The War on Drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 05:16 AM by Luminon.)
RE: The War on Drugs
(12-07-2014 09:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Luminon, I encourage you to go back and read your posts and think about WHY someone would call you a pompous ass. This is your first step towards correcting your anal glaucoma. "So I take its not something wrong with me". Please refer to the definition of narcissism.
Of course people are going to get riled up over fallacious statements about abuse, because it is very real, very traumatic, very personal. And attempting to belittle a victim about their response to your misinformation about abuse is a dick move on YOUR part. Look up empathy and tips on therapeutic communication while you're at it. You personally know a victim, that's statistics.
I'll look that up, as a matter of course. Thanks for the tip. However, reading my posts again won't help, I need a feedback from people who will show their vulnerability to relate their genuine experience of me as they feel it. If I then attack and blame them, then I am truly an asshole, because that is what everyone did to us. People are like zombies. We show weakness, they attack. We show strength, they attack. When we self-erase or self-attack, that is the only time they don't attack. Well, I'm getting tired of walking like a zombie. I like pompous people, they're funny and their pomposity doesn't automatically belittle me. I could change my mind if someone annoys me, but more often than not it's my problem, not theirs. I don't want people to have to ask ME for permission to be as they are - and vice versa. They have to earn credentials for what they do, but being can not be earned, we already have a right for that.

Belittle a victim? I'm a victim too and I know victims. I have posted a correct but incomplete information. If people try to blame me for not mentioning every class, every age, every gender and every drug, they totally can, there's no way to prevent them and keep my posts readable. If people won't read the links I post next to that (expecting them to search the web would be too much), there's no helping them.

The truth is, I've been belittling myself all my life and now I'm trying to stop the extreme self-censorship. If people shame me both for knowing and not knowing, then something is wrong with them. Whatever is wrong with me, they won't help me with that.
When I am confident, I'll act confident. When I'm not confident, I won't. I see that as having empathy and relationship with myself and essential beginning to have relationship with anyone else. The moment I get a reasonable, cool response, such as yours, (or better yet, an open, courageously vulnerable response) I'll know that person is probably not an emotional wreck and can be trusted not to project her own problems on me. By then I probably won't have any positive rep left, but that's a small price to pay for true relationships.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2014, 10:06 AM
All drugs should be legal. ALL drugs.
Not because the government can tax it.
Not because we spend too much money on fighting "the drug problem."
Not because it makes criminals rich.
Not because illegalization actually causes more crime.
Not because the jailhouses are filled with people that aren't in my opinion criminals.
It would be nice to eliminate all these but the reason drugs should be legal is because nobody should have the right to tell me what I can and can't do with my own body.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
13-07-2014, 11:15 PM
(13-07-2014 10:06 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  All drugs should be legal. ALL drugs.
Not because the jailhouses are filled with people that aren't in my opinion criminals.
It would be nice to eliminate all these but the reason drugs should be legal is because nobody should have the right to tell me what I can and can't do with my own body.

I thought this way too for some time but I've changed my mind on the issue.
I agree weed and other "soft" drugs should be legal. You can regulate it and tax it etc.. it's just better legal. BUT hard drugs, nope, they should remain illegal.

Why? Well it's a "I know a guy who.." situation. My cousin was/is a meth addict. he got busted for grand theft auto. He was high on P (meth) at the time. He got sentenced to two years jail and has been in for several months. Jail has gotten him off the P due to support inside and a lack of availability. It's the best thing to ever happen to him and he wouldn't have been able to get off it on his own, he needed to basically be forced to give it up.

Hard drugs like meth ruin lives with their ability to be highly addictive and destructive. The simple truth is that society isn't perfect. There's still a lack of education and peer pressure. Sure, it's easy to say "don't give to peer pressure" and that might work for you but it doesn't work for everyone.

I agree the government should stay out of our lives, they should just collect tax and pay for police and shit and that's it BUT I truly believe that it is for the benefit of everybody that certain hard drugs remain illegal.

And don't give me this "the criminals sell them to fund their crime" nonsense because if it's not drugs it's extortion or thefts or something else.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-07-2014, 04:48 AM
(13-07-2014 11:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I thought this way too for some time but I've changed my mind on the issue.
I agree weed and other "soft" drugs should be legal. You can regulate it and tax it etc.. it's just better legal. BUT hard drugs, nope, they should remain illegal.

Why? Well it's a "I know a guy who.." situation. My cousin was/is a meth addict. he got busted for grand theft auto. He was high on P (meth) at the time. He got sentenced to two years jail and has been in for several months. Jail has gotten him off the P due to support inside and a lack of availability. It's the best thing to ever happen to him and he wouldn't have been able to get off it on his own, he needed to basically be forced to give it up.

Hard drugs like meth ruin lives with their ability to be highly addictive and destructive. The simple truth is that society isn't perfect. There's still a lack of education and peer pressure. Sure, it's easy to say "don't give to peer pressure" and that might work for you but it doesn't work for everyone.

I agree the government should stay out of our lives, they should just collect tax and pay for police and shit and that's it BUT I truly believe that it is for the benefit of everybody that certain hard drugs remain illegal.
Well, there's this issue, if something is written on paper that it's illegal, it disappears off the face of Earth, like alcohol thanks to prohibition.

I don't like drugs. I am a drug myself and mixing it is not healthy. But did it ever occur to you that humanity may not have the power to violently banish all bad stuff from Earth? Power that is large enough to exorcise drugs out of the society is strong enough to take whatever it wants, imprison anyone it wants and let the drug trade flourish anyway.

Power has its deceptive belief about it. We write stuff on paper, we throw money at a bunch of armed guys and ta-dah! Magic! It happens.
Did it ever occur to you, that there are empirical reasons why things happen and that paying armed guys to force people not to take drugs might not actually work? For example, economical reasons.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist...explains-8

Btw, did your cousin by any chance was spanked as a child or came from a single parent household or grew up without a father? Did he go to a public school with fatherless kids? These are terrible risk factors.
14-07-2014, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2014 08:26 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(13-07-2014 11:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-07-2014 10:06 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  All drugs should be legal. ALL drugs.

I thought this way too for some time but I've changed my mind on the issue.

And don't give me this "the criminals sell them to fund their crime" nonsense because if it's not drugs it's extortion or thefts or something else.

It's good to know that your cousin has gotten off that shit. It really is but the fact that he was on it in the first place was his problem. I'd say that those that are going to do hard drugs are going to do them anyway. Whether it's legal or not. You cousin seems to be an example of this.
14-07-2014, 10:53 AM
(14-07-2014 08:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  It's good to know that your cousin has gotten off that shit. It really is but the fact that he was on it in the first place was his problem. I'd say that those that are going to do hard drugs are going to do them anyway. Whether it's legal or not. Your cousin seems to be an example of this.

This.

I've met a lot of people who do hard drugs and the fact that they're illegal doesn't seem to bother them at all. I also have never met a single person who made the choice not to do drugs just because they're illegal.

Likewise, the fact that drugs are illegal but at the same time one can legally buy plants that cause hallucinations and can very easily kill you is beyond me.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
14-07-2014, 04:52 PM
(14-07-2014 08:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(13-07-2014 11:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I thought this way too for some time but I've changed my mind on the issue.

It's good to know that your cousin has gotten off that shit. It really is but the fact that he was on it in the first place was his problem. I'd say that those that are going to do hard drugs are going to do them anyway. Whether it's legal or not. You cousin seems to be an example of this.

I agree that if people wanna do them bad enough, they're gonna do them.
The point wasn't that he did them, the point was that he was able to get off them because they were illegal. He was pretty much forced to get off meth.

Yes, if it was legal charities would pick up the rehabilitation slack BUT you can't force people into these things like you can with jail (here anyway). And being forced to quit is often what people seriously addicted to hard drugs need.

A compromise I would be happy with I guess would to have rehabilitation places that the state could force people into. Similar to jail but aimed at drug addiction. Keep hard drugs illegal purhaps with the chance to wipe it from your record if you pass the rehabilitation process. It would free up jails for actual criminals and benefit those that need it more than jail.

15-07-2014, 08:43 AM
(14-07-2014 04:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 08:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  It's good to know that your cousin has gotten off that shit. It really is but the fact that he was on it in the first place was his problem. I'd say that those that are going to do hard drugs are going to do them anyway. Whether it's legal or not. You cousin seems to be an example of this.

I agree that if people wanna do them bad enough, they're gonna do them.
The point wasn't that he did them, the point was that he was able to get off them because they were illegal. He was pretty much forced to get off meth.

Yes, if it was legal charities would pick up the rehabilitation slack BUT you can't force people into these things like you can with jail (here anyway). And being forced to quit is often what people seriously addicted to hard drugs need.

A compromise I would be happy with I guess would to have rehabilitation places that the state could force people into. Similar to jail but aimed at drug addiction. Keep hard drugs illegal purhaps with the chance to wipe it from your record if you pass the rehabilitation process. It would free up jails for actual criminals and benefit those that need it more than jail.

Liberty depends on personal responsibility.
When I was a child my parents were responsible for me. Now that I'm an adult I'm responsible for myself. I don't need nor want Big Brother to take care of me.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
15-07-2014, 05:10 PM
(15-07-2014 08:43 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 04:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I agree that if people wanna do them bad enough, they're gonna do them.

Liberty depends on personal responsibility.
When I was a child my parents were responsible for me. Now that I'm an adult I'm responsible for myself. I don't need nor want Big Brother to take care of me.

Yea and the vast majority of people don't need him too.
But this is the real world and the real world shows that some people do require big brother to take care of them for whatever reason.

The law regarding hard drugs effects those that are effected by hard drug consumption. I don't imagine you'd start doing meth if it was legal, so what's the issue?

15-07-2014, 05:40 PM
(15-07-2014 05:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:43 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Liberty depends on personal responsibility.

Yea and the vast majority of people don't need him too.
But this is the real world and the real world shows that some people do require big brother to take care of them for whatever reason.

The law regarding hard drugs effects those that are effected by hard drug consumption. I don't imagine you'd start doing meth if it was legal, so what's the issue?

So then you want to ban alcohol? That is far more widespread and destructive than any "hard drug".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense