The Value of Nice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The Value of Nice
I'm a nice guy, so I've had my share of being walked on. I've also seen plenty of my friends go through the same thing.

Through my vast experience as a human carpet, I've noticed several trends. Nice people (guys and girls) get walked on, because they let it happen. This one seems like a no brainer, but to the millions of niceys out there, it seems to be the elusive truth. You see, nice people don't think like mean people. We are optimists, we force ourselves to see the best in people. We won't let the blaring obviousness that we are being played take root in our brain. To do so would undermine our entire way of thinking.

The entire life of someone who falls into this category is bound to be riddled with pain and deceit. Though, it seems no matter what happens, we always seem to come back for more. Always clinging to that hope that the next person will be different, or that people will change. This, of course, is the irrationality that keeps us from being jaded.

Though we wear our hearts on our sleeve, and tend to get them broken more often than others, the damage never really pierces all the way through. Because we can love so easily, because we can forgive so readily, we can be nice to those that don't deserve it.

Never make the mistake that niceness equals weakness. You'll never find someone of stronger character than someone who can forgive. Never will you find someone stronger than one who can take the beating, stand back up and with a smile on their face say, "thank you sir, may I have another". Physical wounds heal all by themselves. Mental and emotional wounds don't heal on their own, and it takes a strong person to mend them.

All in all, I'm happy to be a nice guy. And if you're my friend, I would do anything to help you. No matter the cost to me, I will be there till I have nothing left to give.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-02-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: The Value of Nice
You forgot something else about us nice people.
We are called "victims" and others always tell us to stop being stepped on and not feel bad about being mean if the other person deserves it.
But when we try to be mean, we feel so freaking bad about it, even if the other person is Satan.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
(03-02-2014 03:09 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm a nice guy, so I've had my share of being walked on. I've also seen plenty of my friends go through the same thing.

Through my vast experience as a human carpet, I've noticed several trends. Nice people (guys and girls) get walked on, because they let it happen. This one seems like a no brainer, but to the millions of niceys out there, it seems to be the elusive truth. You see, nice people don't think like mean people. We are optimists, we force ourselves to see the best in people. We won't let the blaring obviousness that we are being played take root in our brain. To do so would undermine our entire way of thinking.

The entire life of someone who falls into this category is bound to be riddled with pain and deceit. Though, it seems no matter what happens, we always seem to come back for more. Always clinging to that hope that the next person will be different, or that people will change. This, of course, is the irrationality that keeps us from being jaded.

Though we wear our hearts on our sleeve, and tend to get them broken more often than others, the damage never really pierces all the way through. Because we can love so easily, because we can forgive so readily, we can be nice to those that don't deserve it.

Never make the mistake that niceness equals weakness. You'll never find someone of stronger character than someone who can forgive. Never will you find someone stronger than one who can take the beating, stand back up and with a smile on their face say, "thank you sir, may I have another". Physical wounds heal all by themselves. Mental and emotional wounds don't heal on their own, and it takes a strong person to mend them.

All in all, I'm happy to be a nice guy. And if you're my friend, I would do anything to help you. No matter the cost to me, I will be there till I have nothing left to give.

[Image: Its_Nice_to_be_Nice.jpg]

(1) Me too. So I understood every word you just said Thumbsup
(2) Don't ever change. Please.
(3) Your post made me smile. Thanks. I needed that. Especially today.

As soon as the system allows - I'll rep you points just for being NICE.

YesThumbsupYesThumbsupYesThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
03-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm a nice guy but I don't take shit from no-one.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
(03-02-2014 03:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  You forgot something else about us nice people.
We are called "victims" and others always tell us to stop being stepped on and not feel bad about being mean if the other person deserves it.
But when we try to be mean, we feel so freaking bad about it, even if the other person is Satan.

Aye. It goes along with not thinking like mean people think.

(03-02-2014 03:18 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  [Image: Its_Nice_to_be_Nice.jpg]

(1) Me too. So I understood every word you just said Thumbsup
(2) Don't ever change. Please.
(3) Your post made me smile. Thanks. I needed that. Especially today.

As soon as the system allows - I'll rep you points just for being NICE.

YesThumbsupYesThumbsupYesThumbsup

Glad you liked it. I wouldn't dream of changing. The satisfaction I get out of life simply by being nice to people is worth any heartbreak that comes as a result. I am a bit more guarded with who I consider "friend" as I've gotten older, but I will be nice to pretty much anyone until they give me sufficient reason to ignore them.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-02-2014, 03:25 PM
(03-02-2014 03:19 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I'm a nice guy but I don't take shit from no-one.

You can be a nice person and not accept shit from no-one, it's just more likely that people will try to take advantage of your niceness.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
(03-02-2014 03:19 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I'm a nice guy but I don't take shit from no-one.

This is a double negative meaning you do take shit from someone. Smartass

But I agree with the sentiment. The OP makes it sound like the only way you can be a nice person is if you let people treat you like dirt. That's utter horse hockey. There is nothing that says a person who stands up for himself is a mean person, and it's insulting.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
03-02-2014, 03:32 PM
(03-02-2014 03:25 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  

You can be a nice person and not accept shit from no-one, it's just more likely that people will try to take advantage of your niceness.

That can be the problem, nice people can be so frustrating. They are open to being taken advantage of. You try to do the nice thing and help them out, and then they do the same thing again with somebody else.

03-02-2014, 03:34 PM
(03-02-2014 03:31 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  

But I agree with the sentiment. The OP makes it sound like the only way you can be a nice person is if you let people treat you like dirt. That's utter horse hockey. There is nothing that says a person who stands up for himself is a mean person, and it's insulting.

Well I'd word it a bit differently:
In that yes a person can be Nice Up To A Point where they draw the line at absolute abuse.
For if you're Really Nice - you're also nice to yourself.

Cool

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
03-02-2014, 03:34 PM
(03-02-2014 03:31 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  

Thumbsup