The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 07:02 PM
The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread
Maybe there's interest in this here, maybe not. But it's worth a try.

Here's a place where TTA-ers can talk about their relationship with heavy things made of iron. Some topics for discussion that spring to mind are:

What kind of lifting are you into? Olympic? Powerlifting? Bodybuilding? General muscle toning?

How much do you lift in particular exercises? (For example, "I currently squat with 185 pounds on my shoulders, 3 sets of 10 reps.")

What are your goals, and how near are you to reaching them?

Do you belong to a gym or do you lift at home?

What's your lifting routine like? Do you do the same thing each workout, or do you split your routine? If the latter, how?

What exercises have worked really well for you? What are your faves? Which ones do not seem to work for you? Which do you detest the most?

What, if anything, do you do for cardio? How do you balance lifting and cardio?

What kind of diet do you follow?

Do you take supplements? If so, which ones have you found effective? Which have you tried that have not worked for you? (My personal preference would be to confine this discussion to legal substances only.)

I'll start:

What's the general consensus on creatine for increasing size, strength, and stamina? I'm currently taking GNC Amplified Creatine 189. It's in tablet form, not a powder: 5g of creatine in 2 tablets. I seem to be making pretty good progress, but I haven't done any A/B tests on myself (two weeks on, say, followed by two weeks off to see if there's any difference). Also, does anyone have an idea of whether you're supposed to take creatine only on the days you lift, or seven days a week, regardless of whether you lift that day or not?

Oh, and here's a little iron-game humor:

[Image: Cartoon20Birth20o20Trainer202_zps6391f0ba.jpg]

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
12-04-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread
I do powerlifts with supporting 2ndary stuff ie "power bodybuilding" as Mike Ohearn calls it

tonight was back day so Deadlifts 3 set of 5,1st set @350, last 2 @315. Then either rows or pullups, and some kind of curl.

I would love to learn proper Oly stuff. I do cardio at school and I MTB.

My goals right now is since being back in the gym since Dec to become as strong as possible, and I dont really care if I'm getting huge or not. I'm going into LE and want to be quick and super strong to start some kind of H2H and mixed weapon training.

I'm with my wife at her employee gym, its not bad, hopefully I'll be back at Golds when I get hired.

I take ON's 100% whey and their micronized creaotine, which is a monohydrate and flavorless. The only other supps I've tried was Celltech, but it really worked fast, but that was 5 years ago. Im gonna try it again soon.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/03/...-the-soul/
[+] 2 users Like TheBlackKnight's post
13-04-2013, 12:16 PM
(12-04-2013 09:31 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I do powerlifts with supporting 2ndary stuff ie "power bodybuilding" as Mike Ohearn calls it

tonight was back day so Deadlifts 3 set of 5,1st set @350, last 2 @315. Then either rows or pullups, and some kind of curl.

I would love to learn proper Oly stuff. I do cardio at school and I MTB.

My goals right now is since being back in the gym since Dec to become as strong as possible, and I dont really care if I'm getting huge or not. I'm going into LE and want to be quick and super strong to start some kind of H2H and mixed weapon training.

I'm with my wife at her employee gym, its not bad, hopefully I'll be back at Golds when I get hired.

I take ON's 100% whey and their micronized creaotine, which is a monohydrate and flavorless. The only other supps I've tried was Celltech, but it really worked fast, but that was 5 years ago. Im gonna try it again soon.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/03/...-the-soul/

Deadlifts with 350 is impressive. That's the one major exercise I've never done. I've always had problems with my lower back and have been afraid that deadlifts (autocorrect keeps wanting to change that to "deadliest") could screw things up further.

[rant] Just tell me you're not one of the guys who finish up and walk away, leaving the bar on the floor loaded with six 45-lb. plates and more, for the next guy who wants to use the station to break down. That's the thing I hate about my gym (a Gold's): the managers have let a culture develop where no one reracks weights or puts anything away. By late afternoon chaos reigns. You find one dumbbell you want and have to go searching the gym for its mate. You can trip over the dumbbells and plates and fixed bars strewn all over the floor. Totally sucks. And the funny thing is, at another Gold's I sometimes go to, in another part of town, if you fail to put something away after you use it, five members will get on your case. I've spoken to the management at my usual place and they pay lip service to my complaints, but nothing changes. But the gym is convenient, well-equipped, and cheap, so I put up with the mess. [/rant]

Never heard of Mike Ohearn, but I googled him. Looks like he knows his stuff. Do you think he's really natural, though?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
13-04-2013, 02:40 PM
(13-04-2013 12:16 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Deadlifts with 350 is impressive. That's the one major exercise I've never done. I've always had problems with my lower back and have been afraid that deadlifts (autocorrect keeps wanting to change that to "deadliest") could screw things up further.
Use a trap bar for deadlifts, it doesn't force my spine into an unnatural position. Same reason I switched from squats to goblet squats holding bigass dumbbells.

(13-04-2013 12:16 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Just tell me you're not one of the guys who finish up and walk away, leaving the bar on the floor loaded with six 45-lb. plates and more, for the next guy who wants to use the station to break down.
"You set it up, you break it down." should be made explicit in the Gym's policy.

(12-04-2013 07:02 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Do you take supplements? If so, which ones have you found effective?
Testosterone. The effects of over-the-counter supplements like creatine and isolated amino acids and proteins and shit is in the noise compared to testosterone. Protein's important, how I get it, not so much. And testosterone ain't illegal, 'cause I got a script and shit. Tongue

You really should try deadlifts with a trap bar, cufflink, some people were just born to lift bigass rocks off the motherfucking ground. Eat this shit gravity. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-04-2013, 02:50 PM
(13-04-2013 02:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 12:16 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Deadlifts with 350 is impressive. That's the one major exercise I've never done. I've always had problems with my lower back and have been afraid that deadlifts (autocorrect keeps wanting to change that to "deadliest") could screw things up further.
Use a trap bar for deadlifts, it doesn't force my spine into an unnatural position. Same reason I switched from squats to goblet squats holding bigass dumbbells.

(13-04-2013 12:16 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Just tell me you're not one of the guys who finish up and walk away, leaving the bar on the floor loaded with six 45-lb. plates and more, for the next guy who wants to use the station to break down.
"You set it up, you break it down." should be made explicit in the Gym's policy.

(12-04-2013 07:02 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Do you take supplements? If so, which ones have you found effective?
Testosterone. The effects of over-the-counter supplements like creatine and isolated amino acids and proteins and shit is in the noise compared to testosterone. Protein's important, how I get it, not so much. And testosterone ain't illegal, 'cause I got a script and shit. Tongue

You really should try deadlifts with a trap bar, cufflink, some people were just born to lift bigass rocks off the motherfucking ground. Eat this shit gravity. Big Grin

Hmmm... first guy in your lineup of videos had blood coming out of him. That can't be good. Confused Eat shit, circulatory system. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
13-04-2013, 05:07 PM
What kind of lifting are you into? Olympic? Powerlifting? Bodybuilding? General muscle toning?

I suppose right between bodybuilding and general toning. I don't want to be Arnold, but I don't want to be the average "toned surfer dude", either. There needs to be thickness without becoming a 6-foot-tall anthropomorphic poop in appearance.

How much do you lift in particular exercises?

Honestly, I'll have to get back to you on that. lol. A few years ago, I became so burned out with weight lifting and I realized it was because it was just such a chore. I had a notebook with my entire workout planned out in detail and I sat and crunched numbers before I lifted and it just wasn't any fun anymore. So one day I decided I was gonna scrap the plan and just go for it. On that day, the gym became a playground, rather than a job, and I haven't kept track of anything since. Not my numbers; not my plan for the day; nothing. The only agenda in mind when I walk into the gym is "I'm gonna do chest today" or "I'm gonna do legs today". Anything that happens after that is up to god. (Figuratively speaking, obviously)

What I've found with that type of routine, though, is that not only is my motivation at its peak, but if, after a few months, I decide to look over my routine just out of curiosity; I find that I've surpassed whatever I had been doing in the months prior. So it's helped me to realize that I can make big leaps (something I wouldn't really notice if I kept a strict eye on it day-by-day), which again, helps with motivation.

What are your goals, and how near are you to reaching them?

I've reached them. Now I teach others how to reach theirs.

Do you belong to a gym or do you lift at home?

Both. I work at a gym, so that affords me lots of workout time. But then, there are days when I don't exactly feel like going all the way out there just to do some neck-ups or even a full-blown set of arms. So I've got equipment at home, too. It's very basic, of course: dumbbells, barbells and a bunch of plates.

I get creative though, too. I've got a big truck tire and a sledge hammer that I use every now and then. And if ever a tree or log needs cutting up; I forsake the chainsaw in favor of an axe. There's a point about half-way through a huge oak tree when your triceps are pumped to the point of bursting and the endorphins just flood your system. It's such a high and it turns me into an animal. Many a fine lay has been motivated by cutting up a tree beforehand. lol

What's your lifting routine like? Do you do the same thing each workout, or do you split your routine? If the latter, how?

Depends on the day and how I'm feeling. Like I said, my workouts are weird to begin with. But sometimes I'll do a workout that I find I really like (skull-crushers comes to mind) and I do it for the next 4 or 5 workouts. But then I see the plateau, and I know I've gotta mix it up again. I'll then add 2 or 3 more workouts to the same muscle group for that day. (Skulls + pull-downs + close-grip bench, for example)

What exercises have worked really well for you? What are your faves?

My favorite workout is anything involving my triceps. I don't know why; I just really love the feeling I get from them. Maybe it's because they were always a problem muscle group for me until, after a shit-load of work, I found what works best for them and they exploded. I guess working my Tri's reminds me of how it feels to overcome something that absolutely will not allow you to overcome it.

I also greatly enjoy the pump I get from curls on the preacher-bench. I know I need to keep freeweights in the mix to maintain strength levels, but there's just something about the pump that I get on the bench that I just love.

Which ones do not seem to work for you?

Kickbacks. Can't do a thing with 'em.

Also the inclined-bench. My upper pecs are stubborn as fuck and the standard incline does nothing for them at all. It's only when I use an under-hand grip that I see any progress.

Which do you detest the most?

Squats, rows, calves and shrugs. Squats and rows never fail to make me queezy. Luckily, I've got good lats, so I don't have to work them as often as most people. One good session a week and they're good to go. (I also kayak a lot in the Summer, so that itself cuts my lat-workouts in half for that part of the year)

What, if anything, do you do for cardio?

The aformentioned tree-chopping, kayaking and sex. lol (Sex also qualifies as weight-lifting in some positions. Wink )

As it happens; weight-lifting itself is excellent for cardio, so it's not something I worry about. I've got a bad heart anyway, so running on a treadmill for an hour makes me nervous.

What kind of diet do you follow?

A kind that's nearly devoid of flavor, but high in muscle-building efficiency. Lots of grains, lots of proteins, lots of milk and lots of vitamins. Also lots of calories for me, because I have a high metabolism. I literally eat half a large pie every day and maintain these abs. Never in my life have I been even a little overweight.

Do you take supplements?

Creatine by GNC Pro Performance. That's it. Everything else I get from my food. I used to down supp.-oriented protein shakes, but I've kind of ventured from that over time.

which ones have you found effective?

Whenever I get someone who has trouble making gains, I religiously recommend Muscle Juice 2600. It's a high-calorie, high-protein shake (like, disgusting amounts of protein - more than the body can even take in at one time) and it blasted me past my hardgaining days. I started taking that shake and my muscles exploded.

It's expensive as hell ($60 a bucket), but it's well worth it. The only thing I would caution is taking it with water instead of milk. Milk adds to the calories, yes, but it also gels in your stomach and, combined with the nature of the shake itself, makes you feel like you're gonna puke for the next 2 or 3 hours. No fun.

Which have you tried that have not worked for you?

All the other weight-gaining shakes. They either make me feel sick or they're disgusting or they simply don't work for me.

Also, does anyone have an idea of whether you're supposed to take creatine only on the days you lift, or seven days a week, regardless of whether you lift that day or not?

You can take it every day because it actually does help your body and muscle progress even when you're not working out, but do take it twice a day (or more, depending on your diet plan) when you work out.

Also keep in mind that creatine is also found in beef and, to a lesser extent, chicken. So eating a big juicy steak for dinner supplies a decent (if not enormous) amount of creatine.

Personally, however, I only really take it on days when I lift. In the morning and about an hour before the workout - just to give me that extra "boost" of muscle energy and strength.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
14-04-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 07:06 PM by TheBlackKnight.)
Yeah my 350 is NOT impressive at all when you've got dude on youtube doing 8 plus. plus I'm prob not gonna max for a while because I'm still on the way up.

My bench is still garbage tho, I can barely get 3x10 at 185(body weight) and squats arnt much better.
15-04-2013, 11:00 AM
(14-04-2013 05:59 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Yeah my 350 is NOT impressive at all when you've got dude on youtube doing 8 plus. plus I'm prob not gonna max for a while because I'm still on the way up.

My bench is still garbage tho, I can barely get 3x10 at 185(body weight) and squats arnt much better.

350 is still a bigass rock. I have a goal of 500 at 50 yo. Only got a couple of months left and I'm stuck at 405. My bench sucks too, can't even press my 210 lb bodyweight. Surprised your squats are weak though, deadlifts and squats usually go hand in hand 'cause many of the same muscles are involved (except the traps obviously).

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
15-04-2013, 11:03 AM
(15-04-2013 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 05:59 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Yeah my 350 is NOT impressive at all when you've got dude on youtube doing 8 plus. plus I'm prob not gonna max for a while because I'm still on the way up.

350 is still a bigass rock. I have a goal of 500 at 50 yo. Only got a couple of months left and I'm stuck at 405. My bench sucks too, can't even press my 210 lb bodyweight. Surprised your squats are weak though, deadlifts and squats usually go hand in hand 'cause many of the same muscles are involved (except the traps obviously).

[Image: its-a-trap.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
16-04-2013, 07:09 PM
(15-04-2013 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  350 is still a bigass rock. I have a goal of 500 at 50 yo. Only got a couple of months left and I'm stuck at 405. My bench sucks too, can't even press my 210 lb bodyweight. Surprised your squats are weak though, deadlifts and squats usually go hand in hand 'cause many of the same muscles are involved (except the traps obviously).

I'm a little cautious with them because having ITB and doing a fair bit of this
[Image: 329394_q75.jpg]
has made my knees feel strange sometimes. I do religiously go to parralel tho. I might go heavy tomarrow just to feel it out .