The Walking Dead on Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2011, 09:07 AM
The Walking Dead on Faith
Continuing our "...on Faith" series of threads - anybody catch the season 2 premiere of The Walking Dead?

* BIG Episode Spoilers Below *

So in this episode one of the children (the little girl, not the main character's son) gets separated from the group during a zombie attack. So the group is searching for her, and at one point hear church bells ringing. Thinking it's the girl, they head off in search of the source of the ringing.

They find a small church complete with a cemetery, and head inside. They open the doors and find 3 patrons of the church - all zombies, turn toward them (it was a spectacularly creepy scene since both churches and zombies give me the willies). Anyway, they dispatch of the zombies, and as Rick is killing the last one, his eyes fall upon a giant statue of the crucifix at the front of the room. All I could think of was the humorous stuff that describes Christianity as belief in a Jewish zombie, Jesus being the original zombie, so on and so forth.

So then, the mother of the girl ends up giving a heartbreaking, tearful prayer to god that they find her little girl. Then, after splitting the group up, Rick goes back into church and begins talking to the statue/god - says he was never much of a believer, but he could really use some help, please help them, please give him a small sign, etc. Now at this point, I'm thinking, please don't tell me that this show is going to go the "miracle" route - that now that they've repented and turned to god and asked for help that that's when they'll find the girl. Here's a universe in which god (if he exists) has allowed a plague of zombies upon mankind, they're all dealing with death and despair on a minute by minute basis... well you get the idea.

So the last few minutes of the episode, Rick, his son Carl, and Shane are in the woods, still searching, when they come across this beautiful buck. Shane goes to shoot, but Carl is mesmerized and begins slowly walking to it. This moment is so drawn out and peaceful that it appears to be the sign which Rick had just asked for - Carl is smiling and amazed, the deer is remaining still, everyone is smiling. Then BAM a shot rings out from nowhere and Carl is hit in the gut by a bullet. Rick screams in horror as his son goes to the ground. Cut to black.

That was The Walking Dead's answer to prayer, it seems. Vengeful god, indifferent god, or nonexistent one?

*End Spoilers*

I love this show, so happy to have it back on!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2011, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2011 05:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: The Walking Dead on Faith
(17-10-2011 09:07 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  That was The Walking Dead's answer to prayer, it seems. Vengeful god, indifferent god, or nonexistent one?

There's another option, the crotchety old god. Go, I say, go away boy, ya bother me. You want a sign, I'll give you a fucking sign.

(17-10-2011 09:07 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  I love this show, so happy to have it back on!

I'm not sure why I like it so much, it's certainly not for its outdated plot line. Must be the cinematography, special effects, and character development. I think it's mainly the character development. I really like the racist redneck brothers who now see the world as a giant hunting ground. And that one who saved himself last season by cutting off his handcuffed hand and cauterizing his stump on a gas range, yeah we'll be seeing him again. I'm guessin' he's gonna be pissed. Smile

P.S. I'm starting to think there's a shitload of atheists in the entertainment business.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-10-2011, 01:57 AM
(17-10-2011 05:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  P.S. I'm starting to think there's a shitload of atheists in the entertainment business.

Well it's all a bit mixed up isn't it. That "Supernatural" show still pops up on the torrent sites and it's is so lame. I think it's up to the 7th season and I don't know how it manages to get sufficient ratings to justify it.

There are still many shows with supernatural themes around like medium etc.. I suppose things are getting better slowly. Breaking Bad and Dexter are my favorites at the moment.

I'm hoping for a decent Sci-Fi series... Hasn't been much that is good lately.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
18-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I just love zombies, and the special effects and cinematography on this show are top notch. Character development is very good too.

I say, I say son, ya doin it all wrong boy! Smile

Also, as for supernatural shows, they're not all bad. Just starting watching American Horror Story - good stuff. I watched a few episodes of the early seasons of Supernatural and liked it - it's the Hardy Boys with monsters. Not to mention the fun of shows like that is when they dig in and mix mythology - God and the Devil mixed in with Frankenstein and Dracula... you never know when someone watching it might go "oh hey this is fun, but now that I think about it, it's ALL bullshit!" but maybe I'm overly optimistic.

I was relieved to find out that I still loved horror (all of it, supernatural-based or not) once I gave up my superstitious beliefs.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
20-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I *hated* the fact that Rick was praying...then I realized that if this was me, after a lifetime of christian indoctrination, I would probably resort to prayer too. Helplessness can lead someone to do all sorts of things. What I was annoyed the most about is that he didn't get as mad as he should have. The last bit of the prayer was good...but still...you're helpless and angry about it, Rick! Show it!

As for the end of the episode, it looked like it could be a statement of a vengeful god answering the prayer...or the fact that there is no god and that shit happens. The worst shit. Especially when you're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and you're in the middle of a forest. Jumpy people with guns in the woods is not a good thing...

Poor kid. Can't wait until this weekend!!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
20-10-2011, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 07:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-10-2011 01:57 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm hoping for a decent Sci-Fi series... Hasn't been much that is good lately.

I like Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Haven on SyFy. But I am a GirlyMan so your mileage may vary.

21-10-2011, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 05:19 AM by Filox.)
I love the Warehouse 13, now I'm watching Eureka, totally good series. Haven't seen Haven yet.

Concerning Walking Dead, there is no God, his prayer was useless and his kid was hit by a stray bullet, no God intervention there, just bad luck, pure chance, karma, whatever you want to call it. If there was a God in the show, there would be no zombies, what kind of God would do that in the first place? Oh, wait, isn't Jesus one? Damn. OK, a lot of Jesuses are now walking dead...

Smile

About the overall rating of Walking Dead, I'm not that thrilled, they all seem pretty retarded in the show, as if they never saw any zombie-movie. For example, in the first season, when the cop gets stuck in a tank and zombies surround him, he panics and thinks he is gonna die. YOU ARE IN A GOD DAMN TANK, IDIOT!! He didn't even try to figure out if he can shoot, or drive the bloody thing. They are all useless in the show. First of all the zombies are slow, if you have a bike, you can outrun them with no problems at all, I would get me a small 125cc moto-cross and that suit for motorists and a helmet, and there we go, I could drive around the town, safe as a medieval knight (full plate armor) in JC's time. There are so many ways they could have look more intelligent and kill more zombies... I would never leave town, so many unused headshots just waiting there and so many police and army stations around, full of ammo... They have no idea how to survive the zombiclipse, I can't wait for this to happen for real, you just look for FILOX sign in the sky...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-10-2011, 09:55 AM
(21-10-2011 05:09 AM)Filox Wrote:  About the overall rating of Walking Dead, I'm not that thrilled, they all seem pretty retarded in the show, as if they never saw any zombie-movie. For example, in the first season, when the cop gets stuck in a tank and zombies surround him, he panics and thinks he is gonna die. YOU ARE IN A GOD DAMN TANK, IDIOT!! He didn't even try to figure out if he can shoot, or drive the bloody thing. They are all useless in the show. First of all the zombies are slow, if you have a bike, you can outrun them with no problems at all, I would get me a small 125cc moto-cross and that suit for motorists and a helmet, and there we go, I could drive around the town, safe as a medieval knight (full plate armor) in JC's time. There are so many ways they could have look more intelligent and kill more zombies... I would never leave town, so many unused headshots just waiting there and so many police and army stations around, full of ammo... They have no idea how to survive the zombiclipse, I can't wait for this to happen for real, you just look for FILOX sign in the sky...

Smile

Agreed...sort of. As far as the first season goes, the bumbling around was understandable. These characters are regular people who aren't zombie nerds. They probably haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, or seen any zombie movies. I highly doubt that they really understood fully what to do besides run away.

As far as the second season goes...yeah...enough time has passed. They should be more savvy. I was a bit annoyed with the first episode. So many obvious problems.

LOL Have any of you read the comics?

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
05-11-2011, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 10:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
So the lesson I learned from the latest episode is that if you've got a broken ankle and you're down to your last bullet and there are a shitload of zombies chasing you (meaning they're kinda shuffling quickly after you) and there's a nice fat man risking his life to help save your sorry ass, instead of eating your last bullet you shoot the nice fat man in the leg so the zombies will be preoccupied with eating him giving you time get away. Nice. Thanks for that tip. ... Note to self: Don't be the nice fat man when the Zombie Apocalypse comes.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-11-2011, 02:09 AM
@ Zaika

Haven't read the comics, but from what I heard they are great, way better than the series. After reading Transmetropolitan and Berserk, I can not read any other comics, not yet...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson