The War on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 01:49 PM
The War on Christmas
I know, I know...Americans still have to celebrate Thanksgiving (I already had mineTongue)
I am still failing to understand what war was ever declared in the first place that left christmas unable to celebrated.
We have no laws that stop or punish people from celebrating their religious holidays, no rules or crime to go to a place of worship or police called for adorning your home with items that reflect one's worship soooooo what's the problem?
I ask because as of late, I noticed this new movement from fellow Canadians that are starting to post "save christmas" "bring back the christ in christmas" and I'm a little stunned because we never really seen this before and again, never had a problem with this issue either. If you are allowed to celebrate your religion and not prevented in any way, what's the problem?
I also have noticed some ads for a new Kirk Cameron movie that started with an appeasement to women to watch the film, we were labelled "keepers of the home" and boy oh boy, did my blood boil! Geeze, thanks Kirk for letting me have a keepers job and giving me permission to leave the house to watch your movie Censored
Anyone want chime in???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 02:01 PM
RE: The War on Christmas
No, not in Canada!

While I don't disagree there is too much matierialism wrapped up with Christmas. I do become annoyed that Christians seem to claim the month of December as their own.

It's interesting the more militant they become, the more it seems my easy-going Jewish friends are beginning to push back.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-11-2014, 02:30 PM
(19-11-2014 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, not in Canada!

While I don't disagree there is too much matierialism wrapped up with Christmas. I do become annoyed that Christians seem to claim the month of December as their own.

It's interesting the more militant they become, the more it seems my easy-going Jewish friends are beginning to push back.

Unfortunately, yes....CanadaNo
With most christmas traditions being anything but christian, I took pride in the fact that most canadians were aware of that. I also took pride that we canadians truly support differences that make the whole but the lately the change, to me, seems to be creeping behind that fact that christian #'s are going vastly down in comparison to non practising numbers which is on the rise. It seems like the numbers that are left and are the extremist evangelicals.....oh boy!
19-11-2014, 02:36 PM
It's an over exaggeration madness because businesses began celebrating in ways to not exclude others. They sell holiday merchandise opposed to christmas merchandise, and that people began to stop making public buildings or kids in public schools have to do Christmas plays or put up jesus oriented christmas nativity scenes.

They for some reason attribute the phrase Happy Holidays as evil and avoiding Christmas to accept other religions but the phrase was ushered in in the middle of the 20th century to shorten- Merry Christmas and a happy new year which some people used to say. It's a lot of angered revisionist views of how they way should be the best way.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-11-2014, 03:27 PM
They feel threatened by the secularization of the holiday, for most its just a holiday of family and togetherness without all the religious baggage which they are thoroughly welcome to. To me it's all about presentsTongue There is no War on Christmas and no laws preventing the exercise of celebrating it or any holiday. There are tons of shitty reporting, news, misunderstandings, and misinformation going around. Mostly by people with vested interests who are all to eager to call foul.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
19-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Yeah, we've had it here too...

Its the sort of bullshit that Fox News has made up. Over here its the Daily Mail and the tabloids creating this myth that there's a war on Christmas.

Over here it all started when a town in England put up a banner saying Happy Winterfest, or something similar... It was intended to acknowledge the pagan roots of a lot of modern religious festivals.... The conservative media went ape shit saying it was done because non Christians might get all uppity over Christmas, and they blamed foreigners for it.

I couldn't give a shit either way... I'm starting to hate Christmas anyway.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
19-11-2014, 11:43 PM
At this point Christmas is already so different from what it was originally meant to be anyways, with Santa Claus and the flying raindeers and whatnot. I actually like it better this way.
20-11-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm not a big fan of the holiday.
It is my son's birthday though, so I'm more into it for that reason than christmas.
Fun fact: His mother's name is Mary too. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Sv: RE: The War on Christmas
(20-11-2014 12:44 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of the holiday.
It is my son's birthday though, so I'm more into it for that reason than christmas.
Fun fact: His mother's name is Mary too. Laugh out load

Mary Christmas?
[+] 1 user Likes hakko504's post
20-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I like Christmas. The food especially. The coming together of family.

But also, I own a computer company and sales go through the roof! Big Grin

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post