The Universal Basic Income

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 03:06 AM
The Universal Basic Income
In my youth, I would have told you that people on welfare should be placed on busses and shuttled out to farms to pick onions. Everyone should earn their own keep. Well as time passed my attitude has changed. I now advocate a Universal Basic Income. Why? Because I see have seen this happening. Watch the video and read the article.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/lovesi...gJosN9Vikq

If you are around 20 years old today, by the time you are 40, most humans will be unemployable for no fault of their own. This problem is coming and we should address it today. It is time to implement a universal basic income.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
23-09-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: The Universal Basic Income
I remember the initiative to implement Basic Income in Switzerland , don`t know what happened with it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
23-09-2015, 03:59 AM
I think it's a good idea. I think there needs to be more equitable sharing of resources anyway. The idea that you must work to have worth... I don't think that is correct. In the world we have people who are obscenely wealthy and have access to more resources than they could ever consume individually, and on the other side we have those who have nothing at all. We have a situation where the greedy few are pushing us into a more and more unequal situation. There has to be a breaking point if that continues. Hopefully before some violent revolution occurs we will be able to find a better way.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-09-2015, 04:13 AM
Well, I guess given the amount of shit Blowjob puts forth, even he is bound to get one right by accident. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-09-2015, 04:24 AM
Capitalism has its shortcomings, but communism is a proven failure. So, any system that takes away incentives and ignores market forces is not likely to be sustainable. We have too many examples to think otherwise.

That said, our current version of capitalism where large corporate and banking interests buy laws that tip the balance way in their favor, and governments that shift risk burdens from reckless assholes to taxpayers is not going to be sustainable either.

I have no idea what the solution is. And, I'm pretty sure no one running for the world's most important job has a clue either.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
23-09-2015, 04:51 AM
(23-09-2015 04:24 AM)BnW Wrote:  Capitalism has its shortcomings, but communism is a proven failure. So, any system that takes away incentives and ignores market forces is not likely to be sustainable. We have too many examples to think otherwise.

That said, our current version of capitalism where large corporate and banking interests buy laws that tip the balance way in their favor, and governments that shift risk burdens from reckless assholes to taxpayers is not going to be sustainable either.

I have no idea what the solution is. And, I'm pretty sure no one running for the world's most important job has a clue either.

The end goal needs to be one of two things.

One - A maintainable sustainability on this planet with the resources we have. This will almost assuredly require a loss of freedom of choice that many will find unsettling (restrictions on resource consumption/allocation, employment restrictions/mandates, who can have children and how many, etc.).

Two - To leave our planet and find new sources of resource to fuel our continued expansion. While this doesn't ultimately solve the problem per se, it just pushes it back further into the future.

Three - We invent those replicators from Star Treck and move into a post consumer world. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2015, 05:05 AM
If the forces that continue to exert upward pressure on the costs of the basics that people need (housing, energy, food, and healthcare) can't be contained somehow, a universal basic income won't fix much. Although it is a nice idea. I agree that at a time when jobs at every level are being automated, society needs to figure out how to get all who want to work something productive and decently paid to do.
23-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Another case of "happiness by executive order".

Look -- call it "Minimum Wage", "Livable Wage" or "Universal Basic Income" --and it's still going to be the same thing --

the bottom of the barrel.

And it's always going to suck.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-09-2015, 06:14 AM
I'm more interested in why in your youth you would of thought in that manner.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-09-2015, 06:27 AM
The "make them work for their welfare" idea isn't entirely without merit.

It's a bit unrealistic for some - as not everyone is capable of such work.

In all economic structures there is always a group perception of what constitutes "the bottom". In that our entire economic structure is based on group perception - this is important.

In the "work for welfare" paradigm - that's the bottom.

In the "minimum wage" paradigm - that's the bottom.

It always amazes me that people think upping the minimum wage is good for the people at the bottom.

It's still the bottom.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.