The Urantia Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 09:39 PM
The Urantia Book
Right now I'm overhearing a conversation on The Urantia Book.

This is the first I've heard of it, and after looking it up, it seems kinda hokey but not a super popular nonsense book like The Secret. A lot of Urantia Foundation related sites and not a huge amount of critical analysis.

Basically it seems to be Scientology-ish.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the book or its devotees?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2016, 11:49 PM
RE: The Urantia Book
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

All I got thus far, but a basic reading of the first two sentences on wikipedia tells me everything I need to know: Snake oil in a different bottle.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
01-10-2016, 01:31 AM
I reckon they are taking the urinea.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
01-10-2016, 06:53 AM
(30-09-2016 11:49 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

All I got thus far, but a basic reading of the first two sentences on wikipedia tells me everything I need to know: Snake oil in a different bottle.

Jesus -with aliens! Sounds more interesting than the crusty old bible, yet exponentially greater idiocy.

[Image: a44bbac802f413f319c602c383535071.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
01-10-2016, 08:53 AM
I actually own a Urantia book. It's a gigantic book - beautifully bound & published. I was asked to hang on to it for a friend. I think she just wanted it out of her life, couldn't bring herself to destroy it but, also didn't want anyone to find it and possibly be influenced by it. I recall a few words she used to describe the content: crazy, insane, ridiculous, psycho, ... and this came from a deist. Wink

After a fair skimming of the book, I found her words to be charmingly tame. It jumbles together a lot of christee, new-agey, cosmic, psychobable and makes it all appealing by saying nothing is truly evil but you should really try to be good, no matter what. One must reach certain levels of understanding, doncha know. It kind of turns into a science fiction story in the L Ron Hubbard vein and that's when the krazy shit really gets going.

I've had it for 30 years and have to say, it's come in handy. It makes an excellent doorstop or a booster seat for a toddler at the dinner table. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
(01-10-2016 06:53 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 11:49 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

Jesus -with aliens! Sounds more interesting than the crusty old bible, yet exponentially greater idiocy.

[Image: a44bbac802f413f319c602c383535071.jpg]

[Image: kVtwNnz.jpg?fb]

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
01-10-2016, 04:13 PM

Damnit Whiskey, post a warning with links like that. I got a shiny new fundamentalist-hardened bullshitometer for my birthday and now the needle's bent around the right hand stop.

[Image: 7043bullshit-meter-01.gif]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
01-10-2016, 05:28 PM
It's got nothing on The Necronomicon.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I'll stick with the Voynich Manuscript

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Looks like woo, sounds like woo, tastes like woo...

...it's gotta be poo.