The Value of Fashion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: The Value of Fashion
(08-05-2015 12:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 12:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Stick or MIG?

Mig mostly, stick only if I'm outside.

They're great for big projects - but the splatter mess is annoying...

I love my TIG.... Have a Miller Aircrafter....

100 percent duty cycle at 260 amp , 60 percent at 400 amp.

Closed loop cooling system.

Got it from a customer who owed me a favor -- for 1000 bucks... one of my best buys ever...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-05-2015, 12:44 PM
(08-05-2015 12:29 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 12:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  Mig mostly, stick only if I'm outside.

They're great for big projects - but the splatter mess is annoying...

I love my TIG.... Have a Miller Aircrafter....

100 percent duty cycle at 260 amp , 60 percent at 400 amp.

Closed loop cooling system.

Got it from a customer who owed me a favor -- for 1000 bucks... one of my best buys ever...

I can't do it anymore. Last place I worked welding was Gill/Porter building athletic equipment, mostly the retractable basketball nets.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Never did it for a living. I'm just one of those machinists who "think" he can weld...

Big Grin

That said -- I did my syrup pan out of 14 gauge 308 ss, and put baffles on the inside - and heat collectors on the bottom -- 28 inch x 58 inch - and got it flat within 1/8 of an inch.

Without a jig.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-05-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm one of those welders who thinks he can run a Bridgeport.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I think I worked with you.....

Or several of you..

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-05-2015, 05:46 PM
I buy my clothes from charity thrift stores like Goodwill because 1) they're already broken in so I don't have to wash them a dozen times to make them comfortable and 2) they have more options in my size than anywhere else 'cause fat dudes die younger and 3) they're cheap. Like free cheap.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-05-2015, 06:08 PM
My preference would be jeans and t-shirts all the time - bare feet too...but that's not really practical.

I now have to dress better than jeans for work but not super dressy. I have some clothes that I have had for years and years. I tend to cycle them around. They may be in a holding pattern for a couple years till I take them out and match them up with other things.

I have shoes, skirts, and dresses that I have had for years and years. I don't tend to wear clothes out so they last me forever. When my t-shirts get too old and worn to wear out they have a second life as at home only wear.

I wear one piece of jewelry and that's my wedding ring. I am not coherent enough in the morning to try to match up stuff like that. Now and then I will wear a watch and for super special occasions I may dig out a necklace and a pair of earrings...like maybe once a year.

The purse thing baffles me. I find one I like and carry it till is just too awful to carry anymore and that can be a few years. How some women swap purses around is beyond me. Again, like the jewelry, I can't be fussed.

My husband wears things till their original state is barely recognizable.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Re: The Value of Fashion
I typically don't buy clothes new. I see it as a waste of money when I can assemble any wardrobe I like from second-hand sources.

That being said, I wear my clothes till they tear up. I might sew up a favorite pair of pants several times, though.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
08-05-2015, 10:25 PM
"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

-Oscar Wilde

Never heard it said better.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-05-2015, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 10:42 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Most days I'm a Levi's-and-t-shirt sorta guy. I know how to dress up and look like it belongs on me; I've got a small but nice collection of silk paisley ties and some decent button-ups. I'll shine my cowboy boots if the occasion warrants. I've had this pair of Dan Posts for 7 years, in basic black cowhide, they're comfortable and still look nice.

I don't pay attention to trends or shit like that, never have, never will.

I don't have a problem with wearing stuff into the ground. A good pair of Levi's will see use until threadbare; sometimes a pair of jeans just gets to know me, and I'll keep them until they fall apart, literally. Great for hot summers, having the ventilation there ....
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post