The Value of Fashion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 09:19 AM
The Value of Fashion
Do you spend a large percentage of your income on clothing and "accessories"?

My SO has a truckload (and I mean semi - not pickup) of clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry and "accessories". She meet with the public a lot, occasionally represents the company in court and has to meet with State regulators and whatnot -- so I suppose it's appropriate for her to look "fashionable". I had to convert a 14 x 16 foot room into a closet for her. I built a half dozen roll-around clothing racks to hold all her stuff.

Me - I haven't owned a suit in 25 years, and I spent my "year's allowance" on a half dozen t-shirts the other day.

Seriously -- I have t-shirts with the rips sewn back in -- in different color threads. I have jeans with more mends than jean in them.

I have boots that are 20 years old - and I still wear them. I don't throw away a pair of tennis shoes until there's foot showing through.....

What's your take - on the utility, need, or desirability of fashion??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-05-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: The Value of Fashion
(08-05-2015 09:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you spend a large percentage of your income on clothing and "accessories"?

My SO has a truckload (and I mean semi - not pickup) of clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry and "accessories". She meet with the public a lot, occasionally represents the company in court and has to meet with State regulators and whatnot -- so I suppose it's appropriate for her to look "fashionable". I had to convert a 14 x 16 foot room into a closet for her. I built a half dozen roll-around clothing racks to hold all her stuff.

Me - I haven't owned a suit in 25 years, and I spent my "year's allowance" on a half dozen t-shirts the other day.

Seriously -- I have t-shirts with the rips sewn back in -- in different color threads. I have jeans with more mends than jean in them.

I have boots that are 20 years old - and I still wear them. I don't throw away a pair of tennis shoes until there's foot showing through.....

Clothes, shoes Drooling Ummm yes, I might spend some of my money on those sorts of things. But, but I need them...at least that's what I keep telling myself anyway. Besides, it's not my fault, I blame it on society Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
(08-05-2015 09:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you spend a large percentage of your income on clothing and "accessories"?

My take is comfortable and good loking clothes appropriate for different occasions, also elegant wallet, well made watch and good cologne. As for electronics I'm quite old fashioned as I don't use MP3/MP4, ebook readers or smartphones.

However significant part of my income goes into the books.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-05-2015, 10:52 AM
I wear my clothes till they start falling to bits. If I buy new shoes or jeans, I know my size, so I'm in and out of the shop like a light. I hate trying things on! When I get home I put them away, leave them there and continue to wear my old stuff, much to the annoyance of the missus. She throws away some of my old stuff when I'm not around.

I have quite a few nice jackets. A gay chap who's a friend of a friend is mad about fashion, buys a fancy jacket, wears it twice and then buys a new one. He's the same size as me so we raid his wardrobe now and then.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
I love to wear jeans and t-shirts, the more broken-in the better. However, that is my around-the-house wardrobe only. I have a dress code where I work, so it is suit and tie most of the time for me. Even then, I try to dress nice, but I do not spend a lot except on shoes. After wearing dress shoes all day every day, I have learned the value of a good pair of dress shoes.

As soon as I walk in the door at home, I am singing like Mr. Rogers while I change into my pajama pants or jeans.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
08-05-2015, 11:05 AM
(08-05-2015 11:03 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I love to wear jeans and t-shirts, the more broken-in the better. However, that is my around-the-house wardrobe only. I have a dress code where I work, so it is suit and tie most of the time for me. Even then, I try to dress nice, but I do not spend a lot except on shoes. After wearing dress shoes all day every day, I have learned the value of a good pair of dress shoes.

As soon as I walk in the door at home, I am singing like Mr. Rogers while I change into my pajama pants or jeans.

You need to get a pair of pajama jeans. I don't have any, but these people sure seem to like them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoGg_aJYkM
08-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I have a bunch if shirts that look like swiss cheese when you hold them up to a light.
Hundreds of tiny welding burn holes. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-05-2015, 11:29 AM
(08-05-2015 11:05 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 11:03 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I love to wear jeans and t-shirts, the more broken-in the better. However, that is my around-the-house wardrobe only. I have a dress code where I work, so it is suit and tie most of the time for me. Even then, I try to dress nice, but I do not spend a lot except on shoes. After wearing dress shoes all day every day, I have learned the value of a good pair of dress shoes.

You need to get a pair of pajama jeans. I don't have any, but these people sure seem to like them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoGg_aJYkM

Trips to Wal-Mart will never be the same!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
08-05-2015, 12:23 PM
(08-05-2015 11:08 AM)pablo Wrote:  I have a bunch if shirts that look like swiss cheese when you hold them up to a light.

Stick or MIG?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-05-2015, 12:26 PM
(08-05-2015 12:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 11:08 AM)pablo Wrote:  I have a bunch if shirts that look like swiss cheese when you hold them up to a light.

Stick or MIG?

Mig mostly, stick only if I'm outside.