Poll: What will become of humanity in regards to the fate of the universe?
We will know how to escape to another one or to "go back" to the beginning of this one.
We'll live for billions of years until the universe ends.
We'll never get out of the solar system before we go extinct.
We'll never get off the planet before we go extinct.
I don't know.
Let's just keep trying to push frontiers, and if we figure out how to escape the eventual death of the universe, well then that's all fine.
[Show Results]

The Universe will eventually die - what do you think will become of us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: The Universe will eventually die - what do you think will become of us?
People from Earth would have to adapt just to live on Mars, even if we COULD terraform it, due to decreased gravity. And vice-versa for life-long Martians wishing to return to mother Earth. I could only imagine what might happen to humans over thousands of years of space travel. Perhaps we'd evolve to withstand the effects of ALL the different environments we came across. Who knows. But if I had to bet? We'll eek out a living in this system for as long as we can. Moving from Earth further out, as the Sun expands, etc... But we'll die here!!
Our creations might make it out to thrive somewhere else. We're just not made to travel!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2013, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2013 11:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-05-2013 08:15 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  We are going to fall into a blackhole we didn't see coming and enter a new, young universe. We don't have to leave our solar system, even. Win-win.

We'll be *spaghettified* on the way in. Also just before the instant you might be understanding what's happening, you will see and hear a/the *hissing* sound, just before all your atoms are ripped apart.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-05-2013, 10:23 PM
(19-05-2013 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 08:15 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  We are going to fall into a blackhole we didn't see coming and enter a new, young universe. We don't have to leave our solar system, even. Win-win.

We'll be *spaghettified* on the way in. Also just before the instant you might understanding what's happening, you will see and hear a/the *hissing* sound, just before all your atoms are ripped apart.

I fergot to mention that by then singularity will have won and we'll be all robotic and high-tech to protect that. More winning! Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
19-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't plan to attend that party and have not considered it important to worry about what I'll wear.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2013, 11:34 PM

(it's worth watching the whole thing, trust me)
21-05-2013, 07:56 PM
There are a few ways out perhaps:

1.) Figure out how to move between non-causally related realities (this would probably be the hardest option, and probably impossible)

2.) Figure out how to reverse entropy. (Hard but perhaps not impossible)

3.) Figure out how to create a new universe from scratch around us. (Very difficult but probably easier than 1 and 2.)

4.) Create a simulated reality where the timescale passes faster, effectively rendering your perceived existence inside it eternal while in reality
the universe remains unchanged. (The easiest option by far.)

5.) Be rescued by some other intelligence that has figured this out for us. (Incredibly unlikely.)

6.) An unknown solution.
21-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I was split between the last two options, ended up voting 'I don't know'. Anyone that voted the others above are being overly optimistic or pessimistic in my opinion. I prefer to keep it real.

How long we survive really depends on (1) whether we kill ourselves off or not (2) whether we can prevent being wiped out like the last dinosaurs and (3) whether we can leave our planet, and sustain life away from our dying star before the time comes when it collapses into a white dwarf.

Honestly point 1 is what worries me most, if we can get past that I'm sure the others will follow without a hitch.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
21-05-2013, 11:28 PM
(19-05-2013 10:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We'll be *spaghettified* on the way in. Also just before the instant you might understanding what's happening, you will see and hear a/the *hissing* sound, just before all your atoms are ripped apart.

I fergot to mention that by then singularity will have won and we'll be all robotic and high-tech to protect that. More winning! Smartass

A neutron star rips electrons from the orbital clouds of the atom causing electrons and protons to mesh together to form neutrons, meaning nothing is left but a soup of neutrons. Needless to say the gravitational pull from a black hole is much more intense than a neutron star, and so there really is no hope. If something get's pulled into a black hole, it won't keep it's original form. This is all based on the assumption that there is a 'other end' to a black hole. Chances are it's just a point of immense density and there is no other side.

No winning when it comes to black holes.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

22-05-2013, 12:51 PM
(21-05-2013 11:28 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 10:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I fergot to mention that by then singularity will have won and we'll be all robotic and high-tech to protect that. More winning! Smartass

A neutron star rips electrons from the orbital clouds of the atom causing electrons and protons to mesh together to form neutrons, meaning nothing is left but a soup of neutrons. Needless to say the gravitational pull from a black hole is much more intense than a neutron star, and so there really is no hope. If something get's pulled into a black hole, it won't keep it's original form. This is all based on the assumption that there is a 'other end' to a black hole. Chances are it's just a point of immense density and there is no other side.

No winning when it comes to black holes.

Yeah, black holes don't have 'ends'. They are singularities. Personally I blame the similary on the word 'wormhole' for some of the confusion; though, to be fair, when they were first theorized nobody knew what would happen "inside" (not that they have an 'inside', not that anybody would have known that at the time!).

Anyway.

Actually, if you passed the event horizon of one - wait, I'll get back to that. Common misconception #2 - black holes are 'stronger' somehow than other gravitational objects. Gravity operates the same regardless of what causes it (it being the warping of spacetime). Outside of a black hole's event horizon, it is a perfectly well behaved gravitational object. Yes, they generally ARE quite massive (they have to be, to last any length of time), but the gravitational attraction is no more than that of the object it formed from.

So, if you passed the event horizon, you'd get a great show if you looked out. Assuming you went in feet-first... You'd be spaghettified (yes, that IS the technical term), but as you were drawn deeper in, time would dilate (general relativity, yo) due to the depth of the gravity well. So you could watch the universe's greatest light show, as matter and energy swirled in after you; you could watch the cosmos age above you... Though, it would also blueshift, so really the radiation would kill you (not that a bunch of other things wouldn't probably have already done so, in such a situation, of course).

And eventually you WOULD be crushed to death. And spit out as Hawking radiation (not literally, of course - merely that the energy emitted would eventually account for the additional energy you inputted by falling in).

No winning indeed.
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Well, the real shit will start when our Moon drifts far enough away from us to cause problems - that's about a million years away. If we don't stop trying to kill each other, we might actually figure something out about what to do with that first nail in our planet's coffin. After that,(long after) well... our sun will swallow us. So, we're eventually fucked.

Is any of that going to be a problem for anyone? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein