The Virgin Birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2014, 07:30 PM
RE: The Virgin Birth
(28-07-2014 07:23 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Here's another point I brought up elsewhwere in the forum:

Each human ovum is genetically distinct and which ovarian follicle develops into the dominant follicle (which contains the ovum) and which ovary contains the "lucky" follicle appears to be chosen at random. The point is this: if Mary had been impregnated during a different ovarian cycle, would we have had a different Jesus from the one we now know? If it is claimed that there could have been no other alternative, then this suggests God's actions and the timing of his divine plan were constrained by a Jewish peasant girl's menstrual cycle!

It also inevitably follows that Mary was predestined to be born to carry the "lucky" ovum, her parents were predestined to bear her, and so on through all history (see Kim's point above). This means that all history is pre-ordained. God foresaw and planned all of history down to the "lucky" ovum in Mary's ovary, destroying any sense of free will in any of Mary's ancestors.

Fertilization depends on a host of other factors, including the timing of the copulation, the position used, the ambient temperature, and so on and so forth. A minute's delay in ejaculation would have introduced the sperm load in a different configuration, and perhaps a different spermatozoon would have won the race to the ovum. So Mary's mother (named Anna, by common Catholic belief) could never have claimed a "headache" the night that Mary was conceived.

Doc

I shall get right on this. I will use my connections, (such as they are .. shut up) and immediately write to Rome. I have discovered my cause in life. I shall not rest until there is a Feast of the Holy Chosen Oocyte. Some day you will be able to boast "I had HIM in my Sunday School Class".

You're welcome.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Quote:Mind you, I don't believe any of this, but that's what the Catholic church teaches.

I don't give a flying fuck what they teach. The whole point is to... Angel get the point out of the hole.

Unless its some priest butt-fucking an altar boy they are uncomfortable with fucking.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-07-2014, 12:17 AM
(28-07-2014 08:18 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  First off the only way to test if a woman was a virgin back then was by word until her wedding day if the sheets had blood during consummation. She was only promised to Joseph and was not yet married so how could they be sure. Even Joseph wasn't buying it at first.

Virginity for most of human history was considered a physical state, in which the hymen is intact and not damaged. Women were physically checked to insure an intact hymen=virgin.

What blew me away was when I found out, as a Christian Big Grin, that according to Catholic doctrine, Mary was a virgin after giving birth to Jesus Blink.

Historically, the development of the mother of Christ from a mere woman to a being other than human is amazing. According to the Church, Mary's own birth was unnatural.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
29-07-2014, 12:28 AM
(29-07-2014 12:17 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 08:18 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  First off the only way to test if a woman was a virgin back then was by word until her wedding day if the sheets had blood during consummation. She was only promised to Joseph and was not yet married so how could they be sure. Even Joseph wasn't buying it at first.

Virginity for most of human history was considered a physical state, in which the hymen is intact and not damaged. Women were physically checked to insure an intact hymen=virgin.

What blew me away was when I found out, as a Christian Big Grin, that according to Catholic doctrine, Mary was a virgin after giving birth to Jesus Blink.

Historically, the development of the mother of Christ from a mere woman to a being other than human is amazing. According to the Church, Mary's own birth was unnatural.

Maybe Jesus popped her butt cherry on his way out.
29-07-2014, 12:45 AM
My question is why did god actually make Jesus come into this world as a child? It would have saved lots of time, but I guess it would not have been as good as story!
29-07-2014, 12:48 AM
[Image: jan-20-2014-in-italy-a-nun-gave-birth-cl...e4bb58.jpg]
29-07-2014, 12:54 AM
(29-07-2014 12:45 AM)shotupdave Wrote:  My question is why did god actually make Jesus come into this world as a child? It would have saved lots of time, but I guess it would not have been as good as story!

Or why did God have to come to Earth in human form to forgive us for something we did which he was essentially responsible for as well.
[Image: Oh-my-God.jpg]