The Undateable Black Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 06:43 PM
RE: The Undateable Black Atheist
(05-06-2014 04:46 PM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  Part of me wants to believe that this was meant to illustrate the absurdity of religious belief but I dunno. I'm pretty sure the guy who plays the atheist is a preacher.

Actually, he's an actor - Richard T. Jones

[Image: richard_t_jones_99.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 06:59 PM
(05-06-2014 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 04:46 PM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  Part of me wants to believe that this was meant to illustrate the absurdity of religious belief but I dunno. I'm pretty sure the guy who plays the atheist is a preacher.

Actually, he's an actor - Richard T. Jones

[Image: richard_t_jones_99.jpg]

From his Wikipedia page :

Jones spoke in a Christian movement named Jesus Culture on June 29, 2012, where he encouraged thousands of young people to fulfill their dreams. He returned to speak on January 12, 2014 for the Jesus Culture Encounter convention in Redding, California.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-06-2014, 08:52 PM
So I finally got around to watching it. Seemed pretty spot on. The theists were uncompromising in their beliefs and could not fathom any belief that isn't their own to the point of strawmanning the shit out of his views.

As stupid as the cast on that show was, yet were portrayed as the good guys, I'm impressed they scripted the atheist as polite and not "militant" or something.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I just remembered the one line that really pissed me off. When he told the dad that his parents were baptist, and wouldn't speak to him anymore because of his lack of belief, the dad said something like "well at least we know you were raised by good parents" Facepalm REALLY?!?!?!?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
06-06-2014, 12:02 AM
That clip is a textbook exemplar of Poe's Law
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-06-2014, 05:38 AM
(05-06-2014 08:55 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I just remembered the one line that really pissed me off. When he told the dad that his parents were baptist, and wouldn't speak to him anymore because of his lack of belief, the dad said something like "well at least we know you were raised by good parents" Facepalm REALLY?!?!?!?

The one that got me was the woman's question of "How can you love anyone if you don't love God?".

I've heard similar questions before. What's amazing is that they don't see how incredibly rude and offensive that question is. I mean, would they just roll with it if I said "How can you be using logic if you believe in God?". What the shit!?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-06-2014, 05:49 AM
(05-06-2014 08:52 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  As stupid as the cast on that show was, yet were portrayed as the good guys, I'm impressed they scripted the atheist as polite and not "militant" or something.

There's a possibility that they did that deliberately. The polite non-militant intelligent atheist must be the biggest threat to the faithful and the best way to counter that is with an appeal to emotion and pack instinct with the message that 'people like us don't have world views like that'. But I think that's probably over thinking it.

Making him a great catch for the daughter and the otherwise perfect son-in-law adds to the drama and tension from the perspective of the father. All the atheist's qualities then become a threat because there is a very real possibility that the daughter will still want him. Hence the last conversation where the father expresses his relief after finding out that the daughter wants nothing to do with him.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
06-06-2014, 06:05 AM
(06-06-2014 05:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 08:52 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  As stupid as the cast on that show was, yet were portrayed as the good guys, I'm impressed they scripted the atheist as polite and not "militant" or something.

There's a possibility that they did that deliberately. The polite non-militant intelligent atheist must be the biggest threat to the faithful and the best way to counter that is with an appeal to emotion and pack instinct with the message that 'people like us don't have world views like that'. But I think that's probably over thinking it.

I think you're very right, here. From my brief time posting at worthychristianforums, one of the mods said something very similar. Toward the end of my posting there, I must have had a lot of reported posts because two mods started PMing me a lot of questions about my motives. I pointed out that I had clearly stayed well inside their ToS (better than many of their Christian members, ironically), and one of the mods responded roughly saying "a smooth worded argument against God can be more damaging than an overt objection" or some such.

His biggest concern is that I would appear too reasonable and people would take me seriously. I wasn't making myself easy to hate other than that I didn't flat-out accept their particular brand of nonfalsifiable woo. I think they are super worried about those planted seeds of doubt. Most deconverted people I talk to all deconverted that way. It was never a single overt thing; it was always doubts and critical thinking slowly eroding faith over the course of months or years.

(On a related note, there are a non-zero number of posters there who believe that Christian evolutionists are examples of that happening. They're atheists in transition and proof of the erosion of faith among the adherent. It really is a war to them.)

(06-06-2014 05:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Making him a great catch for the daughter and the otherwise perfect son-in-law adds to the drama and tension from the perspective of the father. All the atheist's qualities then become a threat because there is a very real possibility that the daughter will still want him. Hence the last conversation where the father expresses his relief after finding out that the daughter wants nothing to do with him.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-06-2014, 10:48 AM
(04-06-2014 05:53 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When he said "Your parents must be very proud"

He should have said "It's hard for me to imagine them not being proud"
And everyone goes on eating.
That's a reasonable proposition to avoid telling the truth - a lot of people are probably capable of continuing the deflection from getting away from telling the truth. But the father has every right to pry in to understand lover boy's frame of mind, by way of discussing his relationship with his parents

(04-06-2014 05:53 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Or after he says "We had a falling out"
And the father asks "Over what ?"

He could have said "It's a personal matter and when the time comes, after we have gotten to know each other better, I would be glad to discuss it, but for now, I really don't want to ruin such a lovely dinner"
At some point in time the father is going to insist on understand the parental relationship of the paternal grandparents of his grandchildren, and he is not distracted by sexual fantasies like his daughter. What you don't seem to understand is that a Christian-atheist marriage is not going to work in this situation. The father in this situation has made a committment to a social organization that he and his daughter believes is the best way to train his mind to understanding the possible situations of one's individual life - eventually you have to face-up to the fact that he does not want to entertain the possibility of losing contact with his slut daughter and her offspring. Maybe, if he was a little bit better critical thinker he would have imagined this possibility; but he didn't even want to discuss it with his soon to be good for nothing bitch - you don't imagine him or her making enough money to support the lifestyle that this father imagines for his daughter and grand children.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-06-2014, 11:15 AM
(06-06-2014 10:48 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 05:53 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When he said "Your parents must be very proud"

He should have said "It's hard for me to imagine them not being proud"
And everyone goes on eating.
That's a reasonable proposition to avoid telling the truth - a lot of people are probably capable of continuing the deflection from getting away from telling the truth. But the father has every right to pry in to understand lover boy's frame of mind, by way of discussing his relationship with his parents

(04-06-2014 05:53 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Or after he says "We had a falling out"
And the father asks "Over what ?"

He could have said "It's a personal matter and when the time comes, after we have gotten to know each other better, I would be glad to discuss it, but for now, I really don't want to ruin such a lovely dinner"
At some point in time the father is going to insist on understand the parental relationship of the paternal grandparents of his grandchildren, and he is not distracted by sexual fantasies like his daughter. What you don't seem to understand is that a Christian-atheist marriage is not going to work in this situation. The father in this situation has made a committment to a social organization that he and his daughter believes is the best way to train his mind to understanding the possible situations of one's individual life - eventually you have to face-up to the fact that he does not want to entertain the possibility of losing contact with his slut daughter and her offspring. Maybe, if he was a little bit better critical thinker he would have imagined this possibility; but he didn't even want to discuss it with his soon to be good for nothing bitch - you don't imagine him or her making enough money to support the lifestyle that this father imagines for his daughter and grand children.

[Image: b1113e0371b6a58e4fc729b5f54c98d1638b54f1...24c961.jpg]
[Image: hD9ED573D]