The Unthinking Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2010, 06:05 AM
The Unthinking Atheists
I've known and even "preached" for as long (as little) as I've been an atheist that atheism and healthy skepticism are not the same thing. Healthy skepticism usually leads to atheism, as was in my case and I'm sure most of the people here in this forum, but atheism certainly does not necessarily lead to healthy skepticism.

I'm bringing this up because of the immense amount of disappointment I have at the Thinking Atheist Facebook page at the moment. A theist woman joined the page and took part in some of the discussions going on and if you look at the page you'll see several wall posts harassing her as a "troll" just because she is a theist and represented theist points of view. Really. Please feel free to look it up, no joke.

I've taken the liberty to direct her here for real discussion and apologized for the un-"Thinking"-ness of the members of the fan page. But I still can't believe how critical they were of her and how they ridiculed her for asking questions and presenting opposing viewpoints. I can understand frustration, but to mock someone by posting lulzy pictures attributing them to her and consistently telling her to just leave and that she's not welcome all because she was a Christian (reminding me much of Barley, in fact, with how she politely disagreed and such) is sickening to me. Very much the opposite of being a "Thinking Atheist" in my opinion.

You'll never convince any skeptic if you attack them with "stop asking questions and leave".

It makes my blood boil. If I had been met with that kind of ridicule I would still be a fundie, telling people all sorts of disinformation about evolution and about how when I confronted atheists with the "facts", all they could do was tell me to leave. I'm very glad I didn't encounter that. VERY glad.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 06:29 AM
RE: The Unthinking Atheists
I agree with you. You can find assholes in almost any group of people.
But when was this? I've only looked up the comments posted since tuesday 3am, so has it been days already or am I blind or am I doing something wrong cause I don't use facebook. I don't wanna get sucked into it.Smile

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
14-10-2010, 06:35 AM
(14-10-2010 06:29 AM)Kikko Wrote:  I agree with you. You can find assholes in almost any group of people.
But when was this? I've only looked up the comments posted since tuesday 3am, so has it been days already or am I blind or am I doing something wrong cause I don't use facebook. I don't wanna get sucked into it.Smile

Oh, there's one posted just 6 hours ago with the heading "Laurie Ann's (a.k.a. L.A. TROLL) time on the The Thinking Atheist..."

and another one further down at 8 hours ago with the heading "Laurie Ann (a.k.a. L.A. TROLL)
Better idea....if you won't leave, block us all. Thanks"

and another discussion at nine hours ago that showed just how unwilling people were to discuss with her. These are all on the "wall", by the way, and not the "discussions" tab. I'm not positive, but you might not be able to see it if you're not subscribed as a Facebook fan due to privacy settings or whatever, so that might explain it if you're unable to see it.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
14-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I didn't go on facebook, but I agree with your position. You attract a lot more flies with sugar than with vinagar, as the saying goes. To show people that you are conciencious, you need to be conciencious, or at least a very good actor.
14-10-2010, 07:57 PM

That's sad, and it proves to theists that atheists are as bad as they already think they are. I think very few people in the world (atheist or otherwise) are "thinking." It takes a lot of work, a healthy amount of intelligence, and a natural curiosity and sense of humility that a lot of people just lack.

I've missed seeing you around lately. How's it going across the big blue? I enjoyed your call-in on the podcast a few weeks back, BTW.
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 10:33 PM
athnostic Wrote:That's sad, and it proves to theists that atheists are as bad as they already think they are. I think very few people in the world (atheist or otherwise) are "thinking." It takes a lot of work, a healthy amount of intelligence, and a natural curiosity and sense of humility that a lot of people just lack.

That's really true, and it kills me to admit it. It kills me almost enough to make me want to start taking from the JWs and going door to door teaching people about the good news of critical thinking. Tongue

athnostic Wrote:I've missed seeing you around lately. How's it going across the big blue? I enjoyed your call-in on the podcast a few weeks back, BTW.

School is killing me! Tongue My classes are conducted entirely in Japanese now and my already intense workload last semester has been doubled for this one. Tongue I'm really sorry for not being so active. Once I get used to the flow of things I'll definitely try to get back in the action! Big Grin I really miss being able to take part in discussions with you guys where I'm gaining something and not just explaining to my family why a former atheist's emotional testimony doesn't make me feel compelled to convert. Tongue

I would LOVE to take part in another podcast, but the topics lately have been "yes or no" question kinds of topics and once someone says my viewpoint I feel like I have nothing to input. Tongue

14-10-2010, 10:54 PM
(14-10-2010 10:33 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  School is killing me! Tongue My classes are conducted entirely in Japanese now and my already intense workload last semester has been doubled for this one. Tongue I'm really sorry for not being so active.

No apology needed. We understand that school is important.
15-10-2010, 10:28 PM

(14-10-2010 10:33 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  It kills me almost enough to make me want to start taking from the JWs and going door to door teaching people about the good news of critical thinking. Tongue

I think we should do it. What would our ministry garb look like since the white shirt, black pants and tie, and backpack are already taken?

Quote:I'm really sorry for not being so active. Once I get used to the flow of things I'll definitely try to get back in the action! Big Grin

I totally understand! No need to apologize at all! Life is crazy, and when you're in school it's scary crazy. Smile Glad you can stop in! Your contributions are always valuable.
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2010, 01:11 AM
athnostic Wrote:I think we should do it. What would our ministry garb look like since the white shirt, black pants and tie, and backpack are already taken?

Pirate garb, naturally!
xD

16-10-2010, 02:57 AM
(16-10-2010 01:11 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  
athnostic Wrote:I think we should do it. What would our ministry garb look like since the white shirt, black pants and tie, and backpack are already taken?

Pirate garb, naturally!
xD

NO, no, no. Lab coats.