The Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2011, 05:51 PM
The Universe
So to all you non-believers, what is your view on the Universe. Do you believe in string theory, multidimensions, or one of the many other ideas out there. And if so, what do you believe is outside that theory. If you think you live in a bubble, whats outside the bubble, and what do you think contains that space outside the bubble?

Isn't reality just confusing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2011, 06:59 PM
RE: The Universe
I believe in the universe though I've only experienced or seen first hand a small portion of it. There is rather reliable data suggesting it is quite large. I choose to accept these statements as facts.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know what may be outside the universe and don't know enough about advanced physics to give an intelligent answer. But that's OK, I am alright with there being things I don't know. From my experience of science, we learn more all the time and what we learn is much bigger and greater than anything I've read in an iron age myth.

I don't see the believer as being in a better position at all, in fact they are in a far worse position. Claiming a god exists outside the universe is not knowing either, it is pretending to know. I'll take the honesty of not knowing over pretending to know any time.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I believe in inflationary cosmology, which indicates that the Big Bang was not the beginning of everything, that it did not involve an infinite density, and that there was a pre-existing universe out of which the Big Bang occurred. That pre-existing universe may have existed for a very long time, perhaps forever.

Of course, the 'big bang' is grossly mislabeled.
23-08-2011, 09:44 PM
i think it is very confusing but also somewhat relaxing and enjoyable to contemplate.
maybe there is a bubble outside our bubble with another bubble outside of that, maybe there are dimensions we haven't discovered yet. maybe the observable universe just goes on forever to a point beyond comprehension. maybe what we know as the universe could seemingly evaporate instantly without warning.

i have no idea how everything is put together. i enjoy reading new discoveries and theories and watching us slightly advance our understanding though.

one thing i'm sure of though, no person or book or webpage has gotten it right and never will. and i greatly frown on the overwhelming majority of the world, who explain everything, by explaining everything.

i don't see how billions of people can just be totally blind to this trend of explaining everything in some new better/different way over and over again, in the thousands of years of documented history. it makes me ashamed of humans personally.

throwing people in volcano's doesn't appease anything, zeus isn't the god of lightning, you aren't reborn as an earthworm, jesus isn't the son of god, allah isn't whatever he's supposed to be.

i think we live in an age where it should be rather easy to throw aside silly superstitions and be able to be comfortable with the fact that we don't know shit.

at this point and time, it seems that the big roadblocks for logic and acceptance of reality are, extreme brainwashing and social rejection. hopefully the global community will gradually wise up in the next 50 years or so.

i think the majority of adults in the world are a lost cause. speaking to almost any religious person about reality is nearly impossible. my hope is that the internet will plant the seeds of logic, reason, science and skepticism into the children of today. maybe when they grow up, they can put the world on the right path since... well ever.

it may seem i'm way off subject by this point in my post but it's all very tightly connected.

contemplating the universe may not actually provide any real answers, but it can lead you to wonder what effects religion has had on humans.

i often wonder and witness what effects it's had on people's logic, morals, ambitions and day to day life. i feel its effects on all of those areas can be demonstrated by trying to use a calculator that has a few missing numbers and some gibberish functions. you can solve lots of problems, even some you thought you couldn't, but the end result is a lot more work and some problems that can't be answered.

the box of this calculator says that it has the #1 perfect calculation tool but it is false advertising. my calculator comes with a stronger interface than the previous one, but it doesn't claim to be perfect. in fact, you can email any bugs you find to the manufacturer and they will attempt to address it. Oh, and the next version of this calculator will be better than the last one.

My thoughts on the universe have led me down a very different path. Eventually I accepted I can't explain everything and I began to wonder how we can become an even more intelligent species. Eventually I came to the realization that religion is a great hindrance to the progression of human knowledge.

Time, Money, Jobs, Real Estate, Research, Logic, Dreams, etc. Religion has cost our species trillions upon trillions of dollars and hours in these areas. People die for religion. People devote entire lifetimes to religion.

If these same people had wasted all this time and money on something besides religion, the world would be a better place. Even if these resources were spent totally on games, it would probably have a better effect on our world community than what religion gives it now (details excluded).

I think most atheists probably dwell on contemplating the universe at some point. Generally, I think a lot move on from that and begin to realize how detrimental 'god' truly is to humans, knowledge and the world and want to do something about it.

And yes I know many people here feel being religious is ok. Personally I think they are just being way to nice and over time, they will gradually begin to see religion as a mental poison, like I do.

If there is a parallel universe with no religion, they are way closer to knowing about us, than we are to knowing about them.

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
24-08-2011, 01:11 AM
I am not a believer in religion, for those of you that may be interested, but I do find it quite hard to think that there is an end, a stop, or continuing universe. It's hard to believe that reality can exist, when everything proves something cant come from nothing, therefore we shouldn't exist in the first place. A universe inside a universe inside itself a million times over. No matter the theory I cant see how it has an end, or it doesn't have an end. Thinking about this all makes me believe I'm in a dream.

Damn is reality confusing.
25-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I like the pictures from the big telescopes and little space-ships. I like Carl Sagan. I like the ideas in science fiction, and the worm-holes and other weird visual effects in Star Trek.

Aside from that, the universe is basically none of my business. I'm never getting off this mudball, and don't particularly want to - have barely begun to explore it.

How it all got started and how it works, i will never understand. All the theories i've heard seem equally impossible -
-except the god/ creation one, which is also improbable.
(With all due respect to Sherlock Holmes: if something seems impossible, maybe you just don't know the secret; if something seems improbable, smell a rat.)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.