The Value of Nice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: The Value of Nice
(03-02-2014 03:31 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 03:19 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I'm a nice guy but I don't take shit from no-one.

This is a double negative meaning you do take shit from someone. Smartass

But I agree with the sentiment. The OP makes it sound like the only way you can be a nice person is if you let people treat you like dirt. That's utter horse hockey. There is nothing that says a person who stands up for himself is a mean person, and it's insulting.

That's not my intent at all. Saying that nice people tend to let it happen is not the same as saying that it's the ONLY way for you to be a nice person, and I certainly never said that standing up for yourself makes you mean.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
(03-02-2014 03:34 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 03:31 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This is a double negative meaning you do take shit from someone. Smartass

But I agree with the sentiment. The OP makes it sound like the only way you can be a nice person is if you let people treat you like dirt. That's utter horse hockey. There is nothing that says a person who stands up for himself is a mean person, and it's insulting.

Well I'd word it a bit differently:
In that yes a person can be Nice Up To A Point where they draw the line at absolute abuse.
For if you're Really Nice - you're also nice to yourself.

Cool

Thanks, Sabrina. You get it. Smile

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I used to be a nice guy, and in some ways still am, but as time went on I became a cynic about other people, which in turn makes it a bit easier not to be a nice guy to begin with.
Not saying I'm a prick to start with, but rather I wait,watch and see, what other people are about first and then very slowly move to being the nice guy/friend that they deserve, if ever.
Given enough rope, people will hang themselves and I dont get fucked in the meantime.

I know.... lousy way to look at life, but it's what happens when you've seen and been through to much sick shit in this world.

I wish that others can go through life without ever having to get this attitude, but sometimes shit happens.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
I like to think that I am a nice person. I don't shout at people, I get upset when I think people are upset with me, I am more than happy to cheer up a stranger (I spent New Years Eve making sure a lady at my table in the pub was alright - didn't know her from Adam - because I hated the thought of leaving someone upset and on their own when I could do something to help), I like to do things to make people happy - if I feel they are worthy of it. I don't necessarily respect people straight off (although I will be respectful in the way I speak), true respect has to be earned.

People can be, in general, total arseholes, excuse my language. But I don't see why I have to be one in response to it. If someone makes me angry, often I am polite in my anger and hold my ground. I am thoroughly capable of forgiveness, but at the same time I can be really unforgiving, depending on the situation.

I like being a nice person. I feel it does get you further in life in the correct dosages.

Now, would anyone like a cup of tea?

Smile

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
[+] 3 users Like SpaceMonkey's post
03-02-2014, 04:08 PM
(03-02-2014 04:04 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I like to think that I am a nice person. I don't shout at people, I get upset when I think people are upset with me, I am more than happy to cheer up a stranger (I spent New Years Eve making sure a lady at my table in the pub was alright - didn't know her from Adam - because I hated the thought of leaving someone upset and on their own when I could do something to help), I like to do things to make people happy - if I feel they are worthy of it. I don't necessarily respect people straight off (although I will be respectful in the way I speak), true respect has to be earned.

People can be, in general, total arseholes, excuse my language. But I don't see why I have to be one in response to it. If someone makes me angry, often I am polite in my anger and hold my ground. I am thoroughly capable of forgiveness, but at the same time I can be really unforgiving, depending on the situation.

I like being a nice person. I feel it does get you further in life in the correct dosages.

Smile

Seems you understand my point completely. Smile

I'd love a cup of tea.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
(03-02-2014 04:04 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I am thoroughly capable of forgiveness,

Smile

We have a saying "god forgives, we dont" , sorry but had to change that a bit.

Anyway, you guys got a cup of tea for me too ?
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
03-02-2014, 04:37 PM
(03-02-2014 04:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 04:04 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I am thoroughly capable of forgiveness,

Smile

We have a saying "god forgives, we dont" , sorry but had to change that a bit.

[Image: cup-tea-2-17771714.jpg]

I love tea.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I am very nice. Big Grin

Until I think it's time to be lethal. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
03-02-2014, 04:43 PM
(03-02-2014 04:37 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 04:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  We have a saying "god forgives, we dont" , sorry but had to change that a bit.

I love tea.

I'll bring some "hot apple pie" , to give it some flavor..... mmmm. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
03-02-2014, 04:45 PM
(03-02-2014 04:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am very nice. Big Grin

Until I think it's time to be lethal. Tongue

I think I love you..... Wink