The Vietnam War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2013, 01:26 AM
The Vietnam War
Wink

Remember this one? This is one where the U.S. couldn't keep a puppet in power long enough in the south and couldn't defeat the people of Vietnam. The U.S. in the process of trying to "bring democracy" to vietnam Rolleyes killed 3 million vietnamese and killed untold amounts of cambodians and laosians during the then secret massive bombing raids.

Here come the new definitions of winning a war....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2013, 06:03 AM
RE: The Vietnam War
Is this another thread where you say how bad the US is? Or are you actually planning to discuss this event in history?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
22-05-2013, 06:35 AM
(22-05-2013 06:03 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Is this another thread where you say how bad the US is? Or are you actually planning to discuss this event in history?

Lets discuss.
22-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Every time you make a new thread, a kitten dies.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
22-05-2013, 09:04 AM
(22-05-2013 06:35 AM)I and I Wrote:  Lets discuss.

Well begin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
22-05-2013, 09:06 AM
How exactly are 'amounts' of certain people defined?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-05-2013, 09:09 AM
And surely Vietnam didn't happen...the CIA was too busy, what will killing the Kennedys and setting Nixon up for the whole Watergate conspiracy. Wasn't it cool how Jackie stood by while LBJ was sworn in on Air Force One? Oh wait that leads into the AirForce Ones...the sneaker conspiracy sung about by a hip hop artist as a way for the man to keep those certain amounts of a certain kind of people in check.

Holy Shit Batman! It is all interconnected!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-05-2013, 10:32 AM
(22-05-2013 09:04 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 06:35 AM)I and I Wrote:  Lets discuss.

Well begin.

The vietnam war was an attempt on the part of the U.S. to continue the previous colonialization of Vietnam and had nothing to do with "spreading democracy" "stopping communism" "stopping the soviet union". It was all about spreading the U.S. empire and nothing more.

Ho Chi Minh actually went to the U.S. for help in achieving vietnam independence. Of course the U.S. says no, so then he goes to the other big super power to ask for the same thing. What if the U.S. would have actually been about freeing people and helped Ho Chi Minh get independence. He certainly wouldn't have went to the Soviet Union for academic learning and learned bout communism.

Same with other so called "commies" many of them were nationalists that were pushed to go to the soviets for help because the U.S. wouldn't help them, and in the process they learned communism and became communist.
22-05-2013, 11:15 AM
[Image: lmaonade_thumb.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Let's at least get our background in place...

The US did suppot the Viet Minh - but only until the Japanese left. Then they washed their hands of the place. Ho and the gang first got Soviet support to fight the French, who tried to reoccupy the country (against the wishes and advice of the USA, mind!). They retrenched to the south for a while, but buggered out in 1954 (to clusterfuck around in Algeria instead). At which point Diem was in charge in the south, and both he and Ho ran fraudulent, farcical elections (the "we won more votes than there are voters" kind of elections) to 'affirm' their right to be in charge.

Of course, by then the North Vietnamese were officially Communist (and had the requisite street cred, having executed hundreds of thousands of 'landowners' and 'capitalists', ie anyone whose neighbours had grudges; the South also executed communists, but only tens of thousands), and the anti-colonial USA had been replaced by the paranoid anti-communist USA, who (rather inexorably, at this point) started assisting and advising the South. Of course, then Diem was assassinated (for being a corrupt dictatorial jerk) and the North Vietnamese escalated their insurgency in the south, which the US now had to oppose, or else lose face to the Soviets (and who could dare allow a proxy gap?).

Thus, the Vietnam war. Which, like, say, the entire cold war, had nothing to do with ideology and everything to do with "maximize our influence by whatever means possible", on both sides.

History! The more you know...
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post