The Virgin Mary was from europe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 10:32 PM by grizzlysnake.)
The Virgin Mary was from europe?
Okay, at dinner tonight we were discussing the origins of Christmas and inevitably lead to Jesus' origin and supposed ethnicity. My brother purported the idea that Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent. Now This is just bizarre, I never heard anything like this but my brother always presents his case confidently, and I just find the whole idea a mess. He says he even knows this since they have the census records somewhere. I asked where he got this theory from and he cites Glenn Kimble. I just gave a search and he himself seems very dubious of the little information I actually found. A pseudo-scholar that went on Coast to Coast a lot which my brother is an avid listener. I find coast to coast a bit..eh negligible. UFO's, ghosts, big foot, conspiracies..I mean..really? (although I would like to hear some statements of Coast to coast maybe we have a few listeners? opinions?)
So I would like some help on this one, my brother isn't exactly the one to see reason right away.Kinda has to be dragged to it. He just "knows" it's right, I doubt he looked into it and is just parroting.
Also he claimed that the egyptians used copper tools to carve the stone and they got the copper from North American copper mines..I mean...I don't even think I should bother with this one. But hey, you guys got this beautiful collective knowledge and might have some insights or where to look. As of now, I'm severely skeptical of these claimsConsider

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
24-12-2013, 09:53 PM
RE: The Virgin Mary was from europe?
(24-12-2013 08:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent.

And they went for a walk in the forest and came upon a house made of candy in which lived a witch, who flew on a dragon. He forgot that part.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2013, 10:09 PM
(24-12-2013 08:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Okay, at dinner tonight we were discussing the origins of Christmas and inevitably lead to Jesus' origin and supposed ethnicity. My brother purported the idea that Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent. Now This is just bizarre, I never heard anything like this but my brother always presents his case confidently, and I just find the whole idea a mess. He says he even knows this since they have the census records somewhere. I asked where he got this theory from and he cites Glenn Kimble. I just gave a search and he himself seems very dubious of the little information I actually found. A pseudo-scholar that went on Coast to Coast a lot which my brother is an avid listener. I find coast to coast a bit..eh negligible. UFO's, ghosts, big foot, conspiracies..I mean..really? (although I would like to hear some statements of Coast to coast maybe we have a few listeners? opinions?)
So I would like some help on this one, my brother isn't exactly the one to see reason right away.Kinda has top be dragged to it. He just "knows" it's right, I doubt he looked into it and is just parroting.
Also he claimed that the egyptians used copper tools to carve the stone and they got the copper from North American copper mines..I mean...I don't even think I should bother with this one. But hey, you guys got this beautiful collective knowledge and might have some insights or where to look. As of now, I'm severely skeptical of these claimsConsider

No, they were time-travellers from 23rd century Finland. True fact. Smartass

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-12-2013, 10:21 PM
(24-12-2013 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 08:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent.

And they went for a walk in the forest and came upon a house made of candy in which lived a witch, who flew on a dragon. He forgot that part.
yeah, my brother..he's very credulous when it comes to stuff he heard over the radio or a podcast (loves rush limbaugh) ugh... sometimes I just don't even bother. zero point.

26-12-2013, 02:57 PM
(24-12-2013 08:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Okay, at dinner tonight we were discussing the origins of Christmas and inevitably lead to Jesus' origin and supposed ethnicity. My brother purported the idea that Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent. Now This is just bizarre, I never heard anything like this but my brother always presents his case confidently, and I just find the whole idea a mess. He says he even knows this since they have the census records somewhere. I asked where he got this theory from and he cites Glenn Kimble. I just gave a search and he himself seems very dubious of the little information I actually found. A pseudo-scholar that went on Coast to Coast a lot which my brother is an avid listener. I find coast to coast a bit..eh negligible. UFO's, ghosts, big foot, conspiracies..I mean..really? (although I would like to hear some statements of Coast to coast maybe we have a few listeners? opinions?)
So I would like some help on this one, my brother isn't exactly the one to see reason right away.Kinda has to be dragged to it. He just "knows" it's right, I doubt he looked into it and is just parroting.

So, at a time when Europe was a backwater that was either under Roman rule or waring tribes, your brother believes Mary's parents sent her to study abroad?

That's hilarious. The lengths people will go to make their God white is unbelievable.

As for your brother, I wouldn't bother trying to convince him. Any one this naive and gullible is beyond help. Instead, see if you can convince him leprechauns are real and see how long it takes.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
26-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Not that I care but what is so repellant to the male white mind about a brown God ?
26-12-2013, 04:20 PM
(26-12-2013 03:06 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Not that I care but what is so repellant to the male white mind about a brown God ?

The brown part, I'm guessing. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-12-2013, 08:01 AM
grizzlysnake

I think I figured out how you can convince your brother that this story is a total farce. Ask him where in this totally patriarichal society Mary was being sent to study? Was it in the all male Yeshiva? Or was it in the other all male Yeshiva? These were the only places to be educated in ancient Israel. There was no other education other than religious education, and women were not invited to attend. In fact, it wasn't until the last quarter of the 20th century that you saw women being welcome into any Yeshiva and even then it was only in the very modern and progressive ones, and mostly in the US. But, orthodox Jews do not allow women into a Yeshiva or any institution of rabbinical study. There are now women cantors and rabbis in conservative temples in the US (and possibly elsewhere, I'm really not sure about that), but it is a reltaively new phenomenon.

You may want to point out to him that there was no education for women, period, in that time. Not in Israel and not in almost totally illiterate Europe either. Whomever came up with this theory is a blatant racist.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Honey - just tell him "Its aliens" and be done with it.

Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-12-2013, 09:06 AM
(27-12-2013 08:01 AM)BnW Wrote:  grizzlysnake

I think I figured out how you can convince your brother thathis story is a total farce. Ask him where in this totally patriarichal society Mary was being sent to study? Was it in the all male Yeshiva? Or was it in the other all male Yeshiva? These were the only places to be educated in ancient Israel. There was no other education other than religious education, and women were not invited to attend. In fact, it wasn't until the last quarter of the 20th century that you saw women being welcome into any Yeshiva and even then it was only in the very modern and progressive ones, and mostly in the US. But, orthodox Jews do not allow women into a Yeshiva or any institution of rabbinical study. There are now women cantors and rabbis in conservative temples in the US (and possibly elsewhere, I'm really not sure about that), but it is a reltaively new phenomenon.

You may want to point out to him that there was no education for women, period, in that time. Not in Israel and not in almost totally illiterate Europe either. Whomever came up with this theory is a blatant racist.
I really appreciate your help but he's just not listening. He used the word "faith" several times and dismissed everything that puts Glenn Kimble in a negative light.