The Virgin Mary was from europe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 09:07 AM
RE: The Virgin Mary was from europe?
(27-12-2013 08:05 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 08:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Okay, at dinner tonight we were discussing the origins of Christmas and inevitably lead to Jesus' origin and supposed ethnicity. My brother purported the idea that Mary's parents sent her to be educated in the near east and married Joseph and had baby Jesus who was of mixed mid-eastern and Caucasian decent. Now This is just bizarre, I never heard anything like this but my brother always presents his case confidently, and I just find the whole idea a mess. He says he even knows this since they have the census records somewhere. I asked where he got this theory from and he cites Glenn Kimble. I just gave a search and he himself seems very dubious of the little information I actually found. A pseudo-scholar that went on Coast to Coast a lot which my brother is an avid listener. I find coast to coast a bit..eh negligible. UFO's, ghosts, big foot, conspiracies..I mean..really? (although I would like to hear some statements of Coast to coast maybe we have a few listeners? opinions?)
So I would like some help on this one, my brother isn't exactly the one to see reason right away.Kinda has to be dragged to it. He just "knows" it's right, I doubt he looked into it and is just parroting.
Also he claimed that the egyptians used copper tools to carve the stone and they got the copper from North American copper mines..I mean...I don't even think I should bother with this one. But hey, you guys got this beautiful collective knowledge and might have some insights or where to look. As of now, I'm severely skeptical of these claimsConsider

Honey - just tell him "Its aliens" and be done with it.

Thumbsup
Oh yes, he loves those aliensTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
27-12-2013, 01:29 PM
First of all, they were all fake.
Second, easy test: Was Mary a common name back then? And was it tied to a specific region?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
27-12-2013, 02:09 PM
(27-12-2013 09:07 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:05 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Honey - just tell him "Its aliens" and be done with it.

Thumbsup
Oh yes, he loves those aliensTongue

[Image: im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
28-12-2013, 03:06 AM
(26-12-2013 03:06 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Not that I care but what is so repellant to the male white mind about a brown God ?

"Deities" are essentially ourselves by proxy, so a god who doesn't look and act like you is not going to be satisfying to believe in.
28-12-2013, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 05:09 AM by Chippy.)
(26-12-2013 02:57 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, at a time when Europe was a backwater that was either under Roman rule or waring tribes, your brother believes Mary's parents sent her to study abroad?

The idea of Mary being sent to Europe to study is fantasy but I'm not sure that Europe at around 5 BC could be described as a "backwater". That period coincides with Augustus' rule of the Roman Empire. Augustus is credited with ending the civil warring and with bringing a lengthy (~40 years) period of peace over the Empire. Augustus expanded the Empire to include Egypt, large parts of central Europe, parts of Spain and Germany. The Empire's expansion enabled commerce between Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. It was also the era of some of Romes most famous and influential writers, e.g. Horace and Ovid.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2013, 05:08 AM
There really isn't much to go on for showing where Mary originated from. There are a number of theories and questions about Mary, the virgin birth, and Jesus. The Bible doesn't directly say where she is from. However, her parents' names were Joachim and Anne. Both, of which are Hebrew in origin...this suggests that she was of Hebrew origin. She, according to Biblical texts, lived in "her own house" in Nazareth in Galilee. These two facts do suggest she was from the region where much of the supposed Jesus ministry occurred.
30-12-2013, 09:51 AM
A European lass name Mary was impregnated by an angel and gave birth to the Messiah.

What part of the above statement requires the least disbelief?

Since we're discussing the ethnicity of fictional characters let's straighten out this whole Easter Bunny thing. Contrary to at least one recent movie, the Easter Bunny is obviously not Australian. They simply do not approve of rabbits Down Under. He's always struck me as German, a theory strongly supported by pictograms scrawled on ancient Hochtaler bottles referring to Das Hassenpfeffer.
30-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Once Upon a Time, in the Roman Province of Lusitania there lived a girl named Maria. Her hair was the colour of ripe wheat and her skin was as white as the snows that capped the mountains surrounding her remote home. Her mother had died in childbirth and she lived with her father who she loved with all her heart. Her father was a smith and eeked out a living making gladii for the local Roman garrison. They might have lived happily ever after had her father had the good sense not to argue price with a Roman nobleman. The nobleman concluded the negotiations in the traditional manner, with a sword thrust to her father's heart.

In one fell stroke Maria was orphaned and heart-broken. She didn't know the nobleman who had slain her father but she remembered his cruel face and swore mighty oaths to dark gods that she would hunt him down and avenge her father's murder. Thus it was that Maria left her home in the mountains and began her search for the nobleman who had killed her father and for those who would teach her what she would need to know to exact her revenge. The former was mind-numbingly hard. There was no shortage of noblemen in the Roman Empire, many of them were cruel and many of those had killed people's fathers. It was like looking for a straw in a haystack. The latter was impossible. The revenge business was booming and nobody had the time or the inclination to train up a girl.

"Aye," rumbled the Pict, "You'rre a bonnie lass and a crredit to yourr fatherr but forr all that you arre just a lass and I'll nae be teaching you to poke holes in people. It's nae a womanly purrsuit." He was the best of the lot.

"WHORE!" screamed the Corsican. She fled town ahead of a mob.

Summer found Maria wandering the Syrian desert. She'd been seeking the advice of a sage at Apomea but missed the turn at Antiocha. Her mule had died a week back and she'd drunk the last of her water three days ago. Buzzards circled hopefully as she crawled through the burning sand. Maria barely noticed when her hand bumped something too hard to be dirt and too smooth to be a rock. It was an old brass oil lamp, tarnished and pitted and half-buried in the dune. There was an inscription on the side that she could see but it was illegible. Feebly she rubbed at the tarnish. There was a thunderclap and black smoke boiled from the lamp. In the swirling smoke stood a mighty Djinn.

"For freeing me from this lamp I will grant you three magical wishes!" boomed the Djinn.

Maria turned her head from the sand to look at the Djinn. "Food and water," she croaked. There was a string of popping noises like somebody riding a bicycle over bubble-wrap and neatly bundled packets of food dropped to the sand around her. A waterskin, cold as a glacial stream, fell on her outstretched hand.

As Maria slaked her thirst the Djinn spoke in concerned tones. "I can see why the essentials might seem important to you at this instant," he said, "but perhaps I should explain. When I said three magical wishes I meant deeply powerful magic. The stuff of Legends."

"A sturdy mule," murmured Maria through cracked lips, "to carry me and the food. Perhaps a donkey." A large, damp nose nuzzled the back of her neck.

"I've obviously done a poor job of properly conveying the depths of my gratitude." sighed the Djinn, "You've saved me from an eternity of watching sand drift by and I'll be shamed if you don't wish for something more impressive than a domestic animal. I have a rep..."

"Vengance," whispered Maria, "Vengance upon the man who murdered my father."

"Not hugely impressive," muttered the Djinn, "but it's better than lunch and an ass. I'll go explode his head."

"No!" barked Maria and the Djinn halted out of surprise that such an authoritative command could have been uttered by somebody who had been on death's door mere moments ago.

"I don't want him dead," continued Maria, "I want Vengance! I want him to beg for mercy, to crush the life from him and to send his soul shrieking into eternal suffering. I want the power to do this. More power than the Caesars. More power than all the Gods themselves!"

"Oh no..." whispered the Djinn going pale, "Trust me. You don't want that."

Maria looked him straight in his eyes, "Yes. I. Do."

"You truly don't." pleaded the Djinn, "You don't know what you're asking."

Maria's eyes were as hard as flint and as cold as the empty space between galaxies. "Djinn," she commanded, "grant me this wish!"

The Djinn blinked twice and the air shimmered slightly.

"That's it?" asked Maria skeptically.

"It's done." stated the Djinn mournfully, "The donkey will take you where you need to go." He and the lamp vanished in a swirl of black smoke.

That night as Maria lay recovering from her ordeal an Angel of the Lord God appeared to her. Not, it clarified, one of the little pagan gods. The One True Lord God Allmighty. It pronounced the capitals. Matter were further explained to the puzzled Maria who was having some difficulty coming to grips with the notion of a "virgin birth".

Two weeks later Maria arrived in Judea and met a local carpenter who promptly fell madly in love with her. She explained the situation to him and while he was also puzzled he was utterly smitten. They were wed somewhat hastily.

The boy grew up to look like his mother, with fair hair and skin. Unsurprisingly, he looked nothing like his father. Either of them. He was different and he got picked on a lot, both by he local kids and by the Romans. Of course that meant that he ended getting into Trouble.

There was also the problem of the Divine Powers. "Don't walk on water where people will see!" hissed Maria, "Take a boat like everybody else." He was a rebellious boy though, deities typically are, and that led to More Trouble.

In the end he managed to get into Big Trouble. Maria was never certain if it was the ruckus with the Banker's Guild or that he'd proclaimed himself King of Judea but the Romans took exception. There was a trial with a bunch of important priests and a Roman nobleman to preside over the whole show. He'd grown paunchy over the years, his hair was grey and his face was lined but Maria recognized him in an instant.

The verdict had been determined before her son was even arrested. The Roman nobleman sentenced him to die. Badly. That was all part of The Plan though. Not Maria's plan, she wept for her son, but The Plan.

A few days later as Pilate lay drifting off to sleep he felt cold steel at his neck and heard a voice whisper in his ear,

"Hello. My name is Maria Montoya."
"You killed my father."
"Prepare to die!"
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
30-12-2013, 03:14 PM
(24-12-2013 10:21 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  yeah, my brother..he's very credulous when it comes to stuff he heard over the radio or a podcast (loves rush limbaugh
That explains a LOT

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
30-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Paleo, you have a LOT of free time

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor