The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 01:18 PM
RE: The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread
(16-04-2013 07:09 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  350 is still a bigass rock. I have a goal of 500 at 50 yo. Only got a couple of months left and I'm stuck at 405. My bench sucks too, can't even press my 210 lb bodyweight. Surprised your squats are weak though, deadlifts and squats usually go hand in hand 'cause many of the same muscles are involved (except the traps obviously).

I'm a little cautious with them because having ITB and doing a fair bit of this has made my knees feel strange sometimes. I do religiously go to parralel tho. I might go heavy tomarrow just to feel it out .

Shit, I wouldn't even bother going anywhere close to parallel then. I'd do like my brother does and go bigass heavy with 1/2 or even 1/4 squats. You ain't gonna be no professional powerlifter anyway so fuck their rules. My brother swears by heavyass partial reps, like sometimes only a couple of inches. Says he gets to full failure quicker and activates far more fibers. ... Nice pic by the way. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Re: The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread
Meh, I'm not one of those snap city form junkies, but I have no reason to use full ROM, I'm just being cautious. I also never use a spot unless maxing like today.

And I did just max 225 for bench for an assessment today. Finally:s

Mike Ohearn is 260#, shredded, and squats/deads at 8h and benches 6h and doesn't juice. Not saying I'll ever get that, but I have no excuse not to go big and correct.

I however do vary my reps each week.I'll go 3x10, then 5x5, then 3x3, and back down for the big 3, and usually 3x10 for the supporting stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
17-04-2013, 07:19 PM
After the 1st rep at 275, I was like

[Image: Sweetface.jpg]

so I did 3x3 at 255. Much better.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
18-04-2013, 07:07 PM
(17-04-2013 01:51 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Meh, I'm not one of those snap city form junkies, but I have no reason to use full ROM, I'm just being cautious. I also never use a spot unless maxing like today.

For full ROM I think Smith Machines are dangerous because they constrain the movement in a strict vertical direction which is not the path a natural full ROM takes and will promote injury. But for partial reps they serve as great spotters. If you're lifting a bigass weight through only the strongest few inches of the range of motion they are your spotter. And when you reach failure, there's a loudass clang which startles everyone in the gym. Big Grin

My personal trainer brother swears by them. And who am I to argue when I see his results. ... Dude's buttcrack goes halfway to his shoulders.

[Image: latspread_zpsf4bc73c5.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Re: The Weightlifting-Powerlifting-Bodybuilding Thread
Fuuuu
22-04-2013, 02:21 PM
To answer some of my own questions:

What kind of lifting are you into?

Something between bodybuilding and muscle toning. I’m never been into competitive bodybuilding—I’m not genetically gifted enough, nor do I have the personality for it. But I’m vain enough to like people to notice I work out, so size is not irrelevant.

How much do you lift in particular exercises?

On my present gym cycle (I started again seriously on March 1), I’m up to curling a 100-lb. bar for reps with fairly strict form. For chest I don’t do flat bench (I suck at it anyway), just inclines and declines, and they’re pretty weak (currently maxing at 185 for 3 or 4 reps). Squats are coming back, although I’ve never gone really heavy: I’m at 205 for 10 reps, to parallel. Once I get up to 225 I’ll be happy—no desire to go heavier, especially with my tentative lower back.

What are your goals, and how near are you to reaching them?

When I was young, the ideal male body touted in the mags was that of Steve Reeves. Yeah, I know, today he’d be laughed off the stage at the Mr. Northeast Podunk contest. But his symmetry and grace impressed me. (And OK, I thought he was pretty hunky too.) I read an article that said he epitomized the ancient Greek ideal of male-body symmetry and proportion: equal-size upper arms, neck, and calves. Reeves’s were all about 18”. And his waist was something like 29”. So I’ve had those proportions in mind as my goals. Never reached ’em, and at this stage in my life I probably never will, but I’m still trying to come as close as I can. Call it a hobby. I’m about an inch away on arms and an inch and a half on neck and calves. (BTW, does anyone know of any effective ways to add size to your neck? Nothing I try works. And wrestling bridges scare me.) As for waist, I’d be very happy at 32”, but sadly, that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.

Do you belong to a gym or do you lift at home?

Gym. Gold’s in Los Angeles.

What's your lifting routine like?

I currently work out four times a week, with the following split:

Workout 1: Chest; front and side delts; abs
Workout 2: Back; rear delts; calves
Workout 3: Arm; abs
Workout 4: Legs, including calves

My history is that I typically go great guns for two or three months; then something happens—work gets busy, or I’m away traveling, or I just get lazy—and I miss a workout, which makes it easy to miss the next one . . . and before you know it I haven’t been to the gym in months. And then I go back, and have to build back up to where I was when I left off. I’d like to see what kind of progress I can make if I workout religiously steadily for a year. Maybe this’ll be the year, although I do have three weeks of international travel coming up soon.

What exercises have worked really well for you? What are your faves? Which ones do not seem to work for you? Which do you detest the most?

I like to work arms (duh), although it can be grueling. And, believe it or not, calves. They’re my only naturally good body part, and I need to use pretty substantial weights to challenge ’em. I hate legs. In particular, I dread squats. But everyone says nothing else gives you results like squats, so I do ’em. My heart rate goes sky-high even after the first light set; nothing else does that to me. My pull-ups and chins suck; I still need to do ’em on the machine that counterbalances your bodyweight. But they’re getting better.

What, if anything, do you do for cardio? How do you balance lifting and cardio?

I used to do the recumbent bike at the gym for 45 minutes after every workout. Then I got a real road bike for my cardio. That was fine—when I was riding. But I fell off the wagon (not the bike) and haven’t ridden for a long time. And it shows. I need to get back into cardio pronto.

What kind of diet do you follow?

When I’m good, I follow a high-protein, moderately high fat, low carb diet, which works really well for me. As much as possible, I avoid the “white foods”—sugar, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes. Lots of meat, poultry, seafood, fresh fruits and veggies. When I’m bad (like right now, for example), I follow the “see food” diet—I see food, I eat it. (Rim shot, please.)

Do you take supplements?

A strong vitamin-mineral supplement every day. Creatine on workout days. Protein shakes for extra protein, mainly on workout days.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
22-04-2013, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 09:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
What kind of lifting are you into?

Me lift rock off ground. Big Grin

What are your goals, and how near are you to reaching them?

Main goal is to build muscle to reverse my insulin resistance. More muscles'll soak up my high sugars like a sponge. So I focus on the big ones: glutes, lats, and legs. Biceps and calves are in the noise when it comes to my blood sugars. Delts and traps rank higher. But to that end I do create little meaningless goals to motivate me. Still got a couple months to lift 500 lbs. by the age of 50. As far as progress, well I can't seem to break 405 on the deadlift and the insulin resistance ain't been reversed, but the prediabetes train is currently at least stopped in its tracks. Thumbsup

Do you belong to a gym or do you lift at home?

Got one at work. Bigass dumbbells at home.

What, if anything, do you do for cardio? How do you balance lifting and cardio?

Fuck cardio. I used to do it and then I started wearing a heart rate monitor and reading about HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) and compared my heart rate with interval sprints to sets of heavy ass deadlifts and squats. Sprints -200 bpm, Squats/Deadlifts - 220 bpm, 50 yo man. Fuck cardio. If HITT is the next generation of cardio then lifting bigass rocks off the ground is just like "Where the fuck you been?"

What kind of diet do you follow?

Blood sugar diet. If I eat shit that raises my 2-hour postprandial sugars higher than 120mg/dl or my 1-hour postprandial higher than 160mg/dl, I don't eat it again.

Do you take supplements?

A shitload. So many it warrants its own thread.

(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  (BTW, does anyone know of any effective ways to add size to your neck? Nothing I try works. And wrestling bridges scare me.)

Bulk up the traps, the neck can't help but come along for the ride. Used to be a big fan of shrugs, but I've found that deadlifts hit them even harder.

(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  On my present gym cycle (I started again seriously on March 1), I’m up to curling a 100-lb. bar for reps with fairly strict form.

Damn. Note to self: Do not let old man get a grip on you. Fake high, go low in the dohyō or you're gonna get sumoed. Big Grin

(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  When I was young, the ideal male body touted in the mags was that of Steve Reeves. Yeah, I know, today he’d be laughed off the stage at the Mr. Northeast Podunk contest. But his symmetry and grace impressed me.

For me it was Frank Zane. Yeah he was juicing, but unlike the supersized freaks, Zane's physique is plausibly achievable with just juicing testosterone, hard work, diet, and great genes. Hell, based on the pics, I know old man is still juicing the testosterone, but hell so am I. Tongue

[Image: zaneyoung.jpg][Image: zaneold.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-04-2013, 12:05 AM
(22-04-2013 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What, if anything, do you do for cardio? How do you balance lifting and cardio?

Fuck cardio. I used to do it and then I started wearing a heart rate monitor and reading about HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) and compared my heart rate with interval sprints to sets of heavy ass deadlifts and squats. Sprints -200 bpm, Squats/Deadlifts - 220 bpm, 50 yo man. Fuck cardio. If HITT is the next generation of cardio then lifting bigass rocks off the ground is just like "Where the fuck you been?"

Jeez. I can barely get my HR up to 130. But then again I'm part bionic, with this snazzy aortic valve made of cow parts, so maybe mine isn't supposed to go that high.

Quote:
(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  (BTW, does anyone know of any effective ways to add size to your neck? Nothing I try works. And wrestling bridges scare me.)

Bulk up the traps, the neck can't help but come along for the ride. Used to be a big fan of shrugs, but I've found that deadlifts hit them even harder.

I do shrugs; never tried deadlifts. Who knew they help your traps! I'll have to try 'em.

Quote:
(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  On my present gym cycle (I started again seriously on March 1), I’m up to curling a 100-lb. bar for reps with fairly strict form.

Damn. Note to self: Do not let old man get a grip on you. Fake high, go low in the dohyō or you're gonna get sumoed. Big Grin

Not to worry. Old man would be worthless in the dohyō.

Quote:
(22-04-2013 02:21 PM)cufflink Wrote:  When I was young, the ideal male body touted in the mags was that of Steve Reeves. Yeah, I know, today he’d be laughed off the stage at the Mr. Northeast Podunk contest. But his symmetry and grace impressed me.

For me it was Frank Zane. Yeah he was juicing, but unlike the supersized freaks, Zane's physique is plausibly achievable with just juicing testosterone, hard work, diet, and great genes. Hell, based on the pics, I know old man is still juicing the testosterone, but hell so am I. Tongue

Good ol' Frank. Yup, he was iconic for me too. That's one helluva body for a 64-year-old. Inspiration for those of us in that decade. Today he's close to 71. It'd be nice to think he's still in that shape.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.