The Voynich Manuscript

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2012, 09:58 AM
The Voynich Manuscript
The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid Voynich, who purchased it in 1912.

Some pages are missing, but the current version comprises about 240 vellum pages, most with illustrations. Much of the manuscript resembles herbal manuscripts of the time period, seeming to present illustrations and information about plants and their possible uses for medical purposes. However, most of the plants do not match known species, and the manuscript's script and language remain unknown and unreadable. Possibly some form of encrypted ciphertext, the Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II. As yet, it has defied all decipherment attempts, becoming a cause célèbre of historical cryptology. The mystery surrounding it has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript a subject of both fanciful theories and novels. None of the many speculative solutions proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.

The Voynich manuscript was donated to Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library in 1969, where it is catalogued under call number MS 408 and called a "Cipher Manuscript".

[sic]

Further information on it can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/digital...ynich.html
http://www.voynich.nu/

The book itself is available for free in several different formats on this website.

This is definetly of the most interesting and fascinating things I've seen in a while. Ohmy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2012, 10:45 AM
RE: The Voynich Manuscript
One thing that has always surprised me is that whenever some old document is found, no one ever seems to consider that it was just some made up shit. People like to just make stuff up. Tolkien made up a whole language just for shits and giggles.

When I was a boy I used to have note book after note book fileld with my own personal brand of gibberish.

Still, this is neat.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2012, 10:50 AM
(19-10-2012 10:45 AM)lucradis Wrote:  One thing that has always surprised me is that whenever some old document is found, no one ever seems to consider that it was just some made up shit. People like to just make stuff up. Tolkien made up a whole language just for shits and giggles.

When I was a boy I used to have note book after note book fileld with my own personal brand of gibberish.

Still, this is neat.
I agree for the most part, though I would say that the language used in this book is far more complex than the language people make up "just for fun".

http://www.voynich.nu/s_analysis.html

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
19-10-2012, 10:55 AM
(19-10-2012 09:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid Voynich, who purchased it in 1912.

Some pages are missing, but the current version comprises about 240 vellum pages, most with illustrations. Much of the manuscript resembles herbal manuscripts of the time period, seeming to present illustrations and information about plants and their possible uses for medical purposes. However, most of the plants do not match known species, and the manuscript's script and language remain unknown and unreadable. Possibly some form of encrypted ciphertext, the Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II. As yet, it has defied all decipherment attempts, becoming a cause célèbre of historical cryptology. The mystery surrounding it has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript a subject of both fanciful theories and novels. None of the many speculative solutions proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.

The Voynich manuscript was donated to Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library in 1969, where it is catalogued under call number MS 408 and called a "Cipher Manuscript".

[sic]

Further information on it can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/digital...ynich.html
http://www.voynich.nu/

The book itself is available for free in several different formats on this website.

This is definetly of the most interesting and fascinating things I've seen in a while. Ohmy

Believe it or not this book came up in casual conversation just last weekend between me and a chaplain. That is right, in casual conversation, between me and a chaplain.

(You grammar Nazis can fuck off that is my style choice Shy )

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-10-2012, 10:59 AM
(19-10-2012 10:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [quote='lucradis' pid='187107' dateline='1350665126']

I agree for the most part, though I would say that the language used in this book is far more complex than the language people make up "just for fun".

I don't know. Have you ever seen the nerds who learn Klingon or Na'vi?
I mean...what kind of demented mind does it take to come up with a language called Na'vi? Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah I've herd of this, they had a thing on History about it ages ago.
The unbreakable "code".

All I think when I think of this is that this guy is one genius medieval super troll.
[Image: work.6578633.1.sticker,375x360.super-troll-man-v1.png]

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
19-10-2012, 08:42 PM
(19-10-2012 10:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 10:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [quote='lucradis' pid='187107' dateline='1350665126']

I mean...what kind of demented mind does it take to come up with a language called Na'vi? Tongue

I've often asked myself the same question. No

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
19-10-2012, 08:49 PM
The Voynich Manuscript
(19-10-2012 08:42 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 10:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't know. Have you ever seen the nerds who learn Klingon or Na'vi?

I've often asked myself the same question. No

Thumbsup
Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-10-2012, 08:52 PM
(19-10-2012 10:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

I see what you did there. tsk tsk Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I like this woman theory http://www.edithsherwood.com/ it has many gaps, but it makes sense, maybe not da vinci himself, but someone similarly influenced, sometime we forget how many people where in those days Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]