The Virtual Reality Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2014, 09:15 PM
The Virtual Reality Theory
It's been a while since I've made a post on this Forum, so I thought I'd start with this Virtual Reality Theory.

I think this theory is pretty interesting. It has certainly been one very convincing theory that makes me think that materialism doesn't have a lot of validity.

I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
11-01-2014, 11:13 PM
RE: The Virtual Reality Theory
How does this get around Infinite Regress? If we're a simulation, is the world this simulation is in part of a simulation, as is the world housing that one, ad infinitum?
11-01-2014, 11:15 PM
That was my thought. If it can't be a computer within a computer to infinity, why would that same logic not apply to a mind within a mind and so on...
11-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Now that I got around to finishing it:

"The mind doesn't need matter to exist"

Uhh, yes it does. You need a brain in order to house a mind. The mind dies when the brain dies as well.
11-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Two minutes in and it's painfully bad. Almost as if Ron L. Hubbard wrote and directed The Matrix.
11-01-2014, 11:28 PM
(11-01-2014 11:15 PM)jaxx Wrote:  That was my thought. If it can't be a computer within a computer to infinity, why would that same logic not apply to a mind within a mind and so on...

'You can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down!'
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-01-2014, 11:44 PM
(11-01-2014 11:25 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Now that I got around to finishing it:

"The mind doesn't need matter to exist"

Uhh, yes it does. You need a brain in order to house a mind. The mind dies when the brain dies as well.

You seem to have missed the point of the entire video.
The VR Theory shows that the Universe behaves as a virtual hologram, somewhat like a computer.
Towards the last half of the video, he started showing how this theory shows that mind is required to collapse a wave function in order for particles to exist.
The evidence made it seem like mind doesn't need matter and that in fact matter required a mind in order to exist.

—Jeremy LaBorde
11-01-2014, 11:49 PM
(11-01-2014 11:15 PM)jaxx Wrote:  That was my thought. If it can't be a computer within a computer to infinity, why would that same logic not apply to a mind within a mind and so on...

Occam's Razor eliminates the need for an infinity of minds as well as an infinity of universes/computer simulations inside a mind.
This is not solving the "mind within a mind" problem but instead addressing the infinite regress problem of not having a starting point.

—Jeremy LaBorde
12-01-2014, 12:43 AM
(11-01-2014 11:49 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Occam's Razor eliminates the need for an infinity of minds as well as an infinity of universes/computer simulations inside a mind.

No, for what its worth Occam's Razor eliminates the entire idea of the universe as VR.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2014, 12:50 AM
(12-01-2014 12:43 AM)Chippy Wrote:  No, for what its worth Occam's Razor eliminates the entire idea of the universe as VR.

Can you explain why that is perhaps?

—Jeremy LaBorde