The Wave (also a novel). As atheists, you'd really appreciate this movie.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 01:56 AM
The Wave (also a novel). As atheists, you'd really appreciate this movie.
So I had a thought yesterday about an old film we saw in my Year9 social studies class called "The wave". So I looked it up (1981 TV movie), but luckily there was a 2008 german remake.
So I downloaded it, the ending was a weeeeee bit different but the point was all the same.

It's about how groups of people (in this case a senior high school class) are manipulated and things spiral out of control and get large quick etc..

It's suppose to be about the Nazi's (the lesson being that it could happen again, even today), but I think it plays perfectly if you replace Nazi's for *insert your religion of choice here* and I think it's a good indication of how religion started and how cults start up today.

It's a truly powerful movie, and if you're not gonna be a little bitch about having to read subtitles then I highly suggest people on this forum rent it and watch it (even the 1981 is good, and in english) and if not perhaps get the novel out from the library.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-09-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: The Wave (also a novel). As atheists, you'd really appreciate this movie.
OH! that's one of the best movies I ever seen, true, totally recommendable Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
16-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I'd heard about that film years ago and never got around to watching it. I'll have to search for it in dubious ways.
Sadly, we only have one movie rental place in this flea-bitten town and "Family Video" is a Christee corporation and just "won't provide some films to the viewing public". Fuckers. I may have to resort to criminal collusion. See what Christianity does for people? Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-09-2012, 12:10 AM
(16-09-2012 11:06 PM)kim Wrote:  I'd heard about that film years ago and never got around to watching it. I'll have to search for it in dubious ways.
Sadly, we only have one movie rental place in this flea-bitten town and "Family Video" is a Christee corporation and just "won't provide some films to the viewing public". Fuckers. I may have to resort to criminal collusion. See what Christianity does for people? Dodgy

thepiratebay

17-09-2012, 02:33 AM
True, really good film. Luckily I was in Germany in 2008 when it came out, so had no trouble finding it. But I do remember that the ending annoyed me. I'm not sure why. I will have to watch it again to see.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
17-09-2012, 06:24 PM
(17-09-2012 02:33 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  True, really good film. Luckily I was in Germany in 2008 when it came out, so had no trouble finding it. But I do remember that the ending annoyed me. I'm not sure why. I will have to watch it again to see.

the kid shots himself and for whatever reason the teacher gets arrested???

18-09-2012, 08:23 AM
(17-09-2012 06:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-09-2012 02:33 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  True, really good film. Luckily I was in Germany in 2008 when it came out, so had no trouble finding it. But I do remember that the ending annoyed me. I'm not sure why. I will have to watch it again to see.

the kid shots himself and for whatever reason the teacher gets arrested???

Yeah that might've been it. It irritated me. Not in a bad way, I think. But the unfairness got to me.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor