The Value of Nice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: The Value of Nice
(04-02-2014 08:28 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 05:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  These are you words, not mine. There are no delineating variations of nice, either you're a nice person or you aren't. When you make a blanket statement that "nice people get walked on" or "We are optimists," you are speaking for all nice people.

You can make comments that other people "get" your point, but the true problem was your inability to turn an accurate phrase. It doesn't take a genius to deduce your point; it was the way you liberally used generalities and definitive statements that drew my objection.

Let's look at it this way: Can nice people be pessimistic? Of course. So, when you say nice people are optimists, you are making a huge assumption and disregarding an entire set of nice people who are less than rosy in their worldview.

Can a nice person have a spine? Sure. There's nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, and you can achieve this courage while being nice.

And the converse hurts your points as well. Can a mean person get walked on? Why not? You can be mean but still have no spine when it comes to standing up to your boss, etc.

Can a mean person be an optimist? Of course. Just because this person takes your milk money doesn't mean he can't also have a can-do attitude.

So while I disagreed with your post, it certainly doesn't mean I didn't understand it.

Deep breaths, man. Deep breaths. You're reading far too much into this than there is. It's really not that big of a deal. This is simply my take on being a nice guy, from my own personal narrow viewpoint.

Don't like it? That's fine. I just wanted to share my own thoughts on the topic. It's not a masterpiece, or even good prose. It's a stream of thought that I put onto a screen. Take issue with whichever points you want to, but my message is still the same.

Be a nice person and be happy about it. That's it, man. That's all there is to it.

Smile

This was a bit of shenanigans on my part. I was hoping if I was a bit upset and gave you guff you'd stand up to me and break your streak of letting people walk all over you. And you kinda sorta did stand up to me, in a nice way. Thumbsup

I understand exactly what you were saying, I was just wondering if someone took "offense" to your post I wondered how you would react. I'm not mean, ask anyone on here. Angel

But I do agree with standing up for yourself, don't be bullied or manipulated or you can never be happy.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Quote:I'm not mean, ask anyone on here.

Well would you look at that...it seems there's a pile of bovine manure right here on the floor. I wonder how that got there?

Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Very nice.

Smile

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
04-02-2014, 09:22 AM
(04-02-2014 09:12 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 08:28 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Deep breaths, man. Deep breaths. You're reading far too much into this than there is. It's really not that big of a deal. This is simply my take on being a nice guy, from my own personal narrow viewpoint.

Don't like it? That's fine. I just wanted to share my own thoughts on the topic. It's not a masterpiece, or even good prose. It's a stream of thought that I put onto a screen. Take issue with whichever points you want to, but my message is still the same.

Be a nice person and be happy about it. That's it, man. That's all there is to it.

Smile

This was a bit of shenanigans on my part. I was hoping if I was a bit upset and gave you guff you'd stand up to me and break your streak of letting people walk all over you. And you kinda sorta did stand up to me, in a nice way. Thumbsup

I understand exactly what you were saying, I was just wondering if someone took "offense" to your post I wondered how you would react. I'm not mean, ask anyone on here. Angel

But I do agree with standing up for yourself, don't be bullied or manipulated or you can never be happy.

I'm kinda new here, so people don't know me well yet. I am a nice guy because I choose to be. It's not because I'm some genetic freak who is incapable of cruelty. Its that I've been down the road of anger, and I don't like where it leads.

I will stand up for myself, I may even insult someone when they've pushed me too far, but as a rule I choose to be nice. Even to people who generally don't deserve it.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
04-02-2014, 09:27 AM
That's cool.

----
04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Damnit, now I dont even want the tea anymore Angry ...... now if ya offered me a beer , we could talk. Tongue
04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
(04-02-2014 09:31 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Damnit, now I dont even want the tea anymore Angry ...... now if ya offered me a beer , we could talk. Tongue

I'll drink to that.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
(04-02-2014 09:31 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Damnit, now I dont even want the tea anymore Angry ...... now if ya offered me a beer , we could talk. Tongue

erm......gluten free beer? I have that.
lol

otherwise it's Jamesons. (but its a wee bit early for the Jamesons)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
(04-02-2014 09:37 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

erm......gluten free beer? I have that.
lol

otherwise it's Jamesons. (but its a wee bit early for the Jamesons)

What the heck is "gluten free beer" Huh I want my beer to have everything in it, actually the more crap, the better. Tongue

And.... its never to early for a beer. Cool
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
(04-02-2014 08:05 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not nice. I hate people way too much to be nice. And I really am serious. There are, of course, individuals that I like to varying degrees, but people in general...bah....I just can't stand them.

But then, I am also of the opinion that Homo sapiens is a failed species. So there's that.

Except homo sapiens invented barbecue. So there's that in our favor.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post