The Water Cycle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 10:58 AM
The Water Cycle
One of my kids is studying the water cycle in science class and it got me thinking about the Noah's ark tale. Believers in that story tend to believe that the earth was completely submerged in water and then the water evaporated revealing the continents. But the more I think about it, is that even possible?

Water on earth is heated causing it to turn to water vapor and rise up in the atmosphere. Eventually it reaches a cooler part of the atmosphere which turns it back to water. It mixes with particles there and forms clouds. Then it eventually falls back to earth. So where is the water loss that would account for the exposure of the continents in the Noah's ark tale? Consider

I think believers are fooled by small bodies of water that evaporate and seem to disappear. But, in reality, I think that water is simply redistributed to a different part of earth through the water cycle. Does anyone know if it's possible for some water to exit the atmosphere completely or to otherwise vanish?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: The Water Cycle
(09-04-2014 10:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  One of my kids is studying the water cycle in science class and it got me thinking about the Noah's ark tale. Believers in that story tend to believe that the earth was completely submerged in water and then the water evaporated revealing the continents. But the more I think about it, is that even possible?

Water on earth is heated causing it to turn to water vapor and rise up in the atmosphere. Eventually it reaches a cooler part of the atmosphere which turns it back to water. It mixes with particles there and forms clouds. Then it eventually falls back to earth. So where is the water loss that would account for the exposure of the continents in the Noah's ark tale? Consider

I think believers are fooled by small bodies of water that evaporate and seem to disappear. But, in reality, I think that water is simply redistributed to a different part of earth through the water cycle. Does anyone know if it's possible for some water to exit the atmosphere completely or to otherwise vanish?

What I remember from science and geography class is that no it wont disappear. And for the amount of water needed to cover the highest mountain tops you'd need about 10x the total water on earth currently.

All the various apologetics proposed to explain this away are so scientifically wrong it hurts to think about it.

Have a look here for a detailed breakdown and thorough debunking of them all.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
09-04-2014, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 12:15 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
Can some water exit the atmosphere? Sure. Especially if the earth's magnetic field disappeared. However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.

What really happened is this: The total of amount of water stayed the same but the earth itself expanded.

video's posted for entertainment purposes only....please don't take seriously
09-04-2014, 12:12 PM
(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Can some water exit the atmosphere? Sure. Especially if the earth's magnetic field disappeared.

However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.
cite your peer reviewed paper on that please

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM
(09-04-2014 12:12 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Can some water exit the atmosphere? Sure. Especially if the earth's magnetic field disappeared.

However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.
cite your peer reviewed paper on that please

Google "ion escape" if you want to learn about how gases in the atmosphere can be stripped from a planet.
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM
(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.

ok. The total ammaunt of water that leaves the atmosphere is 3 kg per sec. The estimated amount of water needed for a flood to top the largest mountain is estimated at 10 times the amount of today(wich is 1.4*10^21).
So in order for all this water to escape,
it would need
(1.4*10^22)/(3*3600*24*365)=147.900.000.000.000 years to do so.

Milions of years *snort* more like 1.479*10^14 years,and that just happens to be older than the earth

09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
(09-04-2014 12:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 12:12 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  cite your peer reviewed paper on that please

Google "ion escape" if you want to learn about how gases in the atmosphere can be stripped from a planet.

i know that gasses escape the earth. First,water does not ionize in the water cycle. Second,i am asking you to cite your source that if the magnetic field was stripped away,it would increase the rate of atposheric escape

09-04-2014, 12:44 PM
(09-04-2014 12:30 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.

ok. The total ammaunt of water that leaves the atmosphere is 3 kg per sec. The estimated amount of water needed for a flood to top the largest mountain is estimated at 10 times the amount of today(wich is 1.4*10^21).
So in order for all this water to escape,
it would need
(1.4*10^22)/(3*3600*24*365)=147.900.000.000.000 years to do so.

Milions of years *snort* more like 1.479*10^14 years,and that just happens to be older than the earth

Like you, I don't cite scientific papers in my posts.
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
(09-04-2014 11:56 AM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 10:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  One of my kids is studying the water cycle in science class and it got me thinking about the Noah's ark tale. Believers in that story tend to believe that the earth was completely submerged in water and then the water evaporated revealing the continents. But the more I think about it, is that even possible?

What I remember from science and geography class is that no it wont disappear. And for the amount of water needed to cover the highest mountain tops you'd need about 10x the total water on earth currently.

All the various apologetics proposed to explain this away are so scientifically wrong it hurts to think about it.

Have a look here for a detailed breakdown and thorough debunking of them all.
Thanks for the link. A lot of that I have heard before, but not all of it. That's a great resource.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-04-2014, 01:31 PM
(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Can some water exit the atmosphere? Sure. Especially if the earth's magnetic field disappeared. However it would take millions of years for large quantities of it to disappear.
Well, I meant is it possible with conditions that do exist or have actually existed. The magnetic field hasn't disappeared.

(09-04-2014 12:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  video's posted for entertainment purposes only....please don't take seriously
Ok then I won't. I'll also have to watch them later. If they're not entertaining though, I won't be pleased. Wink