The Undateable Black Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: The Undateable Black Atheist
(05-06-2014 10:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you guys know what I just realized? The father of the atheist's girlfriend is the voice actor of Captain David Anderson from the Mass Effect trilogy. Shocking

That's Keith David, his voice is everywhere. Video games, movies, documentary narrations, he does it all.

His deep, baritone voice melts butter.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
(05-06-2014 10:40 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 10:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you guys know what I just realized? The father of the atheist's girlfriend is the voice actor of Captain David Anderson from the Mass Effect trilogy. Shocking

That's Keith David, his voice is everywhere. Video games, movies, documentary narrations, he does it all.

His deep, baritone voice melts butter.

[Image: saints_row_iv_keith_david_as_keith_david.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
There is a line in which the father says "And you never told my daughter what you are ?"

As if he was some kind of alien with tentacles. An atheist isn't a "what you are".

The line should be
"And you never told my daughter that you think critically & rationally ?"

"No sir, the fact that I have a clear and sane mind never came up in conversation. I really should have told her, but I was afraid to lose this crazy little piece of ass. I always found it adorable when she acted so gullible. I mean I could tell her just about anything and she would believe it. You raised your daughter this way and I am very thankful."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
05-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Hm... ok, I finished watching it. Pretty much a drag - he's such a cute guy.

So, the Dad was ready to accept the guy if his daughter was in love with him. But because she copped out and doesn't accept him because he's atheist... love is forsaken... and Dad is relieved.

Well, that's retarded. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
05-06-2014, 04:45 PM
(05-06-2014 04:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Hm... ok, I finished watching it. Pretty much a drag - he's such a cute guy.

So, the Dad was ready to accept the guy if his daughter was in love with him. But because she copped out and doesn't accept him because he's atheist... love is forsaken... and Dad is relieved.

Well, that's retarded. Drinking Beverage

It is actually a bad message to the black community as a whole. If anything it is like saying that atheist are bad and not worth dating. However because this is a black comedy, it looks even worst to them, I should know I am the only black atheist in a miles of radius where I live.

To add blacks also tend to be more religious as well, so that is more icing on the cake.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Part of me wants to believe that this was meant to illustrate the absurdity of religious belief but I dunno. I'm pretty sure the guy who plays the atheist is a preacher.
05-06-2014, 05:12 PM
I think the message is that 'people like us don't believe in things like that'.

This can be a very strong influence. The message would have been especially blatant if the atheist was some other race, say white, and was dumped only because of that. The way they did it was more insidious though. They made the atheist different to the rest of them by describing his successful career as a journalist. By the very nature of his job the script writers portray him as leading a radically different life to most people and this suggests that he has become infected with a dangerous belief. Like getting an exotic disease by going off to strange countries. This makes for a marked contrast to the homely setting of a family dinner.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
(05-06-2014 05:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think the message is that 'people like us don't believe in things like that'.

This can be a very strong influence. The message would have been especially blatant if the atheist was some other race, say white, and was dumped only because of that. The way they did it was more insidious though. They made the atheist different to the rest of them by describing his successful career as a journalist. By the very nature of his job the script writers portray him as leading a radically different life to most people and this suggests that he has become infected with a dangerous belief. Like getting an exotic disease by going off to strange countries. This makes for a marked contrast to the homely setting of a family dinner.

To make it worst, blacks tend to be more aggressive about atheism as well. My dad was angry at first when he learned I was an atheist(it is much better now). Also the stereotype that all blacks believe in god, is still something that many believe is true. Don't believe me look up black people don't do atheism.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-06-2014, 05:40 PM
(05-06-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think the message is that 'people like us don't believe in things like that'.

To make it worse, blacks tend to be more aggressive about atheism as well. My dad was angry at first when he learned I was an atheist(it is much better now). Also the stereotype that all blacks believe in god, is still something that many believe is true. Don't believe me look up black people don't do atheism.

Aww. I feel better.

I dont understand why they would even bother making this episode. The grand lesson being "Atheists are awesome but evil?"
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-06-2014, 06:17 PM
(05-06-2014 05:40 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 05:24 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  To make it worse, blacks tend to be more aggressive about atheism as well. My dad was angry at first when he learned I was an atheist(it is much better now). Also the stereotype that all blacks believe in god, is still something that many believe is true. Don't believe me look up black people don't do atheism.

Aww. I feel better.

I dont understand why they would even bother making this episode. The grand lesson being "Atheists are awesome but evil?"

I don't get how you feel better, elaborate for me.

No it is saying atheist really are strange in the black community and that they are not to be a part of it.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post