The War on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 09:02 AM
RE: The War on Christmas
(20-11-2014 12:44 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of the holiday.
It is my son's birthday though, so I'm more into it for that reason than christmas.
Fun fact: His mother's name is Mary too. Laugh out load

Gasp is your son's name...Jesus!? Gasp

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Here's my take on the "war" on Christmas.

Once upon a time in the US white Christians were a majority and used that status to piss on every group that wasn't white Christians. And, really male white Christians. The groups they abused were relegated to the status of second class citizens and had to fight long and hard to win things like the right to vote, the right to have a job despite being black, or Jewish, or Catholic. And, while the fights for things that really mattered were going on, the white male Christians used their majority status to pass laws that honored their religious holidays and their religious symbols. And, no one really bitched about it because it was low on the list of battles to wage.

The important battles have been won, at least on paper. Blacks would certainly argue that they are often treated as second class citizens, and gays are still fighting for their equal rights (and, happily, winning). But, most of the fights have been won and now the rest of us, who are an ever shrinking minority, can get back to the stuff we had no time for previously. And, on that list is the idea that Christian holidays are worthy of some special government attendion and status.

The "war" is on people who shat on everyone else for 200 years. The rest of us have had enough. We're not second class Americans anymore and we are not sitting quietly while you raise your status over ours.

And, the Christians don't like it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
20-11-2014, 09:19 PM
[Image: 6d831307e2639612d5fcf04de38bc3d2.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
20-11-2014, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2014 12:04 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I always get a kick out of this perceived war on Christmas, which itself consists mostly of celebratory rituals borrowed from earlier pre-Christian holidays anyway; a fact totally unbeknownst to most Christians. If you want to claim your traditions are under attack - learn where they came from in the first place. If there's a war here surely Christians fired the first shots by stealing the "christmas" tree, mistletoe, yule log, etc.

That said I'm happy to get the time off of work to spend with my family.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post