankind populating the galaxy, the distances involved are so mind-bogglingly huge, that it just doesn't seem likely to me that we'll ever make the trip in any kind of “human” form. I could be wrong...actually hope I am, but even at near light speeds, the distances and time involved in interstellar travel make the idea of taking “meat” along on the trip, problematic.

Then again, maybe with the help of our super-intelligent machines we'll so completely take control of our own genome that we'll be able to grow people who can breath water and inhabit the depths of the ocean, or maybe even breathe the “air” of Mars.

Some time ago I saw a video, I wish I could find it again, but I've lost track of it...I think it was a TED a TED talk, but I can't be sure, where the speaker was talking about applying Moore's Law, not just to computers, but to technology as a whole. He started at the dawn of humanity with stone tools and the discovery of fire, followed by metallurgy, followed by mechanization, followed by computers, and how the speed with which our abilities have grown at a surprisingly predictable rate...and how that rate shows no sign of changing. (If anybody recognizes this video and knows where it is....PLEASE tell me where I can find it!)

We have the capacity to kill ourselves off, or to create inventions which may kill us off. We may fall victim to any number of disasters which will wipe us off the planet, but we also have an incredible potential to grow and thrive.

I have lots of problems with religion. I think we all do. But I think my BIGGEST problem is it's sense of pessimism. It's a view that not only is the world fated to end, but that that ending is something devoutly to be wished for.

What do YOU think the future of mankind holds. (and will machine sex be any good?)
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 11:34 PM
(02-10-2012 10:31 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Don't mean to be a dick, but "whose"

Actually, literally, laughing out loud. Thanks for that.
Find all posts by this user