The Value of Fashion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: The Value of Fashion
(08-05-2015 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never did it for a living. I'm just one of those machinists who "think" he can weld...

Big Grin

That said -- I did my syrup pan out of 14 gauge 308 ss, and put baffles on the inside - and heat collectors on the bottom -- 28 inch x 58 inch - and got it flat within 1/8 of an inch.

Without a jig.

I'll have to show you some of the stuff my father had made, he's a sheet-metal fabricator by trade, and currently works in the domestic oil-industry as head of maintenance and the personal special projects manager of his boss. Need something custom built, he builds it; and always twice as overkill as you need it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-05-2015, 02:14 AM
Most of my wardrobe consists of athletic wear and scrubs. My fitted athletic tees are what I also wear with my scrub pants to work - even when a scrub top was required I wore my tees as an undershirt to keep dirty old men from staring down my shirt.

I have several fitted tees and button ups from J. Crew that have lasted me several years. Regular t-shirts from races, college, and high school. Several dresses and and a handful of cute tops from Anthropologie and White House Black Market - I keep them until they go out of style or no longer fit - I rarely wear out clothing from those stores. I've only bought two tops for all of spring this year. I'll be buying another top or cute dress for going out tonight - Rocket City Brewfest and Good Night Fest with some old friends that are all engineers, attorneys, and healthcare professionals.

My current pair of jeans is by Citizens of Humanity - does nice things for my ass...I refuse to wear jeans that give me a mom ass. I used to wear Lucky jeans but the quality sucks now - I started to wear them out after only one year.

I wear my heels and sandals out or keep them til they are no longer in style - I shop at Dillard's or get cute sandals online at Anthropoligie. I will purchase new running shoes every 300 miles or so. Got a pair of $160 danskos on sale for $39 for my work shoes last summer.

I've kept the same pair of polarized RayBan wayfarers since 2009 - time for a new pair this summer - will probably be a pair of polarized RayBan aviators. Maybe also a pair of Maui Jims.

My last somewhat designer purse was a Coach bag also purchased in 2009. I don't typically carry a purse - maybe only three or four times a year the past several years. I have a wallet on my key chain. Other than that I have a glittered clutch I got for a semi-formal party a few years back to match a fabulous pair of heels.

For jewelry I almost always wear only my pearl earrings, occasionally a pair of diamond studs that once belonged to Mom. Otherwise I have jewelry I purchase to go with my party tops. I need to get my pearl necklace restrung. Almost all of the rest of my jewelry is heirloom from my paternal grandmother. Still haven't sold my wedding rings - they haven't been back on since December 31st.

In summary
I really don't own a lot of clothing (other than scrubs/athletic wear) and accessories, but yeh, I spend a moderate amount of money on the pieces I "do" own.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
09-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Did some one say clothes shoes purses Big Grin

I have much clothes and shoes I have 2 closets. However I never buy retail always from thrift stores and then it has to be on sale and a name brand and food quality.
I've been known to look brands up to know of its worth it. I am the thrift store queen at least that is what everyone calls me lol
09-05-2015, 10:53 AM
(09-05-2015 02:14 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Most of my wardrobe consists of athletic wear and scrubs. My fitted athletic tees are what I also wear with my scrub pants to work - even when a scrub top was required I wore my tees as an undershirt to keep dirty old men from staring down my shirt.

I have several fitted tees and button ups from J. Crew that have lasted me several years. Regular t-shirts from races, college, and high school. Several dresses and and a handful of cute tops from Anthropologie and White House Black Market - I keep them until they go out of style or no longer fit - I rarely wear out clothing from those stores. I've only bought two tops for all of spring this year. I'll be buying another top or cute dress for going out tonight - Rocket City Brewfest and Good Night Fest with some old friends that are all engineers, attorneys, and healthcare professionals.

My current pair of jeans is by Citizens of Humanity - does nice things for my ass...I refuse to wear jeans that give me a mom ass. I used to wear Lucky jeans but the quality sucks now - I started to wear them out after only one year.

I wear my heels and sandals out or keep them til they are no longer in style - I shop at Dillard's or get cute sandals online at Anthropoligie. I will purchase new running shoes every 300 miles or so. Got a pair of $160 danskos on sale for $39 for my work shoes last summer.

I've kept the same pair of polarized RayBan wayfarers since 2009 - time for a new pair this summer - will probably be a pair of polarized RayBan aviators. Maybe also a pair of Maui Jims.

My last somewhat designer purse was a Coach bag also purchased in 2009. I don't typically carry a purse - maybe only three or four times a year the past several years. I have a wallet on my key chain. Other than that I have a glittered clutch I got for a semi-formal party a few years back to match a fabulous pair of heels.

For jewelry I almost always wear only my pearl earrings, occasionally a pair of diamond studs that once belonged to Mom. Otherwise I have jewelry I purchase to go with my party tops. I need to get my pearl necklace restrung. Almost all of the rest of my jewelry is heirloom from my paternal grandmother. Still haven't sold my wedding rings - they haven't been back on since December 31st.

In summary
I really don't own a lot of clothing (other than scrubs/athletic wear) and accessories, but yeh, I spend a moderate amount of money on the pieces I "do" own.

Nordstrom Rack has summer dresses 50 percent off. I don't know if there is one near you...
09-05-2015, 11:18 AM
(09-05-2015 10:45 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Did some one say clothes shoes purses Big Grin

I have much clothes and shoes I have 2 closets. However I never buy retail always from thrift stores and then it has to be on sale and a name brand and food quality.
I've been known to look brands up to know of its worth it. I am the thrift store queen at least that is what everyone calls me lol

Blink

As in edible? Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-05-2015, 11:24 AM
It's reassuring that so many here do the "recycle" thing with clothing and those that buy bargain stuff.

I find nothing dumber than a person who pays high dollar retail for clothing.

You can't buy an identity with high dollar fashion.

You just show your susceptibility to advertising.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-05-2015, 11:29 AM
(09-05-2015 11:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 10:45 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Did some one say clothes shoes purses Big Grin

Blink

As in edible? Tongue

Dang auto correct! Lol
09-05-2015, 11:30 AM
(09-05-2015 11:29 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 11:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Blink

As in edible? Tongue

Dang auto correct! Lol

But it was an awesome autocorrect! Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-05-2015, 03:17 PM
(09-05-2015 02:14 AM)Nurse Wrote:  dirty old men from staring down my shirt.

*cough*
[Image: oh-my-takei.gif]
*cough*

When I was in high school I was very depressed and unhappy, and that was typically reflected in how I dressed. Dark clothing, mismatched articles, etc. After I graduated I marked the occasion by getting colorful clothing and being mindful of what matched and what didn't. Not only did I notice I grew more confident, but I also noticed how differently people treated me. I got hit on more, and I typically attracted more people as friends.

It was odd.

So I think it really doesn't matter about being fashionable per se, because my wardrobe is nothing but shorts, jeans, and t-shirts too. They are just colorful, outgoing, and clean. What matters is looking presentable.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]