The War on Drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: The War on Drugs
(12-07-2014 05:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 02:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This is utter bullshit on so many levels that I have pondered for hours how to even respond.

Rich kids with a swell life aren't susceptible to addiction?

The abuse from my parents affected my siblings and me but in very different ways - why didn't our brain chemistry react in an identical way?

And we were upper class abused kids - where do we fall in your theory?

How much abuse and by whom and for how long?

Nevermind - it's just bullshit. Total and complete bullshit.
Ah, so you think I said "poor kids = always abuse, rich kids = always healthy and happy"? Is that what you think I wrote? Facepalm

These are questions for yourself and for a therapist. Nevertheless, you react in a very defensive way.
I can only speak from my own experience. The differences are obvious and the similarities can only be seen with enormous amount of self-knowledge and good understanding of psychology.
Me and my brothers are very different. Yet today I can see, our dysfunctional behavior, outwardly different, is driven by the same motivations. I have better self control, more conscience, intellectual tendencies, less physical strength, more introversion and so on than my older brother, but I can be a low-self-esteem irritating coercive asshole just like him, just like our mother, just like our grandmothers, and probably all our mother ancestors back to the bronze age.

If you think differences help you, you can find as many differences as you want. I personally always found similarities vastly more useful.

Where, exactly, did you glean the idea that I need therapy?

And I am not defensive. You sweeping generalization is just that. "Drugs are only highly addictive...blah, blah, blah. That's where the bullshit lies.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-07-2014, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 06:14 PM by Luminon.)
(12-07-2014 05:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Where, exactly, did you glean the idea that I need therapy?

And I am not defensive. You sweeping generalization is just that. "Drugs are only highly addictive...blah, blah, blah. That's where the bullshit lies.
In your words right now. Why? Because I did not say or mean that you need a therapist. I said "These are questions for yourself and for a therapist."

Which meant that I am not competent to answer these questions, only you and an expert. It is your choice what to do. In my experienced amateur opinion, if you keep jumping to conclusions and projecting like that, there is a substantial trauma as a cause in you. I am not especially rude, I don't call people names and so on. But I know where are our painful issues - and when someone from the outside steps on them, it feels like he's attacking us. He doesn't - the wound was already there. As long as we keep projecting the pain on other people, we don't own it and can't heal it.

Btw, when we talk about social world, we talk in broad generalization, because the social world is always statistical in nature. We all know a tall Chinese guy or a Woman Who Is Not Like That. Yet that does not forbid us from talking about China or women.
What you do is nitpicking and it is a defensive reaction and I know that, so you can stop and maybe do something about it. You don't have to, it can get very difficult and expensive, but you don't seem happy and self-confident to me and you might want to change that.
12-07-2014, 06:09 PM
(12-07-2014 06:01 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Where, exactly, did you glean the idea that I need therapy?

In your words right now. Why? Because I did not say or mean that you need a therapist. I said "These are questions for yourself and for a therapist."

Which meant that I am not competent to answer these questions, only you and an expert. It is your choice what to do. In my experienced amateur opinion, if you keep jumping to conclusions and projecting like that, there is a substantial trauma as a cause in you.

Btw, when we talk about social world, we talk in broad generalization, because the social world is always statistical in nature. We all know a tall Chinese guy or a Woman Who Is Not Like That. Yet that does not forbid us from talking about China or women.
What you do is nitpicking and it is a defensive reaction and I know that, so you can stop and maybe do something about it. You don't have to, it can get very difficult and expensive, but you don't seem happy and self-confident to me and you might want to change that.

Fuck you, you pompous ass.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-07-2014, 06:44 PM
(12-07-2014 06:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Fuck you, you pompous ass.
I'm a little sad, but we're free. You can reject people, but you can never change them through insulting and shaming. And you know that - so I take it's not something wrong with me, or you'd do whatever people do with people who actually need help.

Strangers be damned, but there are friends, children and bosses in our lives and it is wrong to tell them to fuck off and give them a negative rep to blame them when we feel upset or anxious. I wish my future partner and friends were on board with that. I wish they were honest with me and honesty means facts and details, not insults. Friendship and caring is about getting to know us well enough to tell us the painful facts in a non-abusive way. People who don't take care, aren't friends.
12-07-2014, 08:12 PM
can we not go at each others throats here...... pretty please
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 09:59 PM by Nurse.)
Abuse (emotional/physical/sexual/financial) occurs in EVERY socioeconomic class. It occurring in only lower/middle class is a common misconception. Just because some kid is poor does not mean they get beat by their parents, and just because a woman is wealthy does not mean she doesn't get beat by a dickwad husband that controls the finances. And it doesnt have to involve drugs or alcohol. This is demonstrated by TONS of studies, and I've witnessed it in the ED. Trying to ESCAPE the abuse is the number one cause of homelessness for women and children in 57% of US cities. http://www.clicktoempower.org/domestic-violence-facts

Most of the women that refused to go to shelters would tell me they had nowhere to go afterwards, their abuser already knew where the shelters were anyway, and they preferred the beatings to being homeless. The whole "but he loves me, he didn't mean it" bullshit is something I never heard once from a patient, although I did hear it from my grandmother. Maybe a handful of my patients were drug addicts, but most were NOT.

Luminon, I encourage you to go back and read your posts and think about WHY someone would call you a pompous ass. This is your first step towards correcting your anal glaucoma. "So I take its not something wrong with me". Please refer to the definition of narcissism.
Of course people are going to get riled up over fallacious statements about abuse, because it is very real, very traumatic, very personal. And attempting to belittle a victim about their response to your misinformation about abuse is a dick move on YOUR part. Look up empathy and tips on therapeutic communication while you're at it. You personally know a victim, that's statistics.

I'll return to the topic, war on drugs, in my next post. It just really rubbed me the wrong way seeing such nonsense being perpetuated as it does nothing to help victims. Go educate yourself, there is a wealth of information out there. While I find the idea of a moral war an oxymoron, if ever there were a cause, ABUSE should be the number 1 enemy of the state.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
12-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty liberal with my viewpoints on drugs. All drugs (yes meth too) should be legal. Antibiotics, insulin, and IV meds are about the only drugs that should require a prescription. If Joe blow wants xanax, he should be able to go purchase it at the pharmacy without a prescription instead of doctor shopping and breaking into people's cars and homes to find pills and items to pawn for pills bought on the black market. If Joe's psychiatrist wants to give him a prescription for xanax, then insurance should pick up the tab.

We should also be encouraging pharmaceutical companies to make safe drugs that are purely recreational.

The tax dollars we pour into the court system, DEA, prisons, etc could be used to revitalize our mental health/drug rehabilitation/child welfare resources. My unsubstantiated thoughts on why we haven't ended prohibition is because so many government workers' jobs depend on it and it's making some people filthy rich.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
13-07-2014, 12:03 AM
"what started out as a 350million dollar a year waste of our money has now become a 20billion dollar a year waste of our money" - Penn Jillete

all that billions could go into creating new safer drugs for people to get stoned without having any adverse affects, hire geneticists to alter the gene of plants or something to make it safe

create laws regarding how much a person can buy or posses at any given time, control dosage, prisons won't be overflowing with non-violent "criminals" meaning more tax money can be used for more productive purposes, the cops can go after real criminal, and the govt gets more tax money from the sale of legalized drugs, the black market profits get shreaded..... its a win win

and the 7 people receiving WEED legally from the govt is proof that marijuana has medicinal uses!!! but the govt say its bad for you can, we get a better description of hypocrisy than this ?
13-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Dullinon evanescent. Dodgy

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
13-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Quote:Interestingly, drugs are only highly addictive to people who's brain chemistry was damaged by abusive childhood, such as is common in lower (and middle) class families.

wait.. what!? ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED!?

I didn't think it was possible, I knew you were an idiot but I didn't think you were that bad but you've proven me wrong and actually just gone full retard.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post